• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

How to put into neutral with no key?

Cozzy

My 2004 Lincoln LS V8 was stolen, and recovered but without the key. In trying to put it on a trailer to take it to a locksmith to have a jet made, but can't move it without putting it into neutral. Is there some way to put it into neutral without a key?

bbf2530

My 2004 Lincoln LS V8 was stolen, and recovered but without the key. In trying to put it on a trailer to take it to a locksmith to have a jet made, but can't move it without putting it into neutral. Is there some way to put it into neutral without a key?
Hi Cozzy. Sorry, I don't know the procedure off the top of my head. Maybe another member will jump in and be able to help with that.

In the meantime, here are two other possible solutions: First, have you checked your Owners Manual to see if there is a way to shift into neutral?
Also, wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to have a mobile locksmith come to the car instead of towing the car there? Just trying to give you some alternate possibilities.

If you do not have your Owners Manual copy, you can download a PDF version here: Your Lincoln Ownership Experience Begins Here

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

don-ohio

My first thought.........Have the locksmith come to you. All he has to do is turn the key and it'll pull out of park.
Second thought....I'll look in the manual to see how to disconnect cable from DTC on tranny.

don-ohio

Looking at the manual, you jack up the driver side and block it up,and slide under and take the shifter cable end off the trans lever. Just move the tranny lever to reverse or neutral and it will roll.
I put a DTC on mine years ago, but I can't remember too well. DON'T move the DTC unit at all. They must be aligned when replacing them. Block it up well, and block the wheels from rolling both directions because yer taking it out of park while yer un der it.

HTML