• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Help! 1992 Lincoln Towncar Dash Temp Display reads -40, can this affect emissions?

KWEYRE

If this sensor reports to the emission system it seems it could make the fuel mixture too rich due to reading -40 when it's actually 85 during an emissions test. Emissions Hydrocarbons are almost 2 times the limit in NW Indiana. My Lincoln dealer can't figure it out. Go figure. Any thoughts?

YoungOldMan

Have you tried replacing the ambient air temperature sensor? Engine function would be controlled by the coolant temperature sensor, so the AATS shouldn't cause you any headaches with emissions, but it might nerf your A/C performance.

KWEYRE

I've done the emissions test 3 times: March -Hydrocarbons read 1.17 gpm at noon then at 4:15 PM it was at 2.25. Took it to the dealer he put new plugs clean fuel injectors, replace gas line from tank to injector. now it reads1.52 at 11 AM. Should I try filling it with premium gas and driving a while? $1600 is a lot of money by anyone's standards.

YoungOldMan

Running premium gas from a gas station isn't going to help. You'd need to run race car fuel to have any hope of that working. If you've got high HC it means you're getting poor combustion. If the dealer replaced the plugs then I would assume they're gapped properly and the plugs aren't the problem, but you could have bad spark plug wires.

Does the engine ever skip? Do you lose power under load? Is it rough at idle? Has your MPG gone significantly down? Are you blowing smoke out the tailpipe? Are you losing oil? Any pinging, trouble starting, or backfiring?

G-448097

Running premium gas from a gas station isn't going to help. You'd need to run race car fuel to have any hope of that working.
I might try that where can I get it?

If you've got high HC it means you're getting poor combustion. If the dealer replaced the plugs then I would assume they're gapped properly and the plugs aren't the problem, but you could have bad spark plug wires.

I don't know when is the last time they were changed. 175,000 miles now , I believe they were changed at about 150,000 miles.

Does the engine ever skip? Honestly it seems to run smooth as glass.

Do you lose power under load? It's got all the umph you could ask for from a big V8.

Is it rough at idle? No seems smooth, does seem to sound different with the AC on. Maybe I should set the AC to off when doing the emissions test?

Has your MPG gone significantly down? I've recently only done city driving so its about 12 or thirteen thats been about normal since I owned it in 2001. Maybe I need to take it on a trip and drive 70 and blow it out for a while?

Are you blowing smoke out the tailpipe? not smoke but it uses a little oil like you'd expect a 27 year old car to do with 175,000 miles on it.

Are you losing oil? just what I consider normal, a quart about every 4-5000 miles.

Any pinging, trouble starting, or backfiring? Nope fires right up and never heard a backfire from it ever.

Thanks for asking all the right questions,kl any thoughts?

IMSITTINGINYOURCHAIR

whats the scan tool data tell you about engine coolant temp and intake air temp. if there are any temperature sensors in obd data saying -40 then that would cause a problem. I don't know if you have access to a reader but that would help to see all the sensors live data just in case one is off-spec but not throwing a code.

G-979214

Running premium gas from a gas station isn't going to help. You'd need to run race car fuel to have any hope of that working.

Where can I get some, I'm ready to try it!

If you've got high HC it means you're getting poor combustion. If the dealer replaced the plugs then I would assume they're gapped properly and the plugs aren't the problem, but you could have bad spark plug wires:

I probably changed them about 25, 000 miles ago.

Does the engine ever skip? Runs smooth as glass.

Do you lose power under load? It's got all the guts you'd expect from a big V-8. It goes like a bat outa hell.

Is it rough at idle? seems as smooth as ever at idle.

Has your MPG gone significantly down? Get's about 11 to 12 MPG in the local city driving which is about all I've done for the last 10K miles or so. Maybe I need to take her down the road and wear her out for a bit. take trip at 70 for a while? Blow out the crap?

Are you blowing smoke out the tailpipe? no, it uses about a quart of oil every 3-4000 miles, that hasn't changed since I bought it in 2001.

Are you losing oil? no more than I would expect for a 27 year old, 175,000 mile engine.

Any pinging, trouble starting, or backfiring? Fires right up never have I heard even a pop let alone a backfire, no pinging.

Any thoughts?

G-298444

whats the scan tool data tell you about engine coolant temp and intake air temp. I don't have a scan tool so no info sorry, but the Lincoln dealer did say he's "thrown in" a water pump as part of the $1600 I paid him

if there are any temperature sensors in obd data saying -40 then that would cause a problem. I have no way of kn owing that. I see -40 o9n the dashboard readout for outdoor temp.

I don't know if you have access to a reader but that would help to see all the sensors live data just in case one is off-spec but not throwing a code. I sure hope the dealer tech would have spotted something like that. They kept it for a week, no actually almost 2 weeks

wolf_walker

If you're talking about the external ambient temp display in the digital dash, no that will not effect how it runs. Seperate sensor just for that readout.
Both the sensor and cluster act up with age.

HTML