Help with duplicate keys/remote, 97 Lincoln Continental?

Thread starter #1
Hi
I am new to this forum,I live in the UK and have just purchased a 97 Lincoln Continental.

It came with only one door ignition key and remote fob as shown as (1) & (2) in image.

Checking the car over underneath, I found something fastened to the chassis with a plastic tie.
It was the trunk key (3)

Local locksmith cut a Ford key (4) It looks identical but it wont even enter the door lock or ignition?

He ordered another blank and cut key (5). This key only goes half way in the door locks, but goes in
the ignition and starts the car?

Attempt at cutting a spare trunk key are so far unsuccessful.

I think the key style is a 'Jewel' key with the Lincoln motif missing. I would like to get a new set?
Key blanks advertised from the US look identical to key (3) here, and prices for these keys, particularly shipping costs are very high.

The remote unlock is finicky on locking, despite new batteries, and might be faulty?
I have ordered a square replacement from ebay, which may or may not work?
I did find the method of programming by 8 turns of the ignition.

This Remote looks original? Can this shape still be purchased?

What about transponders? does the 97 have them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Screenshot 2018-12-22 at 18.29.53.png

flaokie

My car is a 2002 but I think the 1997 should be the same.
Hope this helps.

Factory Remote---
Part numbers--
#F80B-15K601-AA
#F80B-15K601-BA

They are square with 4 buttons on the front.
The factory one that came with my car has a switch on the back to disable the memory recall feature of the Drivers Select option.
The one I bought as a backup off Ebay was a used OEM and had no switch.
Either part number will work.

The car’s computer allows up to 4 remotes to be programmed into the system.
Ebay has many that sell remotes – type in the part numbers and there will be many choices.

Keys--
These cars came with a black master key and a grey valet key.
They are transponder keys.
I have never heard about a key just for the trunk.

The master key starts the car and allows opening and locking of the doors trunk and glove box.
The valet key only operates the doors and ignition.
The factory key that came with my car looks like your #4.

Keys #1 and #4 appear to be different lengths. What about the thicknesses?
It’s been awhile, but I think I read somewhere the length of the shank or the length of length wise grooves is the difference between a master and a valet key.

Key#5 appears not to have a transponder. That’s why it will work if key#1 is nearby.

I don’t know about your side of the pond but here you can go to a locksmith and have the master key “cloned”. The car’s computer allows for something like 4 or 6 different transponder keys to be programmed and stored into the system. With a “clone” key the computer thinks the original key and the “clone” are the same key.

Good luck.

Thread starter #4
Thanks for your reply flaokie

I have ordered a similar remote from Ebay. See if this work?

With great difficulty due to wear, I read from the original remote
Canada 109 K142 or 109 K1421?
FCC ID HJ002 but could be LHJ002

FCC ID search comes up with 1 device of 315mhz
OET Equipment Authorization System FCC Form 731 FCC ID: LHJ 002

There is a switch on the back of the remote.

I am surprised that there is a transponder in the original key as there does not appear to be room?

The keys cut by the locksmith that don't fit have transponder compartments, but the new key that fits the
ignition (but not the door?) does not.

I may order a key from eBay that specifically mention Lincoln compatibility with a transponder compartment,
and get that cut?

Thickness measured with a micrometer
original 107 thou
replacement 102 thou

Lengths, The machined part of the keys are the same length, the shaft above the machining differs?

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Welcome @Mick2me to the Forum.

This Continental forum is for the 2017 and up Continental that uses a transponder key that stays in your pocket and allows electronic door access and a press button start. You will likely get more good input, like that of @flaokie, from the forum here: Lincoln Continental / Continental Town Car Forum that deals with the PATS system transponder key and remote door locks through the DDM.

Attached are the pics of the keys for my 2007 Town Car where the grey key is the valet (starts engine and opens the driver door) and the black key is full function, to start engine and open all doors and glove box and trunk.

Good luck.

Attachments

flaokie

Mr Town—
I can’t tell from your pics – which key is thicker – the black or grey?
I realize we are talking 2 different cars/years here, but I now recall reading somewhere the difference between a master key and a valet key is the metal thickness.
This may be something @Mick2me might want to consider.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Mr Town—
I can’t tell from your pics – which key is thicker – the black or grey?
I realize we are talking 2 different cars/years here, but I now recall reading somewhere the difference between a master key and a valet key is the metal thickness.
This may be something @Mick2me might want to consider.
The grey valet key is thicker than the black all purpose key. They start off the same width at the plastic end but more metal is removed from the width in the grinding of the tumbler notches for the black all purpose key. I think the narrower width allows the black key to go further into the lock cylinders for trunk and glove box. The actual tumblers seem to be cut the same way for both keys.

Thread starter #8
Thanks for the welcome and replies.
Yesterday, I visited the same chain of locksmiths in LINCOLN which is about 18 miles from me.
I went there because the local guy told me they have the equipment to program transponders and remotes.
Lincoln guy was of the opinion that the original key does not have a transponder?
If it did he stated it would cost UKP £79 for the key or £140 including the transponder!
He said they dont program customer supplied transponders, "People buy them from eBay"
Needless to say, he did not make a sale!

Last week the local guy charged me £9.50 and cut 2 ignition keys a trunk key and gave me spare blank,
"if the other one works, bring it back and I will cut that at no charge, I took him a box of cream cakes,

Anyway, on arrival home I tried the the new ignition key cut locally and it started the engine?
I may have not pushed it in far enough or it may be picking up a transponder signal from the house?

Still not clear why the key will fit the ignition but not the doors?

We may have valet parking here, but I have never seen it? Perhaps London?

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I looked up the Lincoln Service Manual for the 1997 and 1998 Continentals. The 1997 Continental does not appear to have the PATS passive anti-theft system while the 1998 Continental does. If your car does have PATS then it will have a flashing red light near the windshield in the center of the dash. The transceiver for PATS is mounted at the ignition lock cylinder to be very close to the transponder key which has a very limited range.

The 1997 Town Car does not have PATS while the 1998 Town Car does have PATS.

I think you may just be dealing with a blank valet key which will operate the ignition and start the car and open the door but will not operate the glove box or trunk. In the old days we had an ignition key and a separate door key, so perhaps that is the case for you, or somebody changed the lock. I purchased a non-chipped full function key to partner my valet key for my 2007 Town Car so the valet key becomes a useful spare for all occasions. An additional reason for the Valet key other than full Valet service is in busy parking lots where your car may be re=parked sometimes. We have those busy parking lots in down town Ottawa Canada that I visit very infrequently.

Good luck.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML