Fuel

WKDANI

I understand what the book recommends (see below) but I should have been clear on my question.
Is there anyone using Premium fuel and can you tell the difference is performance and mileage?
Aviator Fuel.JPG

bbf2530

I understand what the book recommends (see below) but I should have been clear on my question.
Is there anyone using Premium fuel and can you tell the difference is performance and mileage?
View attachment 9459

Hi WKDANI. All you need to use is the recommended 87 octane minimum. You can use 89, 91, 93 octane and will recieve correspondingly slightly higher engine power output. The full engine HP/torque rating is obtained in testing using 93 octane. Using 87 octane will result in a net loss of perhaps 5%-7% HP/torque. Unless you normally drive your vehicle hard, it is essentially unnoticeable.

Premium fuel will give negligible to no improvements in MPG's. And any improvement in MPG's is more than offset by the additional cost of the premium fuel. So the benefit of using regular/87 octane is it keeps more money in your pocket per mile.

Yes, there are those who will tell their own anecdotal stories of how much premium fuel improves their MPG's...However, scientifically controlled studies, the fuel companies themselves, etc, all prove that to be wishful thinking.

So...if you want to keep more money in your pocket per mile, use regular fuel. If you absolutely must feel the most power from your vehicle, use premium.

Also, keep in mind that even more important than the fuel octane (other than using nothing lower than 87 octane), is to use top quality fuels. Better to stay away from convenience store gas stations and use major name brand fuels. And "Top Tier" if possible.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:

mapkos13

I’ve used both and I can say anecdotally I feel a bit more pep on 93 but then again, it could be all in my head. I generally do a 93 fill every 2-3 tanks.

Corsart

Hi WKDANI. All you need to use is the recommended 87 octane minimum. You can use 89, 91, 93 octane and will recieve correspondingly slightly higher engine power output. The full engine HP/torque rating is obtained in testing using 93 octane. Using 87 octane will result in a net loss of perhaps 5%-7% HP/torque. Unless you normally drive your vehicle hard, it is essentially unnoticeable.

Premium fuel will give negligible to no improvements in MPG's. And any improvement in MPG's is more than offset by the additional cost of the premium fuel. So the benefit of using regular/87 octane is it keeps more money in your pocket per mile.

Yes, there are those who will tell their own anecdotal stories of how much premium fuel improves their MPG's...However, scientifically controlled studies, the fuel companies themselves, etc, all prove that to be wishful thinking.

So...if you want to keep more money in your pocket per mile, use regular fuel. If you absolutely must feel the most power from your vehicle, use premium.

Also, keep in mind that even more important the the fuel octane (other than using nothing lower than 87 octane), is to use top quality fuels. Better to stay away from convenience store gas stations and use major name brand fuels. And "Top Tier" if possible.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
This is really the right answer, with extra emphasis on the part about using "Top tier" gasoline. It's true, not all gas is the same. People spend more time worrying about Regular Vs. Premium, but disregard the brand, which is much more important and has a far more noticeable effect on performance and MPG.. There are gov't spec'd minimum requirements for anti corrosive additives, but those are minimum, and direct injection engines especially really are very sensitive to corrosion and build up. So, save the money and use 87, but make sure its not unbranded, cheapo gas.

bbf2530

I’ve used both and I can say anecdotally I feel a bit more pep on 93 but then again, it could be all in my head. I generally do a 93 fill every 2-3 tanks.

Hi mapko. Yes, sorry if my previous reply was confusing. You will definitely feel (and have) more pep/power when using premium fuel. The full advertised HP/torque for our newer, turbocharged Lincoln vehicles is obtained using 93 octane premium. The higher octane allows higher compression ratios/timing adjustments etc.
When using 87 octane regular, maximum HP/torque will be dialed back slightly (~5%-7%). This is to avoid harmful and damaging engine pre-detonation/pinging.

Regular versus premium fuel mileage will differ from negligibly to not at all. So for the most MPG's per dollar, just use 87 octane regular.

Good luck.

Last edited: