Higher performance Continental

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

brucelinc

Minneapolis
About 13 months ago, I took delivery of a 2017 Continental Reserve, 3.0, tech and climate packages, 30 way seats and Revel audio. It replaced my 2010 Lincoln MKS ecoboost. I had an aftermarket tune in my MKS and by about July of 2017, I also had a tune in the Continental.

The result is 0-60 in 4 seconds flat and a quarter mile time of 12.8 at nearly 109 mph. That is not Hellcat fast or even Cadillac CTS-V fast but it is quicker than Hemi Challengers, Mustang GTs and most other mainstream vehicles. The tune is 100% through modifications to the cars ECU. There are no bolt-on parts. In addition to much better performance, fuel economy increased by 1-1.5 MPG on the highway. Transmission shifting is also night and day improved.

I liked the Continental prior to the tune but I like it a LOT more now. This sort of thing is not for everyone. In fact, I believe I have the only tuned Continental in the country. I am not encouraging anyone else to do this. I sort of like the exclusivity. I just wanted everyone to know that the car has performance potential. The tuning I have is very mild and the actual changes were pretty minor although it took some trial and error to achieve the results.

https://youtu.be/vKhOQN_dHY0

https://youtu.be/99-lG-74KmI

Administrator

Lincoln Fanatic
Staff member
About 13 months ago, I took delivery of a 2017 Continental Reserve, 3.0, tech and climate packages, 30 way seats and Revel audio. It replaced my 2010 Lincoln MKS ecoboost. I had an aftermarket tune in my MKS and by about July of 2017, I also had a tune in the Continental.

The result is 0-60 in 4 seconds flat and a quarter mile time of 12.8 at nearly 109 mph. That is not Hellcat fast or even Cadillac CTS-V fast but it is quicker than Hemi Challengers, Mustang GTs and most other mainstream vehicles. The tune is 100% through modifications to the cars ECU. There are no bolt-on parts. In addition to much better performance, fuel economy increased by 1-1.5 MPG on the highway. Transmission shifting is also night and day improved.

I liked the Continental prior to the tune but I like it a LOT more now. This sort of thing is not for everyone. In fact, I believe I have the only tuned Continental in the country. I am not encouraging anyone else to do this. I sort of like the exclusivity. I just wanted everyone to know that the car has performance potential. The tuning I have is very mild and the actual changes were pretty minor although it took some trial and error to achieve the results.

https://youtu.be/vKhOQN_dHY0

https://youtu.be/99-lG-74KmI

Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up. 0-60 in 4 seconds flat and a quarter mile time of 12.8 is very impressive for a big luxury sedan like the Lincoln Continental. Which tune did you go with and what was the cost?

brucelinc

Minneapolis
I reached out to all of the major tuners in the country to inquire about tuning and no one was interested. Finally, an individual who I "met" on another forum offered to work with me. His business is called AJP Turbo and he specializes in Ford ecoboost engines. He reached out to SCT who sells tuning devices and convinced them to support my car's ECU code. The device cost me $399 but he did the work for free since he wanted to learn more about the 3.0 engine and how it responded to tuning.

The process was to hook the tuning device to the car's OBD port and record what the engine and transmission was doing. I would then send the results to him via email and he would email me back some tweaks that I would download into the car's ECU. We did this about a dozen times with him making minor changes and tweaks along the way.

joebuick

Irwin, PA
I reached out to all of the major tuners in the country to inquire about tuning and no one was interested. Finally, an individual who I "met" on another forum offered to work with me. His business is called AJP Turbo and he specializes in Ford ecoboost engines. He reached out to SCT who sells tuning devices and convinced them to support my car's ECU code. The device cost me $399 but he did the work for free since he wanted to learn more about the 3.0 engine and how it responded to tuning.

The process was to hook the tuning device to the car's OBD port and record what the engine and transmission was doing. I would then send the results to him via email and he would email me back some tweaks that I would download into the car's ECU. We did this about a dozen times with him making minor changes and tweaks along the way.

Sounds enticing! Being a speed addict with a Buick GNX and Buick GSX next to the Continental in my garage, I would be interested in this if it becomes something that is available. I have the 3.0L engine.

Pasadena Lady

Pennsylvania
Since I lease my Conti , I cannot do mods that would negatively affect my lease. But the 2018 Cadillac ATS-V is looking good. 0-60 in 12.5 at 117mph with time at 4.2 seconds!

brucelinc

Minneapolis
CTS-Vs and ATS-Vs can usually beat me over a quarter mile. However, they usually see my tail lights up to 60 or 70 MPH. The reason is that the Conti has much better off-the-line traction and excellent low-end torque. I limit my all-out performance driving to the track but there are very few cars that will stay will my Conti from a stoplight on the street and up to legal speeds.

Administrator

Lincoln Fanatic
Staff member

Yes, I've done tuning like this in the past as well. Laptop and all. :p Fun, though. Especially as you feel your car getting faster and faster...

Pasadena Lady

Pennsylvania
CTS-Vs and ATS-Vs can usually beat me over a quarter mile. However, they usually see my tail lights up to 60 or 70 MPH. The reason is that the Conti has much better off-the-line traction and excellent low-end torque. I limit my all-out performance driving to the track but there are very few cars that will stay will my Conti from a stoplight on the street and up to legal speeds.

Are we talking automatic or manual trans?

Slick Fan

Utah
Those are some really impressive numbers, for a tune only & no mods! It's also impressive how far ahead of the Mustang you were in your video clip. You've got a Hot Rod Lincoln, for sure! :D

Does changing the tune in the ECM void your warranty? Just curious, I have yet to mess with a tune program on a car.

brucelinc

Minneapolis
Regarding warranty coverage, if the issue is non-powertrain related, I expect a repair should be covered. Actually, I have had 2 warranty repairs - one to replace a defective power seat module and another for a new instrument cluster. However, if I experienced engine or driveline damage, Ford would have a perfect right to not cover the repair. I am not sure if they could or would void the entire warranty.

I am very comfortable that the engine is not being severely stressed. The transmission is the same one used in a Taurus SHO and they have proven to be extemely robust. There are guys with much more aggressive tunes than mine who have 100s of quarter mile passes with no failures. I had about 50 or so quarter mile passes with my MKS and it had been tuned for over 50,000 miles.

Of course, anything can happen and my Conti could blow up tomorrow!

Slick Fan

Utah
So you're saying the ECM tune took out your instrument cluster, huh?

Kidding... :D

Well that's great that you have been able to get your Continental to be that fast. Any more cool video clips to share? :)

Pasadena Lady

Pennsylvania
I think whoever was filming the event did not really show the results. Someone standing near the end to see the cars crossing the traps would have been better. Other than two cars leaving the start as the Christmas tree turned green , I could not see how the race actually fared.
What about the timing board results? If working it would show each cars time and speed and also the winner. Unless you were just doing practice runs for fun , then .... great work.

brucelinc

Minneapolis
LOL, I agree. We are far from professional photographers or video makers! The racing is serious but the photos and videos are just for fun. For what it is worth, I only show videos where I win!!!! :D The old Corvette with a modern GM crate engine gave my MKS all it could handle, though! The old Plymouth was a 426 wedge and he had slicks. We were pretty even until about the 1/8 mile and then the MKS pulled away from him.

Pasadena Lady

Pennsylvania
Why not get the car ....blacked out...? The one that was pictured on the forum I think is so cool.
Do you always prefer the far lane.i noticed most of the runs are on the same side or are these the only winning ones? LOL. :cool:
How long have you been drag racing?........ How about which cars beat you..... Just curious.

brucelinc

Minneapolis
Why not get the car ....blacked out...? The one that was pictured on the forum I think is so cool.
Do you always prefer the far lane.i noticed most of the runs are on the same side or are these the only winning ones? LOL. :cool:
How long have you been drag racing?........ How about which cars beat you..... Just curious.

I am really not fond of black cars. I guess I am a bit old-school. I still enjoy bright colors and chrome! When drag racing, I feel more comfortable looking to my right at the Christmas tree. I seem to get a better reaction time than when I am looking to my left.

In heads-up drag racing, I cannot beat newer Corvettes, newer Camaros, Hellcats, CTS-Vs, ATS-V and all out race cars. In bracket racing, which is more fair, I can run with or beat those because I get a head start based on time trials. The fastest car I ever raced heads-up was a Tesla. They are insanely fast!! This is an ever poorer quality video,(sun was shining into the camera making the track look almost white) but notice how the Tesla drives away not long after we launch. This was the first time I ever ran the Conti and it was stock at the time. However, even with the Conti tuned, the Tesla is MUCH faster.

https://youtu.be/hH1PHt7CY9g