• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

HELP ME PLEASE BEFORE I'M STRANDED AGAIN.

DENVERGGUY

I have a 2004Towncar Signature edition. For the last week at random times and conditions while driving will just stop. I could put it in neutral and restart it with no problem. Now the problem has escalated, it runs fine in park or in gear idling but just as soon as get moving and it shifts out of low gear it's like gasping for air and fuel and slowly dies. Can anyone tell me where to start looking for the problem.

YoungOldMan

The air filter, the spark plugs, the fuel pump, or a vacuum leak.

The first two I’m assuming you know how to check on your own. For the fuel pump, try putting the window down and listen for strange noises like a groan or whine that’s coincident with pressing the gas. For a vacuum leak, open the hood while it’s idling and listen for a hissing sound

Mercury

The only other idea, given that it seems confined to higher gears, would be some odd electrical fault, presumably in the transmission or its controlling circuits. I once had a Chevy transmission with a similar odd fault, albeit not the same effect.

Or, if you drive with the windows down, maybe your hair starts moving and it is freaking the old girl out . . . not necessarily because it is purple but because you are a Town Car driver still in possession of OEM hair. ;-)

bmarler

i would look hard at the fuel filter and the fuel pump. if the filter is clogged it can produce exactly those symptoms and get progressively worse until it may not start at all or start and immediately stall. i don't know if there's a port to check the fuel pressure or not, but most cars have a schrader valve on the fuel system somewhere for doing just that.

DENVERGGUY

The air filter, the spark plugs, the fuel pump, or a vacuum leak.

The first two I’m assuming you know how to check on your own. For the fuel pump, try putting the window down and listen for strange noises like a groan or whine that’s coincident with pressing the gas. For a vacuum leak, open the hood while it’s idling and listen for a hissing sound
thank you I will post what I find out

HTML