Higher performance Continental

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Bregs

Hello brucelinc,

My name is Brandon and I just got a 2018 Lincoln Continental with the 3.0, my question to you is are you still using the SCT tuner with the tune from Brad or are you using Livernois one now? Which one do you think is better if you have used both.

Thanks

brucelinc

Minneapolis
Hello brucelinc,

My name is Brandon and I just got a 2018 Lincoln Continental with the 3.0, my question to you is are you still using the SCT tuner with the tune from Brad or are you using Livernois one now? Which one do you think is better if you have used both.

Thanks

I use the SCT with Brad's tune. I have never used Livernois with the Continental. I had been using my Livernois tuner for my Mustang.

The car runs great with Brad's tune but those who have used Livernois are also very happy. I don't think there is much difference in them.

topdavis

I have been using the Livernois tune for about a year and have been very happy with it. Noticeable difference over stock and makes car more responsive during acceleration. Can't comment on Brad's tune, but I'm sure you'd be happy with either.

My two cents...

G-882347

I use the SCT with Brad's tune. I have never used Livernois with the Continental. I had been using my Livernois tuner for my Mustang.

The car runs great with Brad's tune but those who have used Livernois are also very happy. I don't think there is much difference in them.
Ok thanks, I'll look into. I'll probably go with Brad since I already have a sct tuner that I just need to get on locked

Todor

Sofia-Bulgaria
That thread just agitated an itch I already had. :D
In stock form the 3.0 is pretty fast, although in most cases I don't really perceive much of an event happening with the acceleration. On the other hand yesterday with two incident stop light starts a brand new 730hp Camaro was watching my tail lights twice only able to pass me after 75mph, although after 75 it goes on like I turned on the cruise control.
In my 05 4.6 GT Mustang the perception of acceleration is much stronger especially in 1st and second.
Anyway, I like to observe the boost meter. Sometimes in mild weather and after a steady cruise it would hold ~18-19 psi up to red line in 4th and 5h gear, which however you calculate it adds to significantly more than 408hp, let's say 460-470. CR 9.5:1, 1.2-1.3 bar boost, 3.0L and modest 6000 rpm, assuming volumetric efficiency of at least 85%
The car is felt the most powerful from about 90 mph/150 kph to 150mph/240 kph, if it holds ~18psi then it's very effortless and fast in 5th and 6th gear.
Other times the boost will alternate 13-14-17-18 psi or in hot weather it would stay 13-14-15 psi without even alternating or trying higher boost - for instance hot weather uphill from 40-50mph up i.e. low speed and low cooling flow.

All this I mention in order to justify my assumption that Ford knows the tuning potential of the engine and allowed some overboost.
408hp should be achieved at no more than 0.9-0.93 bar, or even less. The ECU allows for up to 1/3 or more overboost.
Maybe part of that is for altitude and density correction for equal power perception.
Anyway, the 3.0 as is has 1/4 to 1/3 power reserve already built in. And I can feel it is just a little tamed.

Are the shifts more soft and consistent?
How shifting feels? Mine sometimes is very smooth and sometimes some shifts are felt which is funny for a car like that.
How is your belt light or off throttle 13-14 mph 2nd to 3rd gear shift?

brucelinc

Minneapolis
My primary complaint with the stock Continental shift strategy was how the ECU would cut power so drastically at each shift point. It was like power off......shift.....power on. It resulted in a significant lag at each shift. The tune reduced that sensation dramatically. At part throttle, you can barely feel the shifts and only if you are looking for them. However, at heavy throttle, the shifts are quick, crisp and firm.

The additional power from tuning was very nice but the MUCH better transmission behavior was what I really wanted and exactly what I got.

Todor

Sofia-Bulgaria
My primary complaint with the stock Continental shift strategy was how the ECU would cut power so drastically at each shift point. It was like power off......shift.....power on. It resulted in a significant lag at each shift. The tune reduced that sensation dramatically. At part throttle, you can barely feel the shifts and only if you are looking for them. However, at heavy throttle, the shifts are quick, crisp and firm.

The additional power from tuning was very nice but the MUCH better transmission behavior was what I really wanted and exactly what I got.
The exact same reason I consider any form of tune, someone has to dial in exactly 1mph higher threshold for minimum speed for the shift from 2nd to 3rd. I don't mind the full throttle shifting as much, but I don't have your drag experience, thus it's not that obvious to me. Although I notice the same reduction in power output at shifting, just to a less subjective magnitude. I had a Lexus GS-300 that was able to shift fast and smooth in the same time, incredible, like an EV.

Have you ever experienced the rough 2-3 shift every second 6f55 user reports?

No_WaY

On livernois mods , the my calibrator need to be attached all the time? Or just program the vehicle and unplug it?

No_WaY

Thanks alot , why I am asking because i got reply from livernois that if i want to use tune on different car model ( i have conti and flex ) i need to get 2 devices.
Apparently i can use one and load different tune at once.

bbf2530

Thanks alot , why I am asking because i got reply from livernois that if i want to use tune on different car model ( i have conti and flex ) i need to get 2 devices.
Apparently i can use one and load different tune at once.

Hi No_Way. In most cases, a tuner is "married" or "locked" to one vehicle at a time. So yes, you would need to purchase a separate device containing tunes for each vehicle.

Good luck.