Lincoln Forums Navigation:

Hello, I'm the new owner of 2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature

davidj03

I just bought a 2003 LTC with 44,000 original miles. My next door neighbor bought the car in 2011 from the original owner with 15,000 miles on it and in 7 years put 29,000 miles on it. The body is completely clean, with no rust that I have seen yet. It's silver with a black landau top and black interior. The upholstery is intact.

I purchased the car as a weekend driver and as a backup vehicle, based on the reputation of the Panther platform as dependable and indestructible. My wife isn't a fan of the harsh ride and suspension noise of my Mazda 3, and this car is so smooth and so quiet only the leather upholstery squeaks when going down the road. I haven't driven a car of this size for 30 years, so was somewhat alarmed by the handling of it. Once I got used to the weight, I can see that it tracks true and goes where I point it. It is powerful enough for my needs. I don't plan on driving it in the winter.

The brakes terrified me, but there again when I understood that given a solid push on the pedal they are very powerful. I expected the brakes to be more touchy, like Fords I have driven in the past. I checked the pads and there is plenty of material there and the rotors look good. I guess I would describe them as progressive, feeling very soft like there's not much braking available, but with a more aggressive push they clamp well. I will probably bleed the brakes some weekend.

The only issue I have now is that the drivers seat needs a little help sometimes moving forward, like the motor is getting tired. I'd like to fix that and found the information in the Tech forums. To save some money, I'll be replacing the motor and not the tracks since it is about half the cost of a new track and motor assembly. I found those instructions and that looks like a miserable fiddly job. The seat works for now, I'd just rather fix it before it fails and then have no choice but to replace the track assembly. I wish there was a way to disable the easy entry and exit feature. I assume pulling the fuse would cause problems with the side air bag, so will leave it alone.

I appreciate the website, and have lots of reading to do.

Is there a good source for the factory maintenance manuals?

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Welcome to the Forum.

The original equipment brake pads are organic, the ceramic pads are much better. Never tried the semi-metallic but they will likely give a quicker bite. Brake dust is not noticeable in the organic and ceramic pads but the semi-metallic usually deposit a black dust on the wheels.

The easy-out feature can be defeated by downloading a new program from the Ford library to the DSM (Driver Seat Module). When the Ford tech does this s/he needs to turn off the easy-out option.

Good luck.

Administrator

Lincoln Fanatic
Staff member
I just bought a 2003 LTC with 44,000 original miles. My next door neighbor bought the car in 2011 from the original owner with 15,000 miles on it and in 7 years put 29,000 miles on it. The body is completely clean, with no rust that I have seen yet. It's silver with a black landau top and black interior. The upholstery is intact.

I purchased the car as a weekend driver and as a backup vehicle, based on the reputation of the Panther platform as dependable and indestructible. My wife isn't a fan of the harsh ride and suspension noise of my Mazda 3, and this car is so smooth and so quiet only the leather upholstery squeaks when going down the road. I haven't driven a car of this size for 30 years, so was somewhat alarmed by the handling of it. Once I got used to the weight, I can see that it tracks true and goes where I point it. It is powerful enough for my needs. I don't plan on driving it in the winter.

The brakes terrified me, but there again when I understood that given a solid push on the pedal they are very powerful. I expected the brakes to be more touchy, like Fords I have driven in the past. I checked the pads and there is plenty of material there and the rotors look good. I guess I would describe them as progressive, feeling very soft like there's not much braking available, but with a more aggressive push they clamp well. I will probably bleed the brakes some weekend.

The only issue I have now is that the drivers seat needs a little help sometimes moving forward, like the motor is getting tired. I'd like to fix that and found the information in the Tech forums. To save some money, I'll be replacing the motor and not the tracks since it is about half the cost of a new track and motor assembly. I found those instructions and that looks like a miserable fiddly job. The seat works for now, I'd just rather fix it before it fails and then have no choice but to replace the track assembly. I wish there was a way to disable the easy entry and exit feature. I assume pulling the fuse would cause problems with the side air bag, so will leave it alone.

I appreciate the website, and have lots of reading to do.

Is there a good source for the factory maintenance manuals?
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up Congratulations on your Lincoln Town Car Signature! :)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML