I have a 98 lincoln continental......i need help

SandersT

I have a beautiful 98 lincoln continental, and ive put some money in time and time again. I replaced the shocks,thermostat,water pump,tics, oil pressure switch, battery etc... Now this in a lil over two years but the car was running smooth. Now it keeps overheating at a creep, then it says check transmission. I dont know where to start.

flaokie

If the transmission has a problem or it is slipping, the ATF will heat up.
The overly hot ATF goes through a cooler which is located in the radiator, and can slowly start to heat up the coolant in the radiator.
The increase in the temperature of the coolant results in less heat being removed from the engine. Then the engine starts to overheat.
It works both ways - an overheating engine with an elevated coolant temperature can cause a rise in ATF temperature.

Justme63

Unfortunately these cars have one major fault, a weak transmission. It was originally designed for a V6 in the Taurus and Sable. My first would get hot and literally boil over and spit fluid, shift bad and slip. I've rep!aced it with a remanufactured unit at a shop for about $2000, labor included, still acts weird at times. If you HAVE NOT had shifting problems check the thermostat. Look on YouTube for video. Good Luck

SandersT

Unfortunately these cars have one major fault, a weak transmission. It was originally designed for a V6 in the Taurus and Sable. My first would get hot and literally boil over and spit fluid, shift bad and slip. I've rep!aced it with a remanufactured unit at a shop for about $2000, labor included, still acts weird at times. If you HAVE NOT had shifting problems check the thermostat. Look on YouTube for video. Good Luck
Thanks... changed thermostat already

SandersT

If the transmission has a problem or it is slipping, the ATF will heat up.
The overly hot ATF goes through a cooler which is located in the radiator, and can slowly start to heat up the coolant in the radiator.
The increase in the temperature of the coolant results in less heat being removed from the engine. Then the engine starts to overheat.
It works both ways - an overheating engine with an elevated coolant temperature can cause a rise in ATF temperature.
This kinda makes sense...

HTML