Help!!! Problem with volume bar on 2013 MKZ hybrid

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

JSL

I bought my 2013 MKZ hybrid in May, and I am having a terrible time with the volume bar on the console. I never touch the thing because I use the volume control on the steering wheel. Yet that volume bar (I'm not sure I'm calling it the right thing -- it's the thing on the console that you swipe to control the volume) controls itself. Here's what happens. I'm in the car listening to satellite radio. I'll hear a beep, and then the volume either goes all the way down (so I hear nothing), or it increases a bit. I'll hear another beep, and the volume goes up some more. Then the volume blasts -- turns on full volume. I have to hit the audio off button several times to turn it off - it's like the thing is possessed and doesn't want me to turn it off! If I mute the sound, it won't stay muted. And it's another struggle to turn the volume down with the steering wheel control. Once the audio system is off, the volume bar keeps beeping, and it flashes the light as though it is being swiped. I've taken my car to the dealer four times for this problem. The first two times they said that they couldn't duplicate the problem (it doesn't happen all of the time), so there was nothing for them to fix (great answer, huh?). The third time I insisted that they reboot the system, even though once again they couldn't duplicate the problem (I explained it in detail to them). That didn't work either. This last time I was in for the software update, and the mechanic actually did have the radio blast at him while he was working on it. Said it scared the s*** out of him! He said the software update would take care of the problem. Last night on my way home from work, though, it happened again. It was even controlling the volume on the phone when I was calling my husband to tell him that the software update didn't fix it. And it kept beeping even after I turned the car off and opened the door. I spent all last night on the computer to see if anyone else has had this problem. I discovered this forum, and thought I'd see if anyone could help. I did a search through the forum, but haven't seen this problem. Is anyone else having this problem? If so, how did you get it fixed? I didn't get a chance to call the dealer today, but I will tomorrow. I am so frustrated! I love the car, but I'm sick of having to drive for 45 minutes with no radio. I don't know if the Lemon Law applies when the radio is not usable, but this was an expensive car for me, and it ticks me off that I can't consistently use the radio (not to mention that it's dangerous when the radio turns itself on full blast without warning -- at least now I'm getting the warning beeps -- didn't always do that). Thanks for your help!!!

njs29a

I don't have this issue, but here are a couple of troubleshooting tips:
try to pay careful attention to the situations under which it occurs so it can be replicated.... is the a/c on/off? is the bluetooth connected? are you on the phone?
have you tried different audio sources (cd, vs radio, vs xm, vs usb)?
have you cleaned the center stack with any chemicals recently that could affect the sensitivity or make the bar think you want the volume all the way up?
does your fan speed "slider" work normally?
is the steering wheel volume button stuck up or down?

JSL

njs29a -- Thanks for responding & for your tips. I was trying to pay attention to when it happened. The very first time was after I took the car to a car wash -- one of those drive-in kinds where the car is not on a conveyor belt. I thought at first that the water triggered something, but the next time it happened was on a clear sunny day. My phone was always connected, but I wasn't on it. And I didn't try it with a CD or the regular radio -- it was a struggle to get the volume down again so I just turned the audio off (although that was a struggle). I would never use a chemical cleaner on the console. The fan slider works fine. And the steering wheel buttons are working just fine.

I do have an update. The car is at the dealer's now, and they ran some diagnostic tests with Ford (I guess online -- not sure how this works). The car failed one of the diagnostic tests, so they ordered a new panel for me. The panel is now in, and I'm picking up the car in about an hour. I'll let you know if this works in case anyone else ever has this problem. I don't know why they didn't just run this diagnostic test the first time I took it in!

Serraph

I remember reading some where that it happened on an older MKZ but not a new one.

AlonFW

This happened on our loaner 2013 MKZ while we had ours in for a software update. It was very unnerving! In our case the radio would turn on by itself after we turned it off. Eventually we were able to switch it to an iPhone for input, then mute the phone to get the system to be quite. Luckily, it being a loaner, we were able to give it back. But for good measure I took video of the behavior. That would be my advice, if you can take video with your smart phone or digital camera, do that and show them.

Personally I doubt it is a software issue that any kind of reset would solve. I think it is either a bad connection or just the touch board on that section of the dash is bad. It thinks it is being touched when it is not.

Hope you figure it out. Let us know what the fix ends up being.

Any update? I have the same problem on my 2013 MKZ (not a hybrid) and brought it to the dealership. I even gave them a link to this discussion. They said they couldn't duplicate the problem (which I told them they most likely wouldn't be able to) and had the car ready for pickup the next day. I asked them if they read this thread and they just reiterated that they couldn't replicate. I told them if it happens again, it will take it to social media. A couple days of having it back, it happened again. Started a small twitter rant and got the attention of the dealership once again. They offered to come to my home to pick up the car and provide a loaner. I appreciated the offer, but asked them if they actually had a fix? I told them that I do not want to have the car in to only be told aren't able to replicate. I took video of the erratic volume and shared it with the dealership. Now I wait.
I'm also running into other issues including an error message when attempting adaptive cruise control. My drivers side mirror does not defog. The LED lights sometimes change color on their own.
It's getting pretty frustrating.

jcole2013

I'm still having erratic volume issues and the dealership is unable to recreate nor resolve the problem after two visits. I recorded the problem and wondering if anyone else with this issue has found a fix from their dealership. I'm desperate! Here's the video I recorded and posted to YouTube - http://youtu.be/dI53dsuWGM8
Mine is doing the same thing! Its worthless to have a radio in a 2013
Lincoln MKZ. All it does is eject cds whole time and change off and on
and turn volume up and down and change radio stations. I have to strive
not to punch my screen out every drive

RAB

There's a TSB for "Uncommanded or Unintended Audio System Volume Changes" now (the other messages in this thread are a couple years old).

TSB-14-0097 calls for reprogramming the Front Control Interface Module (FCIM) with the latest update to solve the erratic volume problems.

Lincoln dealers should be able to perform the update under warranty, and it takes less than an hour.

aassed

It’s now 2020 and I’m having the same issue with MKZ hybrid. I do pay attention to when it started doing it and I noticed it was during the summer when the car first turned on and was hot inside. Now it has progressed to just all the time. Is there a way to just turn that option off of the volume bar and only control from the steering wheel?

Anzito

I have a 2014 Lincoln MKX and the volume on mine goes up randomly - it's very irritating. It doesn't happen daily but when it does it seems like it doesn't stop. Is there any fix to this. It does it whether on radio or cd player.

bbf2530

It’s now 2020 and I’m having the same issue with MKZ hybrid. I do pay attention to when it started doing it and I noticed it was during the summer when the car first turned on and was hot inside. Now it has progressed to just all the time. Is there a way to just turn that option off of the volume bar and only control from the steering wheel?
I have a 2014 Lincoln MKX and the volume on mine goes up randomly - it's very irritating. It doesn't happen daily but when it does it seems like it doesn't stop. Is there any fix to this. It does it whether on radio or cd player.

Hi aassed and Anzito. One possible fix is in the post by RAB (3 replies up). You can have your Dealer try the TSB reprogramming fix.

Some owners have used compressed air and/or cold sprays on the car as a temporary fix.

However, the only other long term fix is to have the part replaced.

aassed: No, there is no setting to tun off the volume bar.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Last edited:

G-459594

My 2013 just started this, I’m going to try the post above. If anyone has found a solution for this please post.

bbf2530

I’m having the same issues with my 2013 MKZ!!
HELP!!

Hi Sara and welcome to the Lincoln Forums. These LincolnTouch problems with possessed volume and temperature controls are known issues. Unfortunately, the only real fix is to replace the FCIM (Front Control Interface Module).

Good luck.

Casal-Cox

Has anyone found a way to get an FCIM module repaired or rebuilt? Is it possible to get one from a wrecked vehicle? I'm having the same problem with my 2015 hybrid, and I had the dealer download the software update as suggested earlier. It seemed to work for most of a year. Now it's late summer in Arizona, and maybe the heat has cooked it again.

jkeaton

Winston Salem, NC
Has anyone found a way to get an FCIM module repaired or rebuilt? Is it possible to get one from a wrecked vehicle? I'm having the same problem with my 2015 hybrid, and I had the dealer download the software update as suggested earlier. It seemed to work for most of a year. Now it's late summer in Arizona, and maybe the heat has cooked it again.
There is a guy on ebay who rebuilds them.

MsTorres

I bought my car used about two years ago in 2019 for my birthday. That has happened to me twice! Once earlier this year and again a few days ago. Scared me to death!!! I pulled over to get my bearings. The last time I held the volume down on the steering wheel and it worked for a while and them the volume went back up. I tried to turn the thing off and it wouldn't. All of this was going on just as I was entering the freeway. Talk about ANGRY! What is the problem with this vehicle? 2013 MKZ

bbf2530

I bought my car used about two years ago in 2019 for my birthday. That has happened to me twice! Once earlier this year and again a few days ago. Scared me to death!!! I pulled over to get my bearings. The last time I held the volume down on the steering wheel and it worked for a while and them the volume went back up. I tried to turn the thing off and it wouldn't. All of this was going on just as I was entering the freeway. Talk about ANGRY! What is the problem with this vehicle? 2013 MKZ

Hi MsT. Sorry to hear you are having problems. As mentioned in the posts above, the issue is that the FCIM (Front Control Interface Module) in vehicles equipped with MyLincolnTouch and MyFordTouch slide controls has a tendency to go bad.
If/when it does, the controls stop working and/or become possessed, like yours.
This is one reason that the MyLincolnTouch and MyFordTouch control interfaces were replaced/eliminated in 2017 models.

The solution is to replace the FCIM. Or you can try some of the temporary solutions, like using compressed air, removing and cleaning the FCIM etc.
But replacement or repair/rebuilding is the only sure cure.

Good luck.