• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

How do I operate the security system

tweybrew

I recently acquired a '99 Continental with a security system. It has a dash top blinking red light. I do not find instructions in the owner's manual nor do I find a separate user guide. Can someone tell me how to get a user guide (preferably PDF) or point me to where the instructions might be?

bbf2530

I recently acquired a '99 Continental with a security system. It has a dash top blinking red light. I do not find instructions in the owner's manual nor do I find a separate user guide. Can someone tell me how to get a user guide (preferably PDF) or point me to where the instructions might be?
Hi tweybrew. If it is the factory alarm system, there is not much to know. It will automatically arm when you lock the doors with the keyfob and/or the interior power door lock button. The system will sound if the doors, hood or trunk are opened while it is armed.

Usually one press of the keyfob lock button will arm it and possibly blink the lights to verify arming. In some models, a second press of the keyfob lock button within three seconds or so will also honk the horn to verify arming.
Pressing the unlock button on the keyfob (or using the key to open the door, or starting the car with the key) disarms the system. Additionally, if you have a door mounted keypad, inputting your security code will also disarm the security system.

The instructions for the factory system are in the Owners Manual, so take another look.

If it is an aftermarket system, then you will need to determine the manufacturer and model, then contact the manufacturer for information, or check their website to see if they make the manual available there.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

HTML