Hellllllp!

byard720

2002 LS v6 3.0 for about a week the car has been stalling out, requiring the RPMs to be kept at 4-5000 at start so as not to die, and would occasionally choke out even at 70mph. I assumed bad gas so began using premium, which made an enormous difference, but didn't fix the issue. Then, yesterday, nearly ran the car out of gas racing to the station. After that, it would not stay running in any case, and about 15 mins later it would not even turn over. A mechanic says the engine has seized, but it has oil, never overheated, smoked, knocked, etc. I love my Lincoln! Please help!
2002 v6 3.0 244,000 odo

bbf2530

2002 LS v6 3.0 for about a week the car has been stalling out, requiring the RPMs to be kept at 4-5000 at start so as not to die, and would occasionally choke out even at 70mph. I assumed bad gas so began using premium, which made an enormous difference, but didn't fix the issue. Then, yesterday, nearly ran the car out of gas racing to the station. After that, it would not stay running in any case, and about 15 mins later it would not even turn over. A mechanic says the engine has seized, but it has oil, never overheated, smoked, knocked, etc. I love my Lincoln! Please help!
2002 v6 3.0 244,000 odo

Hi byard. Just to add to jkeatons advice: If the mechanic/shop is one you trust, then it is hard to argue with them. However, other possibilities (among many) could be a failing/failed fuel pump or a tankful of bad gas that damaged the engine or other systems. You need a good, trustworthy shop/tech/mechanic to diagnose this issue.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

G-95900

Hi byard. Just to add to jkeatons advice: If the mechanic/shop is one you trust, then it is hard to argue with them. However, other possibilities (among many) could be a failing/failed fuel pump or a tankful of bad gas that damaged the engine or other systems. You need a good, trustworthy shop/tech/mechanic to diagnose this issue.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.
crankshaft is turning, so the engine cannot be locked up, correct?

bbf2530

crankshaft is turning, so the engine cannot be locked up, correct?
Hi G-95900. Are you the OP and forgot to sign in, or another member? It helps to know who we are talking to. The original post stated "... later it would not even turn over". You are correct that if the "engine has seized", the crankshaft should not turn. But the original post is a little light on information as to what "not turn over" means to them.

What does "would not even turn over" mean to the OP/you? Does that mean it is cranking but not won't start? Or does that mean the key is turned and absolutely nothing happens? That is what "not even turn over" means to me.

So we are left to guess exactly what that means, which is why I stated it is hard to argue a mechanic who actually had their hands on the car.

More info would definitely help. But in the end, a good shop tech/mechanic looking at it is what's needed. Which is why I also asked if the shop/mechanic who looked at the car is one the OP trusts.

Good luck.

G-685870

Hi G-95900. Are you the OP and forgot to sign in, or another member? It helps to know who we are talking to. The original post stated "... later it would not even turn over". You are correct that if the "engine has seized", the crankshaft should not turn. But the original post is a little light on information as to what "not turn over" means to them.

What does "would not even turn over" mean to the OP/you? Does that mean it is cranking but not won't start? Or does that mean the key is turned and absolutely nothing happens? That is what "not even turn over" means to me.

So we are left to guess exactly what that means, which is why I stated it is hard to argue a mechanic who actually had their hands on the car.

More info would definitely help. But in the end, a good shop tech/mechanic looking at it is what's needed. Which is why I also asked if the shop/mechanic who looked at the car is one the OP trusts.

Good luck.
"Not turn over" seems to vary with the vehicle. The first few tries initially produced the usual clicking but no crank, and by the third or fourth, nothing at all, but all interior lighting, radio, etc worked fine. Got it towed home, finally found that the starter was all chewed up. Replaced it, but now we're back to the clicking. In any case, the crankshaft pulley can be hand turned and you can see the timing chain move, but still, only clicking when the ignition switch is turned. The starter was a used one, but tested fine upon purchase. I guess I'll start by pulling it back off (ughhh) and having auto zone bench test it. Was also thinking starter relay, fuel cutoff, even security system?

byard720

Not turn over seems to vary. Initially, the first few tries produced the usual clicking, but by the third or fourth, nothing. All accessories, radio, etc., worked fine. Towed home, found the starter was chewed up. Replaced that, now we're back to clicking, but no crank. The crankshaft pulley can be hand turned, and the timing chain can be seen moving with each crank, both directions. The starter I purchased was used, but was tested upon purchase. Guess I'll start by pulling the starter back off and having it bench tested. Also, was thinking fuel cutoff, starter relay, or security system could be the issue....?

bbf2530

Not turn over seems to vary. Initially, the first few tries produced the usual clicking, but by the third or fourth, nothing. All accessories, radio, etc., worked fine. Towed home, found the starter was chewed up. Replaced that, now we're back to clicking, but no crank. The crankshaft pulley can be hand turned, and the timing chain can be seen moving with each crank, both directions. The starter I purchased was used, but was tested upon purchase. Guess I'll start by pulling the starter back off and having it bench tested. Also, was thinking fuel cutoff, starter relay, or security system could be the issue....?
Hi byard. Have you had the battery professionally load tested? Not stating this is the main problem, but it is entirely possible to have accessories, lights, radio etc, but not enough battery to start the car.

How old is the battery? Modern vehicles are heavily computer/electronic/electrically dependent, so 3-4 years is about the life expectancy of a battery.

Your description of the circumstances and results would lead me to believe the engine is not "seized" in the traditional definition. And the "clicking" but no crank, then nothing after a few tries, would lead one to believe the battery may be bad.

Obviously could also be any of the other issues you mentioned and more, but I would start with the battery. Have it professionally load tested.

Keep us updated and good luck.

byard720

Was able to replace the fan pump, reservoir and lines for under $100 thanks to some used parts suppliers, but in the process also had to replace the belt tensioner ($75), upper radiator hose ($140) and temperature sensor ($20). To be 18+ years old, she's beautifully clean, but everything I touch on this car just crumbles. I can't figure it. Door handles, vents, sensors, hoses, trunk latch, etc. etc.

don-ohio

Guard your hydraulic reservoir like a hawk. You would not believe how many `shops' have added antifreeze or other fluids to that system.

HTML