HP / TQ vs Octane

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

sagosto

I've read a ton of conflicting information on this. The Aviator is rated 400/415 but at what octane? 87? 93? If 93, what's the specs at 87 octane? I have a GT so 494/630 but does that only apply when EV range is > 0? Or is there some in the reservoir for non-EV driving.

I've read a ton of conflicting information on this. The Aviator is rated 400/415 but at what octane? 87? 93? If 93, what's the specs at 87 octane? I have a GT so 494/630 but does that only apply when EV range is > 0? Or is there some in the reservoir for non-EV driving.
Based on my experience my GT is pretty quick even when on 0 so it seems to save some but don't have exact numbers. However on the HP numbers that's typically 93. I know for my Conti which has the same engine it was always based on 93 for the full 400. Not sure if there are any precise measurements out there for the difference. Also if you plan to try 93 one thing I would note is at least from my experience without a tuner it takes about a tank to realize its running 93 and optimize for it. Overall since I am in California I run 91 vs 87 which seems to me to give it better performance. Only way I can do 93 is to mix race gas with 91 which I have done but gets expensive quick. I believe the tuner company that I use on my conti said it was about a 10hp difference between the 91 vs 93 tune.

bbf2530

Hi sagosto. As per Lincoln/Ford, full HP/TQ are achieved using 93 octane premium fuel.

You will see a drop of ~20-25 HP using 87 octane regular. 91 octane will essentially split the difference.

Good luck.

sagosto

Hi sagosto. As per Lincoln/Ford, full HP/TQ are achieved using 93 octane premium fuel.

You will see a drop of ~20-25 HP using 87 octane regular. 91 octane will essentially split the difference.

Good luck.

Thanks. This is what I suspected. They are pulling timing and/or boost with the lower octane. One should not complain as you can still use lower octane which is nice. What about for the GT? Is 494/634 ONLY available when EV is available? If so, that stinks because "21" miles goes very quickly. I wonder if there is some 'reserve' as it takes a long time to charge when at 0%.

Vicrey

I believe most EVs are provisioned to restrict actual battery charge/use to a certain percentage to allow for regen return storage and for overall battery longevity. I find this to be true with my GT because even when I have 0 EV range, it still operates in hybrid mode (at least in Preserve EV, Normal, and Conserve modes, in my observation). I do feel the “boost” even at 0 EV range.

I believe most EVs are provisioned to restrict actual battery charge/use to a certain percentage to allow for regen return storage and for overall battery longevity. I find this to be true with my GT because even when I have 0 EV range, it still operates in hybrid mode (at least in Preserve EV, Normal, and Conserve modes, in my observation). I do feel the “boost” even at 0 EV range.
I agree there and excite still seems to give good performance for me as well.