• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Heated Seat not working

Mild Thunder

My driver side heated seat isn't working. The lights on the switch work, and the passenger seat works fine. Its a 2003 Signature I purchased used recently. Any ideas on how to trace down the problem. Thanks!

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
In a 2007 model the driver and passenger heated seat switches operate a heated seat module in the passenger front door that then operates the heating mat in the respective seat. The heating mat sends back information to the module for temperature control. I will see what I can find to diagnose any problems in the system, and hope that applies to the 2003 model.

Good luck.

wa9zug

I would bet it's the actual "mat" that is open due to repeated flexing by the drivers.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Assuming, as above, that the actual heating mat is broken, then the procedure for replacement starts with removing the seat and the seat track assembly. The procedures for this can be found in the Lincoln Tech forum here: http://www.lincolnforums.com/forums/threads/11203-Town-Car-seat-track-replacement in post #1. Before doing anything you must remove the neg battery terminal for a few minutes to discharge the supplemental restraint system capacitors to prevent air bags from actuating.

The first attachment is a description of the heated seat system and gives info on the heated seat mat that you can purchase. The OCS (occupant classification system) is not installed on the 2003 model so passenger and driver mats will be the same. The procedure to disassemble the seat cushion is attached for replacement of the mat. The seat backrest mat may or may not be part of your system so I have included the procedure to remove the backrest and disassemble for replacing the seat mat.

I think I have attached all the procedures that you will need, but if I have missed any then let me know and I will get them for you.

I will still work on getting the diagnostic procedures.

Good luck.

Attachments

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Attached are the diagnostics and electrical diagrams for the heated seats. Tests I9 and I10 show how to test the heater mat in the seat cushion and the backrest for problems. So you will not have to take the seats apart if not warranted. Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Attachments

Mild Thunder

Man, sorry I haven't been on here, but thanks a bunch for posting that information up!! I have some reading and work to do now!

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
For the tests of the mats you can have the neg battery terminal removed and that will make it all safe. If you have trouble with identifying the connectors for seat and backrest you need to separate then I can find their location for you.

Good reading and good luck.

Ericson38

Nokesville Va
Attached are the diagnostics and electrical diagrams for the heated seats. Tests I9 and I10 show how to test the heater mat in the seat cushion and the backrest for problems. So you will not have to take the seats apart if not warranted. Hope this helps.

Good luck.
Town,

Can you please repost the diagnostics pdf, it won't open on our machines here. THanks much.

Charlie
2006 sig limited

TCUltimate2004

Concord NC
i finially got both heated seats working in my 04 TC. turns out mine did not need that module under the driver seat to make it work, as the module in the passenger door controls both thus when i had the one under the seat plugged in and tried to turn it on it was canceling out, took it out and now both work on low and high.

Ericson38

Nokesville Va
i finially got both heated seats working in my 04 TC. turns out mine did not need that module under the driver seat to make it work, as the module in the passenger door controls both thus when i had the one under the seat plugged in and tried to turn it on it was canceling out, took it out and now both work on low and high.
My wife's car, 2006, driver heated seat turns on for about 1 second, then goes out. Passenger side (my side) is good, so I think all fuses are good for whole system. I changed out her driver door heater switch yesterday, no change. Is there a control module under the driver seat for this, or is the control module for heated seats for both seats in the passenger door ? And I can't figure out the part # for it...

Thanks for any info on it.

Charlie

TCUltimate2004

Concord NC
On some of the towncars, there is a heated seat module in the passenger side door. SO there is a chance that it controls both seats, so putting a heated seat module under the driver seat will cancel out the main module. thus i removed the one i got at the salvage yard and driver side works perfectly.

Spot1976

Gonzales, La
My apologies for my lack of understanding, but wouldn't the heated seat module be a factory install? Why would they put something there to cancel out the other? Where can I find the heated seat module? Would it be something I just unplug and the seat start working fine? I just bought my Lincoln and am slwoly becoming familiar with the inner workings. Could you explain with a little more detail? Thank you.

Mike Wolf

My 2005 Lincoln Town car has 97,000 miles on it and the heated seat on the driver side stopped working. The heated seat button will light but then go right out. No heat. Also right before the seat stopped working the seat got so hot on the left side that I had to keep moving as my butt felt like it was getting burned. No burning smell or anything.

ehogue

I have a 2011 Lincoln MKZ and I made an attempt to turn on the heated seats and the control panel will not stay on. I am hoping that this is not a costly repair issue

HTML