I am SO upset! The "helicoil" repair on my engine either failed, because I "popped" another spark plug from the cylinder head!

Jaskim06

Sorry to hear this. Hope its a failed coil. There's a way better kit like that I saw not too long ago on youtube. A guy was testing them and had the machinery to do it and those didn't fair too well. I'll look and see if I can find it and let you know what they are called and send you the link to the video so you can see for yourself. Let you know asap.

raiderfan247365

Western Oregon
Sorry to hear this. Hope its a failed coil. There's a way better kit like that I saw not too long ago on youtube. A guy was testing them and had the machinery to do it and those didn't fair too well. I'll look and see if I can find it and let you know what they are called and send you the link to the video so you can see for yourself. Let you know asap.
My mechanic used something called a timesert?

Captain O

Well, that's a bummer for sure, but the timing could have been a LOT worse if it had happened on your trip!
Praise God for that! I got it back to Dr. Auto (halfway between St. Helens, OR and Scappoose, OR). The mechanic determined that it was another cylinder that lost/popped its spark plug.
I have already paid the $222.77 (in advance) for the mechanic to perform the work. He's also going to let me know why the bloody car is constantly coding.

What could cause the constant need for the "helicoil" type repair? (I understand the "shallow thread" problem, so there's no need to restate/enumerate this design flaw).

Last edited:

Ballyhoo

Shortly after buying my 1998 new, within a few years, this became a none issue and Ford upgraded the design to Performance Improved heads with a slightly different valve angle, better valve seals and deeper threads to eliminate this. With that in mind, sometime around 2017, I upgrade to the
2-V PI heads which were ported and polished with 268 Comp Cams installed. The largest you could add without additional engine work. With a new intake, different than the previous heads, and for my own preference an upgraded BBK throttle body. Just these direct replacement modifications jumped from 221 h.p. to just over 300, which if I add a few other things could easily be near 350-375 h.p. Doing this yourself, if you're abilities allow, run in the neighborhood of $3,000. To have it done, somewhere around $6,000. In the end, it looks stock and runs so much better.

wolf_walker

Timesert the better way to go, helicoils have a history of failing in this application.
Despite what anyone may say, the later motors still do this crap pretty often, just less often
than the earlier ones. I'd either do or have someone pull all the other plugs and
make sure they are torqued in correctly.

Captain O

I'm having this done as I write this. He's also checking to see what is causing the engine to "code". (We'll get to the bottom of this).

Captain O

My 2nd repair is working fine (just like the first). The thermostat there a "code" (it is working just fine as well). The Lincoln there a "vapor" code. These were cleared and now the Lincoln runs like new. I drove it about 29 miles and it hasn't thrown a code since.
BTW, it was another cylinder that did this, not the cylinder head that had been originally been repaired.

Jaskim06

On youtube it's called Thread insert death match. He's a professional machinist that knows what hes doing with the right tools to test the repairs out. Very interesting considering our beloved cars have this issue sometimes. Glad you found the issue. Good luck to you sir. Semper Fi

Jaskim06

Shortly after buying my 1998 new, within a few years, this became a none issue and Ford upgraded the design to Performance Improved heads with a slightly different valve angle, better valve seals and deeper threads to eliminate this. With that in mind, sometime around 2017, I upgrade to the
2-V PI heads which were ported and polished with 268 Comp Cams installed. The largest you could add without additional engine work. With a new intake, different than the previous heads, and for my own preference an upgraded BBK throttle body. Just these direct replacement modifications jumped from 221 h.p. to just over 300, which if I add a few other things could easily be near 350-375 h.p. Doing this yourself, if you're abilities allow, run in the neighborhood of $3,000. To have it done, somewhere around $6,000. In the end, it looks stock and runs so much better.
What intake did you use? A all aluminum for a 2v mustang? I've not saw alot of intakes for lincoln. 2v Ford will work but mostly just plastic with metal water crossover.

wolf_walker

What intake did you use? A all aluminum for a 2v mustang? I've not saw alot of intakes for lincoln. 2v Ford will work but mostly just plastic with metal water crossover.

There's a number of them, all for mustangs of course but a 4.6 2v is a 4.6 2v. Plenty of dyno shootouts online for them, those cams too.
Almost anything you do to this motor short of forced induction makes it even less suited to regular around town daily use in this car imo, meaning, you trade what little low end it has for more mid and high end. I dunno about you but between the sheer mass, the soft suspension and the lazy trans and all the give in all the bushings I don't find it especially gratifying to wind these things out. They need another hundred ft/lbs at 1500rpm. It's not hard to get power, but getting it where a two ton car needs it out of a small ohc motor is a bit of a trick.

Now if you do a ton of highway driving, that might be a different matter. It's where these cars excell for sure. Ironic they are called a "Town" car.

Captain O

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, There is one "fly in the ointment"... Now my horn doesn't work. :(

Last edited:

Jaskim06

There's a number of them, all for mustangs of course but a 4.6 2v is a 4.6 2v. Plenty of dyno shootouts online for them, those cams too.
Almost anything you do to this motor short of forced induction makes it even less suited to regular around town daily use in this car imo, meaning, you trade what little low end it has for more mid and high end. I dunno about you but between the sheer mass, the soft suspension and the lazy trans and all the give in all the bushings I don't find it especially gratifying to wind these things out. They need another hundred ft/lbs at 1500rpm. It's not hard to get power, but getting it where a two ton car needs it out of a small ohc motor is a bit of a trick.

Now if you do a ton of highway driving, that might be a different matter. It's where these cars excell for sure. Ironic they are called a "Town" car.
I feel the same. A turbo or such is nice but I'd rather have torque. Only ones I've seen was up our alley was the Kenne Bell supercharged kit. Plenty of torque and another 100hp. Thats power and torque you can use down low and in the mid power range. Like you said thats where it needs it with our land yachts. Thank you. I thought it was mustang parts but now that 3d printers and tech is getting cheaper people are doing some amazing stuff. I'll screen shot that cam profile. I got a timing chain to do this summer on my 99 Cartier with 252k. Be a good project to try it out on. If its as great as you say I'll do my 07. Its just the throttle lag on my 07 compared to 99. 99 takes off squats and goes, 07 has a small lag then goes like crazy. Almost like turbo lag really. I wish people would come up with a good computerized gadget to fix this issue. All ford's around the switch to no throttle cable has this issue. They got it right on newer autos. Idk just my experience. Thank you for your info. Semper Fi

wolf_walker

It's possible a tuner could make that throttle lag better, they can alter shift points and firmness as well I'm sure.
One of the reasons I bought my 04 was it was still cable throttle.

Jaskim06

It's possible a tuner could make that throttle lag better, they can alter shift points and firmness as well I'm sure.
One of the reasons I bought my 04 was it was still cable throttle.
Yes thats a good idea. I can fix cars and fabricate but computer stuff is something I'd like to learn about. They have for mustang 4.62v so I'm guessing it'd work on town car. Edge Is one of them. 359.99 last time I checked. I see alot of 50-100 plug in devices that claim to work on this issue and shift points etc but they all have bad reviews and people say not much difference. Idk without using it myself. My uncle had a game bank's tuner for a ford truck in early 90s with a 460. It made a great difference but it was almost a grand back then with the headers and tuner. I'll do some searching and let you know what they say about price to do this lil job.

wolf_walker

For a single time, you're better off taking it somewhere that knows what they are doing, preferably with a chassis dyno to tune it on. I'm sure ford left some performance on the table if you're ok with premium fuel and such.