GPS updates

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Wally Mac

Fore years when our car were serviced we could request the GPS system to be updated at not cost. Last week we were told that the dealer was not allowed to update the GPS system any more. We were given a website and when we access it the cost ranged from $109.00 to$ 239.00 for a download. We checked as we have a 2018 and were informed that if it was 2019 or newer it would be $40.00. Really pissed me off as now Lincoln is creating another profit center. I intend to write Lincoln a letter requesting clarification.

bbf2530

Fore years when our car were serviced we could request the GPS system to be updated at not cost. Last week we were told that the dealer was not allowed to update the GPS system any more. We were given a website and when we access it the cost ranged from $109.00 to$ 239.00 for a download. We checked as we have a 2018 and were informed that if it was 2019 or newer it would be $40.00. Really pissed me off as now Lincoln is creating another profit center. I intend to write Lincoln a letter requesting clarification.

Hi Wally. For years with what make/model vehicles? Built-in factory navigation systems in Lincoln/Ford vehicles?
Are you sure your past vehicles were ever actually "updated". In the past, without a new disc or SD card being installed, there would have been no update. And the discs/SD cards were usually not "free"

Not sure about others, but Lincoln/Ford vehicles in the past required purchasing a new DVD disc to update the NAV systems. Then it was a new SD card that needed to be purchased. And those discs/SD cards needed to be purchased and stay in the vehicle.

Now, it is a download and update via USB flash drive (or sometimes, via WiFi).

Perhaps your past Dealers were very kind or liked you and did it for free. But updates have always cost dollars in most vehicles, unless the first few years are complementary ones.

I can tell you it is the same situation for my 2018 MKZ. First two years were complementary. I now have to pay, starting with this years update (NA 2 20).

Unfortunately, that is the way it is.

And as an FYI: If the owner chooses to download the update themself, instead of ordering the $40 shipped USB, they can update a 2019+ Lincoln for free.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Wally Mac

I know what an update is and we received them. I have. Garmin with unlimited updates so again I have some limited understanding what an update is! I still believe Lincoln is simply gouging us and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. of course I can use Apple Car Play and use there updated maps. So I will continue to bad mouth Lincol!

bbf2530

I know what an update is and we received them. I have. Garmin with unlimited updates so again I have some limited understanding what an update is! I still believe Lincoln is simply gouging us and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. of course I can use Apple Car Play and use there updated maps. So I will continue to bad mouth Lincol!
Hi Wally. Bad mouth Lincoln all you want. Write Lincoln to your heart's content. It's a free country. lol

You still did not mention which make and model cars you received "free" updates in (your "limited understanding" not withstanding...a standalone Garmin unit with lifetime updates is not the same as a factory NAV system). This is a forum to help people. So that information I inquired about would have helped us understand what you were talking about. You don't want to help, that is okay too.

Your previous reply makes it obvious you don't want assistance. And I do not want to stop you from bad mouthing and writing.

So let us know what Lincoln tells you and good luck.

Wally Mac

I have had. 2000 LS with a 5 speed manual, 2010 MKX, 2012 MKX and a 2018 MKX. ALL purchased at Corley’s Lincoln in Albuquerque, NM.

bbf2530

I have had. 2000 LS with a 5 speed manual, 2010 MKX, 2012 MKX and a 2018 MKX. ALL purchased at Corley’s Lincoln in Albuquerque, NM.

Hi Wally. Then perhaps Corley's Lincoln in Albuquerque really liked you and gave you free services other customers did not get.

Or perhaps they ate the costs of free NAV updates for all their customers (which was very nice of them), because factory NAV map updates were not free from Lincoln themself, after the first year or two (nor with most auto manufacturers).

As previously mentioned, you would normally have to purchase a new DVD or SD card for all but the 2018 MKX. The 2018 is a download or mailed USB, as you know.

So consider yourself lucky if you got free NAV map updates after the first year or two for all those vehicles.

Keep us updated when Lincoln gets back to you and good luck.

Last edited:

enigma-2

Not sure about others, but Lincoln/Ford vehicles in the past required purchasing a new DVD disc to update the NAV systems. Then it was a new SD card that needed to be purchased. And those discs/SD cards needed to be purchased and stay in the vehicle.
Not quite. In my 2009 MKX the DVDs are loaded onto the internal hard drive and are never used again.

As for the op, my guess was it was a dealer perk to move the 2018s. Offering a couple of years free updates (at dealer cost which was a downliad), was a good dealer option.

I paid $150 for DVD updates until Lincoln and Here dropped updates after 10 years. (There's always Google Maps 🙂)

bbf2530

Not quite. In my 2009 MKX the DVDs are loaded onto the internal hard drive and are never used again.

As for the op, my guess was it was a dealer perk to move the 2018s. Offering a couple of years free updates (at dealer cost which was a downliad), was a good dealer option.

I paid $150 for DVD updates until Lincoln and Here dropped updates after 10 years. (There's always Google Maps 🙂)

Hi enigma. Your guess is certainly a possibility. However, the OP stated his Dealer has been providing free updates for years. And when asked what vehicles, lists them back to 2000. So while his information is a bit unclear, it certainly seems to be more than just a perk on a 2018 vehicle. That was why the information was important.

Good luck.

enigma-2

Very unclear as there were no navigation systems on a 2000. As for the 2010, there are no more updates available. Its possible he understood and the dealers policy changed to not furnishing free updates any longer. (Remember it's not just the cost of the software, but the hour (or whatever) a tech needs to be present to install).

As I've always had to pay for mine, so pffffttttttssss. (laughing)

bbf2530

Hi enigma. Yes, I agree...very unclear. That was why the information being asked for was important, if the OP wanted help. But the OP has not been back to reply since 9/24, so it seems to be a moot point now.

Good luck. ;)