If I swap a used drivers door module, does anything work?

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
I am looking to get the car functional and only need the car to run correctly and the seat(s) to adjust.

Is that possible?
Hi, JC-Towncar.

Absolutely. However, if you're doing the work yourself, you will need to get Forscan and the appropriate Windows notebook computer and interface to do so.

The DDM is one of those parts that needs to be "programmed" into the car. A Ford or Lincoln Dealer would use factory software to do so. Forscan provides the same capability to the general mechanic. There are other posters who can offer their personal experience using this product.

Good luck.

JC-Towncar

Hi, JC-Towncar.

Absolutely. However, if you're doing the work yourself, you will need to get Forscan and the appropriate Windows notebook computer and interface to do so.

The DDM is one of those parts that needs to be "programmed" into the car. A Ford or Lincoln Dealer would use factory software to do so. Forscan provides the same capability to the general mechanic. There are other posters who can offer their personal experience using this product.

Good luck.
I have read elsewhere that a used module can not be re-programmed. Is that a lie?

The DEALER said they could NOT make a used module work in my car.

All2kool

Portland, OR
The DDM is one of those parts that needs to be "programmed" into the car.
I've read here and on other forums over the years that if the donor DDM comes from a car with the same exact options, it's a Plug-N-Play swap. I've also read that if the donor DDM comes from a vehicle that didn't have an option that you do have, the DDM will still work but that option won't function unless programmed with ForScan.

JC-Towncar

I've read here and on other forums over the years that if the donor DDM comes from a car with the same exact options, it's a Plug-N-Play swap. I've also read that if the donor DDM comes from a vehicle that didn't have an option that you do have, the DDM will still work but that option won't function unless programmed with ForScan.
I got a replacement DDM from a 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature (JUST like my car) and swapped out the DDM and the seats STILL do NOT work.

They will slide back when the key is removed and slide forward when it is installed, but the adjustment buttons do NOT work.

I have ordered a ForScan interface and will install the software on my laptop, but I am worried that the dealer turned off the seat controllers when they tested to determine what was wrong. They quoted a price to replace the DDM and when I went in to have them verify the cause, they doubled the price and said I would have to pay extra to have them set the DDM up. It took over an hour ($95.00) to check that the seats didn't work and said they pulled the door panel and there is power at the DDM but the DDM is saying NO POWER. Am I getting reamed? I expected the other DDM to at least move the seats. The key in/out "movement of the seat" is still working. I am worried it is something else and they are just looking to give a tech some free hours of labor.

HTML