How do you program a Driver Door Module?

Professor

I have a 2001 Towncar and the Driver Door Module isn't working. I was able to get used one, but I don't know how to program it.

Where can I get instructions on how to program the DDM?

Thanks.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
The DDM cannot be programmed by the vehicle owner without access to the Ford scanner and possibly the Ford "as built" module library.

The used DDM may work when installed, several people have had that experience. But the best chance is when the DDM is from a similarly equipped model of much the same year. It may work and is certainly worth a try.

The usual way of replacing a DDM is with a new unit at the dealer. The dealer will upload the existing DDM program to the scanner while attached to the vehicle and then install the new DDM and download the original DDM program from the scanner into the new DDM that is installed. If the original DDM is toast or not available the dealer can install the new DDM and download the original program from the "As built" program library into the new DDM.

I thought that the download of the "As built" program would work for a used DDM but mark95man tried this and his dealer could not make it work. I have not been able to verify that with my dealer yet. It would be worthwhile to talk to your dealer about the options. To download the as built program by your Ford dealer will be about an hour of labour plus tax so maybe $125.

A new DDM programmed for your car will be about $532 complete or so. Here is mark95man thread on the problem that determined he needed a DDM and the resolution of that problem: http://www.lincolnforums.com/forums/threads/11563-2007-TC-Designer-Electrical-Issues all the successful installations of used DDM that I am aware of have been on models prior to 2003, hope this helps.

Good luck.

Professor

Thank you for your advice. I was not able to get the DDM from the any dealer in Las Vegas. The part is back order at the factory so I decided to try a used one.
I will go to the dealer to have them program it.
I just don't want to wait for several weeks.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
We will be very interested in what your dealer has to say, and if the used DDM works correctly as installed.

Do you need the installation procedure for a DIY?

Good luck.

Professor

I just put the DDM in my 2001 towncar. I didn't put the door panel on so I haven't checked everything yet, but the door locks are now working and they didn't work before.

Thanks again

You should now be able, by using the five-digit code on the DDM itself (which is now your permanent code), program in your own codes. Instructions in the owner's manual. That worked with the used one I put in my 2001 TC. Can't recall for sure, but you may also have to program your key fobs, also easy. I have the instructions for that if you need them. Congratulations on your success so far. Let us know the final results; this comes up from time to time.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I didn't think about programming the DDM with the key fob and Autolocks and memory seats and mirrors, etc. The instructions are in the Owner's Manual that you can get from our Lincoln Tech forum in post #3 here: http://www.lincolnforums.com/forums/...-Owner-manuals

The procedure to program the key fob in the 2001 Owner's Manual is as follows:

To reprogram the transmitters yourself, place the key in the ignition and turn from 2 (LOCK) to 3 (OFF) and cycle between 3 (OFF) and 4 (ON) four times in rapid succession within 3 seconds.
After doors lock/unlock, press any control on all transmitters (up to four). When completed, turn the ignition to 3 (OFF). All transmitters must be programmed at the same time.

Here are some other procedures for the remote entry as controlled by the DDM:

Autolock can also be activated or deactivated using the following procedure:
You must complete steps 1 through 7 within 30 seconds or the procedure
will have to be repeated. If the procedure needs to be repeated, you
must wait 30 seconds.
1. Turn the ignition key to ON.
2. Press the power door unlock control on the door panel three times.
3. Turn the ignition key from ON to OFF.
4. Press the power door unlock control three times.
5. Turn the ignition key back to ON. The doors will lock and unlock.
6. Press the power door unlock control. The horn will chirp once upon
successful toggling of the Autolock feature.
7. Turn ignition to OFF.

Memory seat/mirrors/adjustable pedals feature (if equipped)
The remote keyless entry system can also control the
seat/mirrors/adjustable pedals feature. With this feature, the first two
programmed transmitters will recall a different memory position.
Press the control once to unlock the
driver’s door and move the memory
features to the corresponding
memory position, just as if you had
pressed the memory control in the
vehicle.
² transmitter #1 will recall memory
feature position one.
² transmitter #2 will recall memory
feature position two.
² If a third or fourth transmitter is added, it will not recall a memory
position.
Memory seat positions can be changed at any time. Transmitter #1 will
always move the memory features to position #1.
Controls and features

Reactivating the memory seat/mirrors/adjustable pedals feature
The remote memory seat/mirrors/adjustable pedals feature comes
disabled from the factory. The following sequence will reactivate the
transmitter:
1. Press the SET control.
2. Press any control on the remote
entry transmitter.
3. Within five seconds, press control
one or two.
Deactivating the memory seat/mirrors/adjustable pedals feature
1. Press the SET control.
2. Press any control on the remote
entry transmitter.
3. Within five seconds, press the
SET control again.
Manually moving any seat, mirror or pedal during these steps will cancel
the programming procedure.
KEYLESS ENTRY SYSTEM (IF EQUIPPED)
With the keyless entry keypad, you
can:
² lock or unlock the vehicle doors
without using the key
Your vehicle has a factory-set 5–digit code that operates the keyless
entry system. You can also program your own 5–digit personal entry
code.
The factory-set code is located:
² on the owner’s wallet card in the glove compartment
² taped to the computer module
² or at your dealer
When pressing the controls on the keyless entry keypad, press the
middle of the controls to ensure a good activation.
SET
1 2
SET
1 2

Controls and features

Programming your own entry code
1. Enter the factory-set code (keypad will illuminate when pressed).
2. Press the 1/2 control within five
seconds of step 1.
3. Enter your personal 5–digit code.
Enter each digit within five seconds
of the previous one.
4. Enter a sixth digit to indicate
which personality feature should be
recalled by the personal code.
² 1/2 recalls personality 1
² 3/4 recalls personality 2
² 9/0 does not recall a personality
All of the vehicle doors will lock and unlock to confirm programing of the
new code. Each personality driver profile (personality 1 or personality 2)
can be associated with only one personal code. The factory-set code
cannot be associated with a personality code.
Do not set a code that includes five of the same number or presents
them in sequential order. Thieves can easily figure out these types of
codes.
You can program up to three personal codes to unlock your vehicle.
These codes do not replace the permanent code that the dealership gave
you.
Erasing personal code
To erase all of the personal entry codes programmed to a vehicle:
1. Enter the factory-set code.
2. Press 1/2 within 5 seconds of step
3. Press and hold 1/2 for two
seconds.

Good luck.I

Bubbameister33

DC
When you purchased the used DDM, was it the same year as your Town Car or was within the 98-02 range? I'm looking to buy a used one and want to make sure.

pmurphy513

I have a 2000 TC and am experiencing the same problems with door locks. I bought a used DDM and was able to program keypad and fob, everything works except for the door locks/trunk release. There is a faint clicking when using the switches or fob but locks will not work. Do you think the used DDM is defective or do I have a grounding problem. Is there a separate ground for the locks or does the DDM use a common ground?

csmith72

DDM's will need to have as bult data set especially if using a "used" part. your "as built" data can be read from your existing DDM or downloaded from ford using your VIN. You do not need to pay $$$ to a dealer to do this, just use FORscan to write the data. it is FREE.... does require that you use compatible ODB tools though otherwise it cannot write. If you install a used DDM from a vehicle that for example did not have memory seats or mirrors, then those features will not work until they are enabled VIA the as-built data.

G-76892

Where can i buy he DDM for my 2001 Towncar

AldenRichie

DDM's will need to have as bult data set especially if using a "used" part. your "as built" data can be read from your existing DDM or downloaded from ford using your VIN. You do not need to pay $$$ to a dealer to do this, just use FORscan to write the data. it is FREE.... does require that you use compatible ODB tools though otherwise it cannot write. If you install a used DDM from a vehicle that for example did not have memory seats or mirrors, then those features will not work until they are enabled VIA the as-built data.

is there a guide for doing this? I'm pretty capable but am reading conflicting reports of a DIY solution to a 2007 DDM failure. hmm

bbigman

I have a 2001 Towncar and the Driver Door Module isn't working. I was able to get used one, but I don't know how to program it.

Where can I get instructions on how to program the DDM?

Thanks.
There are numbers across the top of the label on ddm that look like keypad numbers follow them across so it should look like (1-2)(2-3)(3-4)(4-5)(6-7) etc.do in order of sequence of order.

LFMONKEY

I just replaced my keyless entry door pad module today. Although it was on a 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS I believe it would be very similar to a Lincoln or Crown Vic of similar year.
To all who need advice I had to remove door panel and a metal clip slides to your right to release module. Pulls out front side of door and unplug clip. I purchased an new OEM Ford module from 1A Auto. Plugged it in and my old factory code as well as my personal programmed 5 digit code worked to unlock my doors. So long story short it was a plug and play situation.
Wish I had known from the beginning because I spent hours online at several forums trying to find an answer for programming a new module. Everyone offering advice said there would be a 5 digit code on the new module yet mine did not have one. My old broken one had a code on it stamped into the plug portion of it but that was not the master code. My master code sticker was originally located on the drivers side truck support are but that has since fallen off and been lost. So after digging through some paperwork I did find my master code card and tried it on my new module. Eureka!! It worked. So I then tried my personal code and it worked as well. So hopefully this will help anyone else in this situation as I couldn’t find anything on my make and model vehicle.