How to disable fake engine sound

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I like the sound my car makes when it accelerates, but I would prefer that it makes no sound at all. This thread in the MKT forum suggests it can be disabled: Disable fake engine noise? 15 MKT is anyone familiar with the proposed feature change in post #6?

I will talk to my dealer next week if there is no sync menu for this feature removal.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
The proposed fix for many Ford vehicles is to modify a parameter in the ACM to insert a 0 in this location "ACM 727-01-01 xxxx x0xx xxxx ". The ACM is the Audio Control Module. Here is a video of what the ACM looks like and where it is located in a 2017 Ford Fusion:
(just for interest).

I don't have Forscan software to make that change. Anyone tried that software on a Continental?

Anyone notice if the settings for comfort, standard or sport mode affect the engine sound through the speakers? I don't remember the engine sound when I took a demo out for a test drive using Comfort mode, and I have been using the Standard mode setting for a long time.

brucelinc

Minneapolis
The proposed fix for many Ford vehicles is to modify a parameter in the ACM to insert a 0 in this location "ACM 727-01-01 xxxx x0xx xxxx ". The ACM is the Audio Control Module. Here is a video of what the ACM looks like and where it is located in a 2017 Ford Fusion:
(just for interest).

I don't have Forscan software to make that change. Anyone tried that software on a Continental?

Anyone notice if the settings for comfort, standard or sport mode affect the engine sound through the speakers? I don't remember the engine sound when I took a demo out for a test drive using Comfort mode, and I have been using the Standard mode setting for a long time.
I am pretty sure that Comfort and Normal are the same in terms of engine sound and calibration. Sport, however, pipes more engine sound into the cabin. The owners manual seems to confirm that.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Thanks, I hope it is Normal and Sport sharing the engine sound in lesser and greater amounts while Comfort is quiet.

The manual does seems to confirm the Sport mode in Driving Control being more vigorous i.e. "The engine responds more directly to your inputs and takes on a more powerful tone" Normal mode setting also has a noticeable engine tone which is perhaps less powerful than Sport, but still described as "Engaging" in Lincoln speak.

I changed my drive control setting to Comfort and will see tomorrow how it performs. There is no description or implication of engine power. Sounds like what I remember (quiet), but I hope the suspension damping is better up to the job than what I remember.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
The Comfort mode setting in Drive Control reduces the engine sound level substantially in my Continental. It is still there to some extent but I am no longer pressing harder on the gas pedal to hear the exuberant sound.

The softer suspension setting was OK today but no road heaving to really test it. Steering seemed lighter, but I like a heavier feel. Has anyone tried the Sport handling option in Drive? That will be my next step.

jhartz

I use Sport handling in drive: gives a better road feel on the open road. Most of the in-town roads have been recently repaved, so it is still comfortable around town.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
So you have Sport selected in Drive Control.

What I was wondering about was the Handling option which offers Normal or Sport handling when D or S is selected in transmission selector. Then there is a further option of Performance in Sport as Normal or Sport. There is no explanation of what the cumulative effect will be of selecting these 3 different options.

I like the Comfort setting that quiets the engine sound substantially and the softer suspension is very noticeable. I am wondering if I can sharpen the handling through the Handling option, particularly the weight of steering, by selecting a Handling option for Normal or Sport without it affecting the engine note or the suspension softness from the Drive Control setting for Comfort?

Guess I will be checking that out now I have a feel for the Comfort setting.

jhartz

When you open the options button, go to handling, pick drive, you get the option to pick comfort, normal, or sport. From what I can discern, the sport option provides same handling you would get with the sport performance/transmission option. Tighter handling, less power steering assist at speed, rougher ride over bad surfaces. It doesn't appear that the sport performance (not handling) does anything other than raise the shift points, while raising handling to the sport level.

But it is really simple to change the settings: drive it a few days over your usual routes, and see what there is to like or dislike. I found the 'harder' setting was sufficiently comfortable to give me the equivalent feel of my X308 Jaguar on city streets with the tighter feel on the Interstate. But again, the roads I drive in Virginia Beach have just been resurfaced after ten years of neglect. So the city ride is comfortable enough. I normally drive it only in drive, rarely sport . . . although there is an on ramp for I264 that wants a shove.

No matter: I found the comfort setting had too much wallow for my liking . . . And I rarely hit WOT to be concerned by engine noise . . . although I, personally, think the concept of augmented exhaust noise is a stupid waste of time and money, especially for a luxury sedan. My sons' BMW 450 sound has eight different setting from soft luxury warble to F18E/F in full military . . . crazy! Part of today's problems: just because you can is no reason you should. . . .

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML