How to read the oil dipstick on a 1989 TC

G-481313

My dipstick is original and I can't understand how to read it. The little area between add and full is cross hatched yet when when I change my oil with 5 quarts it reads way above the little cross hatched area. Where exactly is full?

Many thanks all

Corsart

My dipstick is original and I can't understand how to read it. The little area between add and full is cross hatched yet when when I change my oil with 5 quarts it reads way above the little cross hatched area. Where exactly is full?

Many thanks all
Why do you have 2 accounts and two posts here?

The cross hatched area is the "Sweet spot", so as long as you're in there you're fine. I prefer to be at the uppermost range.

The top notch or "full" mark is the maximum amount, anything over and you risk aerating the oil which is bad. If yours is over the max mark....how?...then you should get some oil out.

If you change the oil yourself (or go to a good mechanic), make sure you drain all the oil....10 minutes is usually insufficient for a complete refill...and when refilling, leave a little out, start the engine to fill the filter, turn engine off and wait a few minutes, and recheck and add if necessary. Repeat until you're in the uppermost hatched area but under the "max" mark or notch/hole.

Koach

It sounds basic, but be sure you're starting your engine, checking for leaks, and allowing the filter to replenish before verifying the level.

I've experienced similar with the trans pan drain/fill only to test drive and find it overfilled...based on quantities I found online.

If that scenario is happening and it's showing overfilled, then you may want to verify that you have the correct dipstick...stranger things have happened. Especially given the age and ownership over the years...