Lincoln Forums Navigation:

High speed braking making a loud whirring noise but no shimmy in the steering wheel.

Just got a 2016 MKT Ecoboost. Unable to figure out when I accelerate hard and then brake with medium to hard-medium braking, the front end making a lout whirring. Loud enough to jarr people in the cabin. The tires and Brakes are relatively new. The MKT only has 8200 miles.

Also unable to figure out the autohigh beam.

FYI, I love the car, I came from a 2013 Chrysler 300 hemi AWD, but the comfort here is awesome!

vinaygoel2000

Houston
Why dont you take to dealer? It's under warranty. As mentioned in another post, auto high beam works when you keep them OFF. They will turn ON as needed. You should be able to update the Sync by yourself. Download the update from lincoln website on a blank USB drive. Plug it in the car and follow prompts. But the dealer would be happy to do it for you for free as well.

Dealer wants 150 to update SYNC! The car is under warranty but dealer denied fixing brakes because they are only covered till 12 months of 12,000 miles. Stealership.

Looker

I have the same noise on my 2015 Mkt when braking hard. Like a loud vibration noise but the wheels and steering wheel are not vibrating. I’m guessing it’s the anti lock brakes working?

I have the same noise on my 2015 Mkt when braking hard. Like a loud vibration noise but the wheels and steering wheel are not vibrating. I’m guessing it’s the anti lock brakes working?
Thats exactly what I am leaning to but its just too soon sometimes for it to kick in. TOO soon! like a little hard brakes from 85-90 is deadly loud inside the car.

The dealer told me the brakes are good and they have lots of life but they cover brakes only for 12 months or 12,000 miles. I have 21 months months and 10K miles! Very annoying when it happens. Not sure if your dealer is going to help you with it.

I have recently taken a quote from a brakes-plus location in Colorado. I was quoted 1650 for all four side, slotted/drilled rotors and Akibono pads. This is the best combination as I had this same combination on my previous car a Chrysler 300 hemi AWD (just 4480lbs car) and it made a very big difference as compared to the OEM setup! I may do the swap when in the next 6-12 months as my car just has 14K miles on it now.

Hi gang. Just as an FYI to avoid confusion: It is true that brakes are only covered for the first 1 year/12,000 miles for normal wear and tear. However, they are still covered for the remainder of the Bumper to Bumper Warranty for manufacturing defects, problems, failure etc.

Loud noises, etc during regular braking are not normal. So be sure what the Service Department is saying the issue is being caused by, and have it notated on your work invoice if they tell you the brakes are only covered for 1 year/12,000 miles.

Hope this information helps and good luck.

Hi gang. Just as an FYI to avoid confusion: It is true that brakes are only covered for the first 1 year/12,000 miles for normal wear and tear. However, they are still covered for the remainder of the Bumper to Bumper Warranty for manufacturing defects, problems, failure etc.

Loud noises, etc during regular braking are not normal. So be sure what the Service Department is saying the issue is being caused by, and have it notated on your work invoice if they tell you the brakes are only covered for 1 year/12,000 miles.

That is exactly what I was told. They did acknowledge the loud noise but said the brakes were fine and they have plenty of life in them. This was at 8k miles but at 16 months! I have not had the problem go worse and now I am at 14K miles and 19 months! Hoping someone gets it rootcaused. My dealership is not ready to help out with this.

Hi Sagar. You may already know this, but thought I would post just in case. Slotted and/or drilled rotors would be costlier, overkill and possibly even problematic.

Slotted brake rotors cause increased brake pad wear, as the slots work like razor blades to cut away a little pad each time you apply the brakes. This is why they are sometimes used in racing applications, as it gives fresher pad material contact. They also can allow for slightly better release of heat/gases between the pad and rotor during repeated hard braking (much harder than anything on the road). But on cars used for racing, brake pads are replaced far more often than we would normally want to replace them on our daily drivers.

As far as drilled rotors: Again, sometimes used in racing to cut rotor/unsprung weight. And again, some slight benefit in heat and gas dissipation during repeated, hard braking. But again, much harder braking environments than we see on our daily drivers.

However, as far as our street cars go, slotted/drilled rotors are not good for much nore than looks, show and added cost.

Not trying to talk you out of your decision, just providing the information for you or others who may care about the cost.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Hi Sagar. You may already know this, but thought I would post just in case. Slotted and/or drilled rotors would be costlier, overkill and possibly even problematic.

Slotted brake rotors cause increased brake pad wear, as the slots work like razor blades to cut away a little pad each time you apply the brakes. This is why they are sometimes used in racing applications, as it gives fresher pad material contact. They also can allow for slightly better release of heat/gases between the pad and rotor during repeated hard braking (much harder than anything on the road). But on cars used for racing, brake pads are replaced far more often than we would normally want to replace them on our daily drivers.

As far as drilled rotors: Again, sometimes used in racing to cut rotor/unsprung weight. And again, some slight benefit in heat and gas dissipation during repeated, hard braking. But again, much harder braking environments than we see on our daily drivers.

However, as far as our street cars go, slotted/drilled rotors are not good for much nore than looks, show and added cost.

Not trying to talk you out of your decision, just providing the information for you or others who may care about the cost.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)
Completely Agree and thanks for the detailed reply!

My quote includes lifetime replacement of pads for just 60 dollars each time (all 4) which is less than an oil change and I plan to do it every 10K miles on my car. I completely know about the extra wear on the pads. As far as the rotors go, I do know its an overkill and more for racing application. I would much rather prefer having only slotted rotors. I dont care for the heat dissipation through the drilled rotors. I also know that these rotors with drills could develop cracks over time but on my previous car just 300 LBS lighter than the MKT, I did not see that over 18 months of use and about 17K miles (I sold the car after that).

I do know for a fact that this setup is much better and much controlled braking compared to the spongy and noisy braking on the MKT with OEM setup. I am still going to go ahead and wait for some more months until the OEM brakes wear out (not like I have money overflowing in the bank... lol)

Hi Sagar. Concerning $60+ oil changes: In case you did not know, you can usually download $39.95 coupons on the Lincoln and Ford Owners websites for the "The Works" service at Lincoln and Ford Dealers. That gets us a Synthetic Blend oil and filter change, tire rotation, check and top off of all fluids, brake and tire check etc.. Sometimes, they even have coupons available for "The Works" for $39.95, plus a set of Motorcraft wipers and a $10 rebate. So "The Works" and new set of wipers for $29.95. A pretty good deal.

Hi Sagar. Concerning $60+ oil changes: In case you did not know, you can usually download $39.95 coupons on the Lincoln and Ford Owners websites for the "The Works" service at Lincoln and Ford Dealers. That gets us a Synthetic Blend oil and filter change, tire rotation, check and top off of all fluids, brake and tire check etc.. Sometimes, they even have coupons available for "The Works" for $39.95, plus a set of Motorcraft wipers and a $10 rebate. So "The Works" and new set of wipers for $29.95. A pretty good deal.

That sounds great! I need to check on that. A good 40 dollar savings + wipers.! Thanks!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML