im done

• Thread starter imported_Charlie
  • Start date
Thread starter #1

imported_Charlie

jury duty

I got randomly picked for jury duty. I\'m on call until August. They can call me at any time and I have to go within 4 days. My problem is that I\'m so anti-lawyer, judicial system. court system, police system, and government in general I\'m not sure I can be a fair juror. How do I let them know this?

Also, the questionnaire they sent me asked if I had ever been convicted of a felony. I had to call may lawyer to find out but, it seems I haven\'t. But, what about those charges, investigations, them listening in on my phone calls, and other times I\'ve been fucked up the ass by my over paid, under worked, cops, lawyer, and judicial system. I admit it\'s been 15 years. I\'m glad they forgot about me. The last thing I want to do now is get there attention again when I vote somebody not guilty even though they want to screw the poor man over. Then they will be mad at me again and start harassing me all over.

I can\'t afford a lawyer to get out of this. What should I do?????

Thread starter #3

BlueByU

jury duty

Ask them, \"Did a (insert random nationality) do it? I\'ve always wanted to see them suckers fry.\" That should do it. :D

Thread starter #4

CaptainZilog

jury duty

Take solace in the fact that you probably won\'t make it past voir dire.

Thread starter #5

VETECISFORGRANDMAS

jury duty

My father made it all the way through and had to serve 5 days for a whopping 90$ of pay. He was himself and they still picked him. He said that he believes everyone is a crook, even judges. I guess they liked his honesty :dunno:

Thread starter #6

SeventyCutlass S

jury duty

i was on Jury duty for a high-profile case here in Fresno last year in January and February. they said the trial was supposed to last 4 - 6 weeks so I figured that i could do it for the pay, plus Walgreens would have given me full pay for UP to 6 weeks. i figured why not. then i got the job offer of a lifetime, so I had to write a letter to the judge that I had to get off of the jury, my future depended on it. and he let me go. man, I\'m glad i got off that Jury or else I wouldn\'t be where I am today. funny how stuff like that works.

Thread starter #7

bojo68

jury duty

I was on a jury pool, and while it was a drag, I did have a little fun. It just so happened that I\'d ran for office not to long before that, and, the secretary of state that administers all the campaigns was in the jury pool. He had threatened to sue me over campaign financing, but had to back off because I was baiting him. So while in the jury pool I takes the state book he published, and am showing the potential jurrors that in this state the jury judges the law AND the FACT, according to the state constitution, in the state book, that he published. He wouldn\'t say a word, there was a high school history teacher there that was more than fascinated
I did get called to one trial in which a cop had been hurt or killed, and the case was going to swing on liability of a pepper spray manufacturer. During voir dire(French for jury tampering) I told them I\'d been sprayed with pepper spray and purposely fought it off to keep my defenses from being compromised. Bingo, gone.

Thread starter #8
jury duty

I got off jury duty twice by telling them i had to work.

\"Shes like well whats the problem, do you get paid for not going to work?\"

I was like...\"uhh, do you get paid when you dont go to work?\"

shes like <snort> \"no\"

.\"...haha well i dont either...\"

\"Well, looks like your gonna be excused.\"

:dunce:

Thread starter #9

imported_Charlie

jury duty

Well, all the questionnaire then sent me asked is if I had ever been convicted of a felony. I had to say no or I would have been in contempt of court for lying. Now the letter I have in hand says I qualify to be a juror. It\'s for 4 months starting may first. If there is a trial during this period they give me 20 bucks a day plus expenses of 0.27 cents a mile. (who can drive on 27 cents a mile anymore.) Triales only take 3 days. I\'m done after 10 days of actual service. BUT, I have to tell them any vacation time I want this summer right now. Heck, I don\'t know when, of if, I\'m going on vacation. Other wise they send me a letter 5 days before the trial and if I don\'t go I\'m in contempt of court. Some times a trial that is scheduled does not occur. So, every day after the letter comes I have to call a number and listen to a recorded message to see if the trial is still on. This is the same number as the court house fax machine so I can only call after 4:30 Pm and 8 AM. If I drive down there and the thing has been canceled I\'m out of luck.

Again, my biggest concern is pissing off the judge, county attorney, or the cops. Then they will make my life hell. It took 10 years of hiding out and not having a life before they forgot about me. Some of the old cops retired. Some died of old age. Now there all going to get to know my face again and my name will be on there tips of there lips again. I\'m just now getting my life back. I have a girlfriend and a boat. I don\'t need them following me, listening in on my phone, and watching my every move again like they did 10 to 15 years ago.

I wonder if I should call this court administrator who\'s number is listed on the letter and tell her my concerns?

Oh, and I work on a salary basis so, I can\'t use that excuse. Although after I get the letter saying I must go if were in the field then I can use a hardship excuse to get sent free. But, if I were not and they call my employer/brother to check I better be telling the truth because I would not expect him to lye.

Thread starter #10

KY Jim

jury duty

Charlie, sounds to me like you need to have a Heart-to-Heart with yourself. On the one hand, you\'re afraid of being persecuted, and Rightfully so, because we ALL know they WILL and DO do stuff like that. On the other hand, you have to look yourself in the mirror every morning, and rolling over and kissing ass will NOT allow you to do this. Now, me, I\'d just go in, do the Jury Duty if I couldn\'t get out of it, and make my Decisions on what\'s Right and Just, REGARDLESS OF THE LAW, and anyone who doesn\'t like it can Kiss My Ass and Bark Like a Fox. I\'d explain my little \'Technical Problem\' to the judge privately, also, and let him know that ANY type of harassment will start some SERIOUSLY Bad Shit that he DON\'T want on The National News every day for a month. Hey, just remember, They ASKED for it by ORDERING you to Appear. So Show Up, and make them wish to God they\'d LOST your name and address. If you disregard the judge or D.A\'s orders on how you\'re to view the \'evidence\' that is provided, or what your findings \'MUST\' be, and go by what YOU know to be Right and Just ANYHOW, they Won\'t call you anymore. ASK me how I KNOW. They don\'t want YOUR findings, they want your SIGNATURE on THEIR decisions, so the Accused can\'t come back and blow THEIR heads off. This way, they can say, \" Hey, man, I wasn\'t on the Jury, I was just the Prosecutor, Judge, etc. Don\'t shoot ME, it was THE JURY!\" Jurymembers ARE subjected to Coercion, Duress, and occasional out-and-out threats by OTHER Jury members. That\'s why it\'s done Behind Closed Doors, so The People don\'t SEE this. There was a retired and politically connected COP on the jury I sat on, and when I voted Not Guilty, he threatened to \'have his friends make it HARD on me\' unless I changed my vote. I told him to go ahead, that everyone KNEW he was one of the biggest Crooks in the county and he should have had his guts shot out YEARS ago, and I was JUST the feller to DO it, and his \'friends\' would be damned lucky if I didn\'t smoke THEM,too. This IN FRONT of the County Attorney and ten other Jurors, one of whom was my Aunt. The C.A. was one of the \'friends\' as well. Needless to say, I have only sat on the ONE jury, and I apparently fucked the \'trial\' ALL up. Hey, I was 21, and bought my FIRST .44 Mag 8 months before and was GOOD with it, so I wasn\'t afraid of ANYONE except God. Oh, yeah, they wanted to f$%k me over so bad you could see it in their faces, but I think they realized that it wasn\'t worth getting shot just to win a pissing contest. And back then I didn\'t care. I was still stinging and smoking from the Burning of their Public Schools and all the Hell I went through therein and I wanted BLOOD. Probably why I don\'t get invited to Class Reunions. Or Family Reunions, far as that goes.
You just Decide what Charlie can handle, and do THAT. Anybody has a complaint, give them reason to FEAR YOU.
KY Jim

Thread starter #11

KY Jim

jury duty

P.S. The reason I voted against the rest of them was because I had a few questions, and they had no answers, because the cops who did the half-assed \'Investigation\' didn\'t think to ask or Find Out, and I was NOT By God gonna send a man to Prison without being CERTAIN that he BELONGED there. Hey, the Rule is,\'Beyond a Reasonable Doubt\' and I HAD a Reasonable Doubt.
KY Jim

Thread starter #12

imported_Charlie

jury duty

[quote name=\'KY Jim\']P.S. The reason I voted against the rest of them was because I had a few questions, and they had no answers, because the cops who did the half-assed \'Investigation\' didn\'t think to ask or Find Out, and I was NOT By God gonna send a man to Prison without being CERTAIN that he BELONGED there. Hey, the Rule is,\'Beyond a Reasonable Doubt\' and I HAD a Reasonable Doubt.
KY Jim[/QUOTE]

I hear what you say. And, yes I\'m afraid the whole thing will be a smoke screen. If they want me to rule without any reasonable doubt then that is what I would have to do.

Thread starter #13

imported_Charlie

jury duty

What if it\'s a stupid law or some version of it.

For example:

Recently a bar owner got into trouble for selling beer to a minor. This is his second offense. The first time he plead guilty and they shut down his bar for several days. Understand, he did not do it on purpose but, he did not check the mans ID. This first time.

He got in trouble for selling to a minor again. This time he check the ID but, it was a fake ID. And, the police are even in the paper saying it was a good fake.

But, he still sold alcohol to a minor.

Is he guilty or not?

By the way I have no idea if this is the jury I will be called on. I have not been called to set on any jury\'s yet. If this is the trial I get called on I will have to excuse myself.

Thread starter #14

DainBramage77

jury duty

[quote name=\'Charlie\']What if it\'s a stupid law or some version of it.

For example:

Recently a bar owner got into trouble for selling beer to a minor. This is his second offense. The first time he plead guilty and they shut down his bar for several days. Understand, he did not do it on purpose but, he did not check the mans ID. This first time.

He got in trouble for selling to a minor again. This time he check the ID but, it was a fake ID. And, the police are even in the paper saying it was a good fake.

Is he guilty or not?

/QUOTE]

Yes. He is. It\'s HIS lawyers job to fight the charges and attempt to get the law changed via the outcome. It\'s only your job to decide if he violated the law that\'s already ON the books. But they\'ll explain in detail all about that if/when they actually use you.

I just did Grand Jury last year. That was actually very interesting, and if it wasn\'t such a long/drawn out strain on my life and job, I\'d do it again in a heartbeat. You learn a lot, and find out a lot about various local scumbags you would have never known otherwise.

As far as them finding out about your past, I wouldn\'t be too nervous. Once your on the jury, you\'re just another face to them.

Thread starter #15

imported_Charlie

jury duty

Still, the man may be guilty by a technicality. But, if I were on his trial, and I probley wont be. But, if I was I\'d feel awful guilty about the outcome. Because this is his second offense he will get 30 day in jail, a big fine, and most importantly. He will loose his liquor license and his business. Seems like a shame to ruin the poor mans life when he did what he was suppose to and carded the kid.

This is why I feel I can not be a fair juror. I would see the outcome of the vote and not just the letter of the law.

Thread starter #16

CaptainZilog

jury duty

[quote name=\'DainBramage77\']It\'s only your job to decide if he violated the law that\'s already ON the books. But they\'ll explain in detail all about that if/when they actually use you.[/QUOTE]

There is the concept of jury nullification. Most judges hate the shit out of it and will most likely declare a mistrial if the jury attempts it, but it does exist and you can attempt it.

Thread starter #17

imported_Charlie

jury duty

[quote name=\'CaptainZilog\']There is the concept of jury nullification. Most judges hate the shit out of it and will most likely declare a mistrial if the jury attempts it, but it does exist and you can attempt it.[/QUOTE]

I don\'t think most judges in my area hate it. In fact they use the final instructions to the jury to sway the verdict in whatever way they see fit. For example, in the case I already mentioned if the judge wanted to see the man found guilty during the instructions to the jury he could say things like, \"it doesn\'t matter how you feel, the law is the law\". Or, \"you are only to judge this case by the fact provided pertain to this one example and according to the interpretation of the law provided. Even if that law may not be in your personal views\".

On the other hand. if the likes the guy or something he could say, \" you now have to go vote your best concisions\" or, \" now you should go vote and do what you think is right\".

Now , I understand these are very bad examples. But, it is possible to sway a group of peoples opinions by just saying a few key words. I know that. It\'s used by politicians and other people like that all the time. I\'m just not smart enough to use the same language myself.

(My girlfriend would say that is because I have a good hart. Or, some shit like that.)

Thread starter #18

VETECISFORGRANDMAS

jury duty

[quote name=\'Charlie\']What if it\'s a stupid law or some version of it.

For example:

Is he guilty or not?

By the way I have no idea if this is the jury I will be called on. I have not been called to set on any jury\'s yet. If this is the trial I get called on I will have to excuse myself.[/QUOTE]

My state has an fake ID exception to the law that you can\'t serve to minors. There is also an exception where if a reasonable person would believe a person to be over 21. If you are handed a fake ID, and you let that person in, you are covered for the most part.

Thread starter #19

imported_Charlie

jury duty

I don\'t know if we have that law or not. Really, they want to shut the guy down because there are so many fights at his bar. The problem is the fights are being started by guys from out side our area. There working on constructing the local wind towers and there at the bar getting drunk and into fights every weekend. There from Texas. Apparently people from Texas have some sort of mental problems. There answer to everything is to get into a drunken fight. At least it gives our cops something to do and keeps the jail full. It\'s like a free tax on Texans.

Thread starter #20

CaptainZilog

jury duty

[quote name=\'Charlie\'] Apparently people from Texas have some sort of mental problems. [/QUOTE]

I\'ve been saying this for years.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML