Go fast parts crossover

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

DouglasMenke

May 2, 2022
Midwest
My Lincoln
1972 Mark IV (Hot Rod Herman)
I'm planning to build a drag and drive car with my 1972 Mark IV. I was wondering if anyone can give me a general idea how many speed parts from other Ford from that era would cross over? Engine and drivetrain will be completely re-worked, and was looking for frame, suspension and other such stuff.

Yes, I know I'm nuts, and yes, I'll be taking a lot of weight off it. :D

Action

Aug 12, 2005
Phoenix, AZ 85008-1418
Speed parts from other Ford products?
What do you consider a speed part that would be stock on any car?

The Mark IV platform (like Mark III) was an extended version of the Thunderbird. BTW the Thunderbird is 3 inches shorter and about 300 pounds lighter. The stock 460 for 72 and later had the compression reduced to comply with EPA. So pre 72 engines are always faster.

Not sure what you mean by ¨build a drag¨ out of a Mark IV.
The Mark Series is not really a go fast platform.
It is too big, too wide and too heavy. Which is why Ford made Pintos to stuff a V8 in them.
BTW most Pintos will cost more than a Mark because of the demand to make a Pinto a go fast car.
Let me guess, you are getting a Mark for free or almost free, right?

Action

ford-pinto-6.jpg

Last edited:

DouglasMenke

May 2, 2022
Midwest
My Lincoln
1972 Mark IV (Hot Rod Herman)
Speed parts from other Ford products?
What do you consider a speed part that would be stock on any car?

Looked over the offerings at places like QA1 for better suspension components specifically. They don't make a package for the T-Bird/Mark specifically, but was curious of the Torino or Mustang of the same era had similar suspension setups. If need be, I can piece something together, but a starting point will make the process eaiser.
The Mark IV platform (like Mark III) was an extended version of the Thunderbird. BTW the Thunderbird is 3 inches shorter and about 300 pounds lighter. The stock 460 for 72 and later had the compression reduced to comply with EPA. So pre 72 engines are always faster.

Yup. Got a set of pre-smog heads, and looking at a stroker kit. Engine and trans are getting a complete rebuild, and likely EFI.
Not sure what you mean by ¨build a drag¨ out of a Mark IV.

A "Drag and Drive" car is built as a streetable drag racer to compete in drag and drive events like Hot Rod Drag Week, Sick Week, and Rocky Mountain Drag week.
The Mark Series is not really a go fast platform.
It is too big, too wide and too heavy. Which is why Ford made Pintos to stuff a V8 in them.

Exactly why I chose the Mark IV. It's not a go fast platform, and it will never be as fast as a pinto. But it will be unique. Literally watching the live feed of HR Drag Week right now, and there are damn few big cars competing. I'm not looking to be competitive, just unique, and have some fun.
BTW most Pintos will cost more than a Mark because of the demand to make a Pinto a go fast car.
Let me guess, you are getting a Mark for free or almost free, right?

Already have it, and back on the road. Not free, but below the going rate. Have been wanting to do this with a Mark series for 20 years now. Finally have the resources to do so.
Thanks for your input! Is that your Pinto? Looks nice!

Action

Aug 12, 2005
Phoenix, AZ 85008-1418
No, the 76-76 midsize FM models (Torino-Montego) have similar designed suspension. Short & long control arms. But the parts will not work. They are smaller. As far as 74 - 78 pony cars regarding suspension, brakes or steering, again no. Not even close. Those cars are built off of the Pinto platform. But you could pull your 460 out of the Mark and squeeze it into a under $5000 Mustang II.

BTW Ford changed the deck height on the 385 block in 1972 to reduce the compression ratio and the camshaft and related parts were changed too. Want big block power, get a 69 to 71 460.

Hope you have deep pockets

Action

Last edited: