Higher performance Continental

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Slick Fan

Utah
I'm curious as to why they have you drive around the back end of the launch pad?
I noticed that you have a pretty consistent & good reaction time at the tree. That always helps when you're bracket racing. :)

Speaking of Tesla's being fast, there's a guy in Texas who decided to build an electric '68 Mustang...the thing is wicked fast! His shop is called the "Bloodshed", because he often ends up bleeding when he's working on something out there. LOL
His website is a little wonky HERE, but scroll to the right & check out the Mustang. Once he got that one dialed, he decided to make it a business. So far it looks like he's doing okay at it.

brucelinc

Minneapolis
I drive around the burnout box because with AWD, I do not need to do a burnout to warm up tires. Powerful RWD cars use the burnout box.

I love your link! Bloodshed!

Slick Fan

Utah
I drive around the burnout box because with AWD, I do not need to do a burnout to warm up tires. Powerful RWD cars use the burnout box.
Ahh yes, that makes sense. I've only been down the track in RWD vehicles, so I didn't really think about how you would want to skip around any extra rubber that might stick to your tires.

It's Tuesday, my common sense doesn't work as well on Tuesdays. :D

joebuick

Irwin, PA
Yes, that is pretty much how we run at Brainerd. I participate in the street legal races.

I have been drag racing since 1974 - bracket and heads-up. Started with my rear wheel drive Buick GS Stage 1, continued with my rear wheel drive Buick GNX, then a bit with my Buick Silver Arrow supercharged front wheel drive... can't wait to try my all wheel drive Continental. Too bad the FAST races don't have a class for it yet!! LOL.

topdavis

I would be very interested in getting my engine tuned similar to yours. I have the 3.0L/AWD/BL. The car runs good from the factory, but it is easy to tell with tuning that the car could run better and you have clearly proven it. The couple of tuning places around where I live specializes in European cars. The one that might work on my Continental said they would Dyno pre and post tuning. I was hoping you could provide the results of your tuning efforts so I could try as well.

brucelinc

Minneapolis
I would be very interested in getting my engine tuned similar to yours. I have the 3.0L/AWD/BL. The car runs good from the factory, but it is easy to tell with tuning that the car could run better and you have clearly proven it. The couple of tuning places around where I live specializes in European cars. The one that might work on my Continental said they would Dyno pre and post tuning. I was hoping you could provide the results of your tuning efforts so I could try as well.

I have been a customer of Livernois Motorsports and Engineering since 2011 and they are first rate. I didn't use them for the Continental because they didn't have a tune for it at the time. However, they do now and it is a good one.

The process is simple and all done via email. You purchase their tuning device. It hooks to your car's OBD port and reads your car's ECU information. You send that info to Livernois, they prepare the tune for your car, put it on their server and send you a link. You then hook your tuning device to your computer and download the tune onto the device. Then, you simply hook the device to the OBD port and follow the instructions.

Livernois Motorsports

topdavis

Thanks for the info, I will reach out to them. Really appreciate the assist.

topdavis

I have been running the tune from Livernois Motorsports for a couple of days now and it is really nice. The acceleration is so much smoother and even more responsive than from the factory. I have not had a chance to see what 0-60 time improvement might be, but the overall tune is a better driving experience. Seemingly no delay from pedal to response. Got a chance to take it on the highway on a day with no rain or much traffic and it felt better than when I first got it. Many thanks again brucelinc!

joebuick

Irwin, PA
Topdavis - The Livernois tune - is it emission legal in all 50 states? Any concerns with warranty from Lincoln being voided by it? I was going to order it but was concerned about the warranty - my car only has 2800 miles on it.

topdavis

I wouldn't know about how it affects the warranty or emissions, Livernois can probably answer that the best. One of the things you can do with the device is back up the car's original settings. The first thing I did was back up the settings and restored them to see if that process worked properly. I also installed the tune from Livernois ran the car for half a day, then restored the original factory settings, ran that on the way home from work, then put the Livernois tune back on to make sure I could go between factory and Livernois Tune without issue. (Installing the Livernois tune takes a couple minutes, the factory tune takes about 5 times longer).

I would offer that if you think you have to take your car in for work where they might hook up something to the OBD port to get an engine code, then maybe restore the factory settings before taking it in to the dealer. I can't think of a reason they would connect to the car's computer for regular maintenance like an oil change or brake work or something like that. So I would GUESS it would be fine to leave the tune the way it is.

I have an Android program called Torque that works with bluetooth based OBD devices to get engine codes when the engine light comes on and can measure 0-60 times and bunch of other stuff. You can download that and get an OBD bluetooth scanner device (I got mine from Amazon fo about $20) and you can compare what the settings are before and after you install the tune. I only briefly looked at mine and I did not notice anything so far off that at first glance would make me think something changed. It seems you would have to be specifically looking for values that are different from the factory or some trigger that says the CPU has been altered. Just because I didn't notice it, doesn't mean it isn't there...

If I have to take my car in for some reason and they say something, I'll play dumb I guess - "What? What's and OBD thingy? Tune? You mean like on the radio knob?"

And just to echo what brucelinc mention in one of his posts on the subject, the Livernois guys were helpful and provided good communication throughout the process. Great working with them and they explained everything I needed to know.

bbf2530

Topdavis - The Livernois tune - is it emission legal in all 50 states? Any concerns with warranty from Lincoln being voided by it? I was going to order it but was concerned about the warranty - my car only has 2800 miles on it.

Hi Joe. The short answer is that it does not "void" the manufacturers warranty, but it can/will affect your manufacturers warranty. The difference is explained below.

If you ever have engine or transmission problems while still under warranty, especially major issues, it probably will affect your warranty coverage. Possibly/likely even leading to a denial of warranty coverage and an expensive bill for you. And yes, the tune will leave programming traces that can be seen by Lincoln/Ford if they decide to look, even if you revert back to the stock tune before bringing it in. And in most cases of engine and transmission trouble, they will check.
And it is not up to the Dealership or Dealership Service Department employees who may say their particular Dealership does not care. Lincoln/Ford does care. They warrantied the car as it was sold to you. Any changes (especially ECM/PCM/TCM changes) can affect the warranty and cause a denial of coverage for part and component that was affected by the change.

It is also important to note: Some companies talk around the warranty issue by telling you that "our product will not void your manufacturers warranty". That is technically true, but misleading. Yes...it will not "void your manufacturers warranty". Voiding the warranty means no warranty coverage at all for anything ever again. However, modifying your vehicle can lead to a denial of warranty coverage for any problems which can be connected to the modifications. So in the case of any engine or transmission issues, warranty coverage can/will be denied on your engine and transmission if your car was tuned. But your warranty would still be in affect if your audio system stopped working, you had brake system issues, your moonroof stopped working/ leaked, etc.

Essentially, your warranty is not voided, but your warranty is modified by your modifications. This is all explained in the Warranty Coverage booklet provided when you buy the car from the Dealership. A warranty is a contract between the manufacturer and you. If you modify the vehicle, you have broken the contract.

Not trying to talk you out of getting a tune, just want you to be fully aware of the possible ramifications.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:

brucelinc

Minneapolis
One of the reasons I recommend Livernois is because their tunes have a stellar reputation for safety. They do not crank up the timing or boost to dangerous levels. For that reason, I think serious driveline issues caused by the tune would be extremely unlikely.

I have had tunes on my cars since 2011 and have had several warranty claims without issue. When going to the dealer, you should have the car returned to stock. The tune is based on your car's specific ECU strategy code. If for some reason the dealer needs to update your car's ECU, it needs to be in original stock tune or issues will result.

Yes, there is an element of risk involved with an aftermarket tune but I think it is pretty minor. These engines and transmissions are very robust.

joebuick

Irwin, PA
Ok thanks for all the clarifications. I may date myself here, but back in 1987 I bought a brand new Buick Grand National. With just a set of sticky tires, new chip, and gutting the catalytic converter, I was in the 12s and drag racing every week. And so were many other Grand Nationals all over the country. Buick caught wind of this, and they had folks walking around the pits at the track taking down VINs in order to invalidate their warranties. As a side note, I never had an issue, even after frying my transmission within 2 years. Was rebuilt under warranty - but I did put the stock chip in and cleaned off all the rubber in the back wheel wells before taking it in. I miss those times at the track - hope to take the Continental there soon - but not every week! Thanks all for your replies!

brucelinc

Minneapolis
Your Continental is a mid 12 second car with the tune.

I probably had 75 - 100 quarter mile passes on my Livernois tuned MKS and it never skipped a beat. It consistently ran in the mid to high 12s. I have maybe 25 passes on my Continental. I don't run it anymore since getting a Mustang to scratch my racing itch.

joebuick

Irwin, PA
brucelinc - awesome to hear your MKS and Conti run so well. I have a GNX and a GSX and a GS - all 12 sec cars and one is high 11s. I have the itch - but parts for the older cars are getting scarce.
I want to scratch the racing itch but have a backup plan if something should go awry - the dealer can work on it under warranty. Even if not all covered, parts are still easier to get for the Conti than the ceramic turbo for the GNX or a simple timing cover for the GS stage 1.