• If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense...

Hid headlamp bulb

I just picked up a 2014 MKS with 5300 miles on it, and today I noticed that the right front headlamp is not as bright as the left one. I pulled off the rubber rear cover, and the igniter & bulb are loose---just wobbling around in there. I can't get them out--It seems like the cable is too short. How do I get it out so I can see what's going on in there ???

RON

HID Headlamp Bulb

As of 4/27/2016 185 views and NOBODY knows about this ??? Well, I got it out later in the day that I posted the above message, and it just needed to be twisted in the right direction. The glass part of the HID bub was broken, but it was still working, so I attempted to reinstall it. It went into the headlamp housing but would not lock in place.
So, the next day I made the 2 hour trip to the dealer. They installed a new bulb, and it took the tech all of 10 minutes. I talked to him, and he said that he was unable to get the old original one to lock in, but the new one went right in. Something must have been wrong with that original bulb's mounting ring, and it was probably like that from the day the car was manufactured. I am a retired ASE certified tech, and I have replaced many of these HID's, but I never had one that would not lock into place. It figures that the problem would show up on my own car.

Lincwitsync

Good Info Rongold.

Question to you is did you need to remove the bumper cover to change that headlight bulb, or are there access panels behind all of the plastic and covers? Since they're HIDs, most MKS owners will likely never need to change them out. I read somewhere that the bumper has to be removed before the bulb can be changed. Please shed some light on that one for me.

Thanks

Last edited:
H I D Bulb

There's a rubber cover on the rear of the lamp assembly that comes off, and there's just enough room to get the bulb out. In order to remove the headlamp assembly, the bumper cover has to come off.

RON

Simonsays

Ok, new guy here... I just got an 2010 mks awd ecoboost that has the adaptive hid package. I simply want to update my bulbs but i can't get these d3s out for the life of me. Please tell me i dont need to remove the bumper to remove the housing to then change a bulb for this one? I can't find any video nor instruction showing a bulb change on this particular trim. And the manual says to bring it to a dealer... Not yet i wont! Thank you all in advance...Hopefully this forum isnt completely dead!

You say that you can't get the bulbs out---Do you mean that they will not disengage from the headlamp, or there is not enough room to remove them once they are disengaged ??? We need more info.

RON

Simonsays

You say that you can't get the bulbs out---Do you mean that they will not disengage from the headlamp, or there is not enough room to remove them once they are disengaged ??? We need more info.

RON
I physically cannot twist the bulb. I have removed airbox to give me more room and leverage but they are not twisting. Thanks!

Simonsays

They're very tight, but they will twist---They have to be twisted counter-clockwise when looking at the square housing--at least that's how mine are---2014 & 2015.

RON
Ok, does yours have the adaptive headlight as well? I get nervous im going to crank on it and bust the motor for those and be stuck in perpetual left turn mode...

Both of mine have the adaptive headlamps, but the part of the lamp that the bulb fits into does not move. The moving parts are inside the lamp assembly. Did you try to wiggle and push in besides twisting counter clockwise ??? They're tight, but with enough persuading, the bulb will turn. Your headlamp housings are slightly different than the 2013 & up lamps, but the procedure should be the same. Try pushing in while you twist. Do you have any screws alongside the bulb---If you do, then your bulbs might be held in by a bracket that is attached to the housing with those screws. Some Ford products have that type of bulb retention system.

RON

Simonsays

Both of mine have the adaptive headlamps, but the part of the lamp that the bulb fits into does not move. The moving parts are inside the lamp assembly. Did you try to wiggle and push in besides twisting counter clockwise ??? They're tight, but with enough persuading, the bulb will turn. Your headlamp housings are slightly different than the 2013 & up lamps, but the procedure should be the same. Try pushing in while you twist. Do you have any screws alongside the bulb---If you do, then your bulbs might be held in by a bracket that is attached to the housing with those screws. Some Ford products have that type of bulb retention system.

RON
Yes, i believe my housings have the dumb torx screw bracket...

Attachments

Simonsays

Yes, yours have the bracket style of retainer. Remove those 2 torx screws and the bulb will pull out. I posted the procedure for mine above---As you can see the 13-16's twist out.

RON

RON
Thank you very much, those screws are on there tight!!!! Ill see what i can do, i appreciate the responses ron! Also, i see you have a digital repair manual, good source to pick one up for my first gen?

Check out Ebay---That's where I got mine. Make sure that your torx bit fits tight in those screw heads. If it's a loose fit, it might slip and strip the head.

RON

I just went to Ebay---You can get the actual printed manuals for MKS's up to 2012---After that, only on a DVD. I like the actual printed manual better, because you can bring it out to the car and look at it while you are working. Here is one on Ebay right now.

2010 Lincoln MKS Service Shop Repair Manual 2 Vol Set | eBay

There are a few sets for 2010, but this one is cheap---$33 + shipping. Most of the others are $50 or higher---MUCH HIGHER !!!
--------------------------------------------------------
Here's another one with the electrical manual as well as the 2 shop manuals.

2010 Ford LINCOLN MKS Service Repair Shop Workshop Manual Set Factory W EWD OEM | eBay

This one has a best offer option---Offer him $50 for all 3 manuals---he will probably accept it---and he includes shipping.

RON

Simonsays

Simonsays,

Did you ever get your bulbs out ??? Did you buy a manual ???

RON
I didnt get a chance to yet, too cold to work in the garage, ill definately write and post up what i find when i do. And I will pick up a manual in the coming weeks... Gotta pay the purse tax first with the wife on me getting the new lincoln and not her 😊

Simonsays

I didnt get a chance to yet, too cold to work in the garage, ill definately write and post up what i find when i do. And I will pick up a manual in the coming weeks... Gotta pay the purse tax first with the wife on me getting the new lincoln and not her 😊
Picked up the repair manual and delivered today. Good timing, im going to be working on a couple suspension things. Ill also be posting a few videos maybe on some interior mods i have planned. Thanks again for the links

HTML