• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Help with decision between MKZ or a continental

geminiRX

I've enjoyed my 2006 Lincoln town car for many years ( I bought it used in 2007 based on a consumer reports recommendation and it didn't steer me wrong). Need some help in deciding on my next car but a little worried in being disappointed by potential downgrade. The most important thing I need in a car at the moment is reliability and longevity (I like to keep my cars and own them). The town car got me 13 years (which is excellent by my standards) but she is rusting and having some electrical and AC issues now - maybe time to well research my next car. I have young kids, so rear seat comfort is also a consideration. I do a lot of winter driving, so an AWD might be of interest (and is something you can't get in Camrys and Accords. Might need a V6 because I pull a small 4 foot trailer on occasion and do a lot of highway driving (need power to pass). I have looked at Camry's (available in V6), Accords (only 4 bangers now) and Avalons (not sure if I like the look). The MKZ are really nice looking cars and the rear seat is very well appointed. I struggle with the MKZ because consumer reports does not give it a stellar rating and indicated that it has a relatively poor "predicted reliability". When I upgrade the MKZ engine to a V6 on the Lincoln website, I get pricing that enters the realm of an entry level continental (which has a V6 with mid 300s horsepower). Continentals also have nice back seats. Continentals have an excellent consumer reports rating and an excellent longevity rating. Might look further into a continental that is used to get it into a better price range (perhaps 1 year old). Wanted to throw out there a couple questions:
1. Not sure I am a fan of the that push button gear selector because it so damn close to the radio. What happens if you accidentally push the wrong button at a high speed?
2. There is button on the door to exit the continental instead of a handle? What is your thoughts on this? Anyone been in a collision and not been able to get out? What would happen if the car had a water landing and the electronics shorted out?
3. Are MKZ and new continental owners happy with their car purchase? Are the cars quiet; any annoying rattles?
4. Is accessing the oil filter difficult on MKZ or the continental? It appears there are protective plates below the engine compartment that need to be removed to access the filter. Once removed, is the filter easily accessible? I was not impressed with these plates when I first saw them on the continental, but after reviewing most other sedans - it is something pretty much every car manufacturer has now.
5. Does the continental share the same engine/transmission as an MKZ - or completely different? If different, then maybe this is why continentals have better expected reliability?

Last edited:

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I had a 2007 Town Car and replaced it with the 2017 Continental Reserve. In Canada we don't have the lower models of Continental, the Select is available but it does not have a lot of features that I want. The engine is the 2.7 twin turbo or the 3 liter twin turbo both with AWD and the 6 speed transmission. It has the 19" wheels with the Michelin 45 series tires. I never drove a MKZ since the rear seat leg room is cramped. The Continental has more front room and rear seat room than the Town Car but a couple inches narrower. Perfect for me. The 2.7 engine has unbelievable power, but I understand the 3.0 is just ridiculously powerful. The AWD starts with drive to all 4 wheels so it is very quick off the line and at about 40 kph transitions to FWD. In slippery winter conditions it will stay in AWD as conditions warrant, and you cannot detect the change. There is a dash display that shows the power distribution to front and rear axles in real time. The Continental is more comfortable than the Town Car and even so it is glued to the road in turns, it is just superb to drive. Get the 30 way seats or the massaging seats since they are extraordinarily comfortable. The stock seats are not liked by one of our members at all. Trunk space is bigger than the Town Car since it is quite long, and the rear seat backs fold flat like an SUV seats do. That is a great feature.

1. I like the push button gear selector. I have not confused it with any other feature on the car. I tried several of the alternatives and they take up a lot of useful space and the rotary ones are not intuitive at all, just a pain. The trans is electronically controlled as is the operation of the shifter buttons so you will be safe pressing the wrong button. The press to start feature means your key fob stays in your pocket and never needs to come out unless you want remote start. There is a procedure for stopping the engine while driving. Best of all if you are parked and switch the engine off with trans in drive it will put the trans in Park for you. When you select Neutral you don't get the freewheel you expect, the car suggests that you press Neutral again to get free wheeling neutral. These safety features are part of a comprehensive safety package that ensures the car does you no harm and keeps you safe if you do not react in time to a road situation.
2. I like the electronic locks a lot, they are great for everyday use, so convenient since you only need one hand to open the door while holding the armrest grab area so the door does not move in the wind out of your control. I had the front inside passenger door switch fail shortly after delivery. No problems since except the rear passenger outside door switch failed and Ford is replacing all 4 door handles as an update. I still like the system. No other problems come to mind.
3. Cannot say anything about MKZ, but I am thrilled with my Continental. It is very quiet, cannot hear any tire noise or wind noise and certainly no rattles or inside noises. The engine makes a very pleasant and powerful noise that a car enthusiast loves, but I prefer quiet. The sound is there in all 3 modes: Comfort (my selection) Normal and Sport. The noise is less noticeable in Comfort but still there.
4. The oil filter on both turbo engines is accessed from the engine compartment. Just unscrew a cap that holds the filter and replace it. The oil drain is under the car and may need a panel to be removed for access. My dealer changes my oil twice a year to ensure against warranty problems. So another few years before I do it myself.
5. The MKZ does offer the 3.0 twin turbo, but other engines I don't know. The 2.7 twin turbo in the Continental is quite delightful. Starts easily in coldest weather, sips fuel even when driven enthusiastically (much better than Town Car even), shifts are not noticeable and the trans has a dipstick a bit hidden under air filter though. But you don't have to get under the vehicle and close the the exhaust to check and maintain the 6 speed trans.

I am sure you will love the Continental more than your beloved Town Car. Just make sure to test drive the different configurations rather than assume you will like them, per the member who disliked the standard seats but did not check out the cars on a test.

bbf2530

I've enjoyed my 2006 Lincoln town car for many years ( I bought it used in 2007 based on a consumer reports recommendation and it didn't steer me wrong). Need some help in deciding on my next car but a little worried in being disappointed by potential downgrade. The most important thing I need in a car at the moment is reliability and longevity (I like to keep my cars and own them). The town car got me 13 years (which is excellent by my standards) but she is rusting and having some electrical and AC issues now - maybe time to well research my next car. I have young kids, so rear seat comfort is also a consideration. I do a lot of winter driving, so an AWD might be of interest (and is something you can't get in Camrys and Accords. Might need a V6 because I pull a small 4 foot trailer on occasion and do a lot of highway driving (need power to pass). I have looked at Camry's (available in V6), Accords (only 4 bangers now) and Avalons (not sure if I like the look). The MKZ are really nice looking cars and the rear seat is very well appointed. I struggle with the MKZ because consumer reports does not give it a stellar rating and indicated that it has a relatively poor "predicted reliability". When I upgrade the MKZ engine to a V6 on the Lincoln website, I get pricing that enters the realm of an entry level continental (which has a V6 with mid 300s horsepower). Continentals also have nice back seats. Continentals have an excellent consumer reports rating and an excellent longevity rating. Might look further into a continental that is used to get it into a better price range (perhaps 1 year old). Wanted to throw out there a couple questions:
1. Not sure I am a fan of the that push button gear selector because it so damn close to the radio. What happens if you accidentally push the wrong button at a high speed?
2. There is button on the door to exit the continental instead of a handle? What is your thoughts on this? Anyone been in a collision and not been able to get out? What would happen if the car had a water landing and the electronics shorted out?
3. Are MKZ and new continental owners happy with their car purchase? Are the cars quiet; any annoying rattles?
4. Is accessing the oil filter difficult on MKZ or the continental? It appears there are protective plates below the engine compartment that need to be removed to access the filter. Once removed, is the filter easily accessible? I was not impressed with these plates when I first saw them on the continental, but after reviewing most other sedans - it is something pretty much every car manufacturer has now.
5. Does the continental share the same engine/transmission as an MKZ - or completely different? If different, then maybe this is why continentals have better expected reliability?
Hi geminiRX. I can pretty much vouch for the information Town stated in his reply. I will just add a bit of my personal experience.

This past June I purchased my factory ordered 2018 MKZ. A 3.0L AWD Reserve model (trim designations have changed for the 2019 model year), with every option and option package except for a moonroof. Cross shopped both the MKZ and the Continental. Both are beautiful, quiet, comfortable cars. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either model. In fact, both cars are so quiet that most of the engine sound which Town refers to is actually synthesized and fed in through the sound system. That is why it is quieter in "Comfort" mode. Or alternately, louder in "Sport". Lincoln makes the synthesized engine sounds more aggressive in "Sport" mode.

In my case, the Continental was a bit bigger than I needed. I don't carry adult sized back seat passengers very often at all. In fact, now that I think about it, only once since I purchased in June. Plus, I already had a 2007 MKZ, so was familiar, comfortable and satisfied with the size, although there is no comparison to the new MKZ's. The MKZ is a bit sportier and nimble than the Continental, due to the slightly smaller size and weight. The Continental will give more interior room and a smoother ride overall for the same reasons.

As far as pricing: While it is true you can option out a fully loaded MKZ into Continental territory, the MKZ will be better equipped at that price point. You would need to option up the Continental to get all the features of the loaded MKZ. Of course, you will get a few not available on the MKZ at all, such as the electronic opening/closing doors.

When I priced both out last year, optioning a Continental Reserve 3.0T AWD similarly (plus the standard electronic doors etc.) to my fully loaded (minus moonroof) MKZ Reserve 3.0T AWD put the Continental about $4,000-$4.500 higher than the MKZ. On the other hand, if you are still undecided but regularly carry adult passengers in the back seat, the Continental would be the better choice for your backseat passengers, comfort wise. And incentives may be better now, one way or the other.

Addressing your numbered concerns with anything I can add to what Town stated already:
1. As Town mentioned, nothing will happen if you push the wrong button while driving. And you get used to it quickly. When I get into the 2007 MKZ, or other cars, my natural reaction now is to reach for a button on the dash, instead of a shift lever on the console.
2. There is a manual release button for the doors, in case the electronic release fails.
3. I am very happy with my 2018 MKZ. No rattles, no problems.
4. Oil changes are no different than most modern cars. Almost all now have under-body trays for aerodynamics.
5. I believe both cars share the same 6F55 transmission, at least on the 2.7T Continental and 3.0T MKZ and Continental V-6's. Not sure at the moment what transmission the base 4 cylinder MKZ uses. And you have to remember that the MKZ has a Hybrid version too. So mixing in the 4 cylinder and Hybrid MKZ models may affect "Reliability" ratings, which I take with a grain of salt anyway. And the MKZ was dinged in pre 2017 "Reliability" ratings due to problems with the "Lincoln Touch" user interface/connectivity system. That user interface/connectivity system has now been replaced with the much more intuitive, user friendly and reliable SYNC3 system, which has received rave reviews.

I would recommend taking a nice long test drive in both cars, then deciding which you prefer. In my case, I chose the MKZ because it better fit what I needed. And most of that choice came down to not needing the bigger car.

Either way, I would say you can not go wrong with either car.

On a side note: In addition to many Mustang GT's over the years, I also had a Town Car. A 1990 model which I inherited from my dad when he passed away in 1991. I kept it maintained and covered, using it as a weekend driver for many years, until I sold it and replaced it with the 2007 Lincoln MKZ.

Good luck with your choice, geminiRX.

Last edited:

geminiRX

I had a 2007 Town Car and replaced it with the 2017 Continental Reserve. In Canada we don't have the lower models of Continental, the Select is available but it does not have a lot of features that I want. The engine is the 2.7 twin turbo or the 3 liter twin turbo both with AWD and the 6 speed transmission. It has the 19" wheels with the Michelin 45 series tires. I never drove a MKZ since the rear seat leg room is cramped. The Continental has more front room and rear seat room than the Town Car but a couple inches narrower. Perfect for me. The 2.7 engine has unbelievable power, but I understand the 3.0 is just ridiculously powerful. The AWD starts with drive to all 4 wheels so it is very quick off the line and at about 40 kph transitions to FWD. In slippery winter conditions it will stay in AWD as conditions warrant, and you cannot detect the change. There is a dash display that shows the power distribution to front and rear axles in real time. The Continental is more comfortable than the Town Car and even so it is glued to the road in turns, it is just superb to drive. Get the 30 way seats or the massaging seats since they are extraordinarily comfortable. The stock seats are not liked by one of our members at all. Trunk space is bigger than the Town Car since it is quite long, and the rear seat backs fold flat like an SUV seats do. That is a great feature.

1. I like the push button gear selector. I have not confused it with any other feature on the car. I tried several of the alternatives and they take up a lot of useful space and the rotary ones are not intuitive at all, just a pain. The trans is electronically controlled as is the operation of the shifter buttons so you will be safe pressing the wrong button. The press to start feature means your key fob stays in your pocket and never needs to come out unless you want remote start. There is a procedure for stopping the engine while driving. Best of all if you are parked and switch the engine off with trans in drive it will put the trans in Park for you. When you select Neutral you don't get the freewheel you expect, the car suggests that you press Neutral again to get free wheeling neutral. These safety features are part of a comprehensive safety package that ensures the car does you no harm and keeps you safe if you do not react in time to a road situation.
2. I like the electronic locks a lot, they are great for everyday use, so convenient since you only need one hand to open the door while holding the armrest grab area so the door does not move in the wind out of your control. I had the front inside passenger door switch fail shortly after delivery. No problems since except the rear passenger outside door switch failed and Ford is replacing all 4 door handles as an update. I still like the system. No other problems come to mind.
3. Cannot say anything about MKZ, but I am thrilled with my Continental. It is very quiet, cannot hear any tire noise or wind noise and certainly no rattles or inside noises. The engine makes a very pleasant and powerful noise that a car enthusiast loves, but I prefer quiet. The sound is there in all 3 modes: Comfort (my selection) Normal and Sport. The noise is less noticeable in Comfort but still there.
4. The oil filter on both turbo engines is accessed from the engine compartment. Just unscrew a cap that holds the filter and replace it. The oil drain is under the car and may need a panel to be removed for access. My dealer changes my oil twice a year to ensure against warranty problems. So another few years before I do it myself.
5. The MKZ does offer the 3.0 twin turbo, but other engines I don't know. The 2.7 twin turbo in the Continental is quite delightful. Starts easily in coldest weather, sips fuel even when driven enthusiastically (much better than Town Car even), shifts are not noticeable and the trans has a dipstick a bit hidden under air filter though. But you don't have to get under the vehicle and close the the exhaust to check and maintain the 6 speed trans.

I am sure you will love the Continental more than your beloved Town Car. Just make sure to test drive the different configurations rather than assume you will like them, per the member who disliked the standard seats but did not check out the cars on a test.

geminiRX

Thank you for the very thorough review of the continental. I really like that it’s an AWD as the town car is quite a nail biter in winter without snow tires. The Achilles heel on my Towncar was window switches on the driver side wearing out. I am hoping that replacing the electronic door latch proves to be something one can do themselves and not cost a fortune for the replacement part. Looks like a magestic ride. I can hardly wait to test drive one:)

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Thank you for the very thorough review of the continental. I really like that it’s an AWD as the town car is quite a nail biter in winter without snow tires. The Achilles heel on my Towncar was window switches on the driver side wearing out. I am hoping that replacing the electronic door latch proves to be something one can do themselves and not cost a fortune for the replacement part. Looks like a magestic ride. I can hardly wait to test drive one:)
You must be a great winter driver, I thought the 2007 Town Car was undriveable on the stock Michelin tires. Had to buy snow tires right away in March to see out the winter without doing damage. Then it was great, lots of traction and a safe and stable ride. I have snow tires on dedicated 19" winter rims on my Continental and everything is great. AWD does not help a whole lot in braking.

I never had trouble with window switches probably because I did not use them much. The windows stay closed all the time except for reaching out for parking machine tickets. If you drive up beside those machines the Continental has 4 cameras for an around view and radar based sensors around the car so it tells you what part of the car is close to an obstruction, green changes to orange and then red. That helps a lot while snuggling up to the machine so you can just take the ticket without any trouble.

mkx_wanders

Kalifornia
While my wife and I are SUV/Crossover enthusiasts, the Continental was going to be our next purchase, if the Aviator didn't appear on the horizon. Now it is a consideration between the two. The Continental is comfort to the nines.

The MKZ 3.0T AWD is a BEAST (Pedal to the floor, the horizon will disappear under the bonnet, don't ask me why), but the Comfort Mode (w/CDS) does not match our MKX (w/o CDS), but the Continential did (w/CDS).

YMMV.

jay52

i like the 2019 mkz & unfortunately need to consider getting a new car. i love my 2009 buick lucerne super mostly due to 8 cyliners power and consequent ride. what has been anyone's experience with the 4 cylinder mkz? 6 cylinder ones are hard to find in color variety and with fwd instead of awd. i'm having trouble with the thought of going from 8 to 4!!

thx.

bbf2530

i like the 2019 mkz & unfortunately need to consider getting a new car. i love my 2009 buick lucerne super mostly due to 8 cyliners power and consequent ride. what has been anyone's experience with the 4 cylinder mkz? 6 cylinder ones are hard to find in color variety and with fwd instead of awd. i'm having trouble with the thought of going from 8 to 4!!

thx.
Hi jay. I have a 2018 3.0T AWD MKZ (also a 2007 MKZ). Having said that, I drove the 2.0T when I was shopping, and the 2.0T I-4 MKZ has plenty of power. That engine produces 245 HP and 274 lb.-ft. of torque.

As far as finding a 3.0T that you like: You don't have to settle for what is on the Dealers lot. Why not factory order one from your Lincoln Dealer? Then you can have one equipped exactly as you would like, in the color you would like, etc. No settling for something "close to" what you wanted.

Good luck with your shopping and let us know how you make out.

direct007

Southern NJ
I realize this post is 5 months old but I leased a loaded 2017 MKZ and just gave it back and picked up a loaded 2019 Continental Reserve. The MKZ had the 2.0 engine which was fine as far as power goes and the Continental has the 400 hp engine which gives it the pick up and go that I enjoy.

When I was trying to decide which vehicle I wanted to replace the MKZ with, I went to the Philly auto show in January and sat in the Lincoln Nautilus and MKC...both nice but I didn't get that feeling of "this is it, this is what I want to drive" until I sat in the Continental. It exudes Luxury the minute you sit in the 30 way adjustable power seats. If you like buttons and gadgets, the Continental has it all plus some. Many convenience features that give you the wow factor.

I was under the impression before I actually sat in the Continental that it would be to big to maneuver with ease but I was wrong. The car is about the same size as the MKZ, just a little longer and just as easy to drive and handle. I would suggest if you are on the fence of which car to choose...take a test drive in both and decide for yourself. The MKZ is a fine automobile, the Continental steps it up a few notches.

HTML