• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Help 2019 Continental Rearview Mirror Disassembly

MarathonRock

I have been scouring the web and even inquired with my dealer on how to open the rearview mirror without any luck. I have a radar detector that I want to wiretap into the mirror for power. I have down this in my last few cars with ease, but I don’t see how to take the mirror apart to access the wires to tap into. Any help would be appreciated.

MarathonRock

I have been scouring the web and even inquired with my dealer on how to open the rearview mirror without any luck. I have a radar detector that I want to wiretap into the mirror for power. I have down this in my last few cars with ease, but I don’t see how to take the mirror apart to access the wires to tap into. Any help would be appreciated.
Does anyone know how to take the plastic piece off the windshield to gain access to the wiring at least? I just need to tap into the wires. Any help is appreciated!

kkriskal

The plastic part should be just a clip on type that seats close to the windshield. I have seen a windshield technician replace a windshield once and he just used a sharp/flat tool to just pop it out and to put it back on, just clicked it back in to place. Just to be clear, I saw this for a Navigator and once for a Tahoe but I am assuming it should be the same type for most vehicles.

MarathonRock

The plastic part should be just a clip on type that seats close to the windshield. I have seen a windshield technician replace a windshield once and he just used a sharp/flat tool to just pop it out and to put it back on, just clicked it back in to place. Just to be clear, I saw this for a Navigator and once for a Tahoe but I am assuming it should be the same type for most vehicles.
Thank you for the reply. Trying to work up the guts to just pop it without trying to break it as I agree it seems like it would just pop off.

MarathonRock

I just got a 2017 shop manual on CD and it takes 2 special tools to get the plastic part off the windshield.
Thanks for the heads up. I am taking it to one of the window replacement places, but would you be willing to send me the directions (if shown) on the tools and how to take it off? Much appreciated!

G-655932

Do you have the part number for the tools required? Thanks in advance!

MarathonRock

I finally got the cover off and I am wondering of the cables exposed if there’s any indication which is a ground wire and which is a 12V power source that powers on with the car that I can tap into? I didn’t know if this was easily identified outside of using a multimeter to determine the ground and 12v source.

HTML