• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

headlight doors

oldfred

Just bought a Mark IV, can't get the headlightLIN1.jpgLIN6.jpg doors to close. bought a HAYNES repair manual (almost worthless)
need to replace all inst. panel lights. Sure need some general instructions so I don't have to learn everything by doing.

69Lincolnmkiii

Hi oldfred,
I have a 1969 Mark III. If headlight doors don't close, check to see if you have some vacuum valves in front of the
vacuum tank. Depending on what positio they are in, doors may not close. Other possibilitie is vacuum leaks. Check to see if there is vacuum at the large reservoir when engine is running. Vacuum motors came with springs
that automatically open the headlight doors if you lose vacuum. There are very good diagrams and explanations
in the factory shop manual. If you don't have a manual, strongly recommend you get one. These cars are too
complicated without one. Baker's Auto had a fire and seems to be closed. Lincoln Land in Clearwater, FL would be able to help you. 69Lincolnmarkiii

oldfred

No vacuum leak, vacuum pressure is holding strong. Need to replace the switch but WAY too difficult.
I learned how to operate the doors by switching the vacuum lines under the hood.
Not ideal, but it works. and I can drive the car. I don't drive much at night anyway.
Seriously thinking of selling this car.

HTML