Fuel Pump Module

Jeff Rich

Open the trunk and remove the plastic retainers on the right side that hold the trunk lining on. The module is back there.

RON
Great. Thank you Ron. I was thinking there maybe this morning. Everyone had said take the seat back off but I can't figure out how to do that. Lol

I'm guessing the pump access panel is under the rear seat on the driver side. Do I just remove the 4 back bolts if I need to replace the pump?

Rongold

You have to remove the lower seat cushion---not the backrest. There are 2 latches at the bottom front of the seat cushion.
Push the seat rearwards and then push the handles towards the drivers side of the car and the lower seat cushion should release. The fuel pump access door is under the seat.

RON

Jeff Rich

Checked the power at the pump. There is power there while cranking. If there is power at the pump then I'm assuming the module is good.... With this being the case I replaced the actual pump last night. Still will not start. Any suggestions?

Rongold

Is the pump operating ??? Can you hear it ??? Are you sure that your problem is lack of fuel ??? Did you check for any codes ???

By the way---The pump control module is actually located behind the rear seat backrest on the passenger side panel, but the shop manual says that the electric connector is accessible from the trunk.

Jeff Rich

I found the module. It took me 2 days before you helped. LOL. Yes, it is behind the seat back, but you actually can get to it from the trunk if you remove the trim panels like you had told me.
With me in front operating the push start button I cannot hear it real well. I think I hear it operating though.
I don't have a way to read code, so no. I do not know what codes it is throwing. Guess I'll just take it in (have it towed), in the morning.

Rongold

Jeff,

You should get yourself a code reader. I saw a couple on Amazon for under $25. It's possible you have no spark, but without a reader, you'll never know.

RON

Jeff Rich

Got it working. It was the module afterall. Even though I had power at the pump. Not sure how this happens, but oh well. Its running. BUT.....GEEZ! Now the A/C compressor will not engage. WTF!! the fuses are good. Is there a relay or sensor (and where located) that I can check?

Rongold

Try disconnecting the battery for a while. Maybe something got glitched, or maybe the malfunctioning module set a code and part of the programming strategy is to disable the A/C compressor. How did you get to the module to change it---Through the trunk or did you have to remove the rear seat backrest ???

RON

Jeff Rich

It turned out to be the A/C clutch relay. It had a cut (like a knife cut) in the side. Hmmmm...... Strange. But for $35.00 it's working. LOL
I was able to change it from the trunk. Probably a little more difficult just because of the strange angle. But I didn't have to take the seat backs out. So maybe in the long run it is easier through the trunk.

Everything seems good now. The fuel gauge reads full but the miles to empty seems to be working correctly. I'll monitor that for a couple of fuel fill ups. I'm pretty sure its reading full because I had about 1.5 gallons in the tank when I changed it out. I'm not going to fuss with that issue. I'm done with this damn issue..... I hope.

Thanks for all the help Ron. Have a great Memorial Day!

Rongold

Hi Jeff,

Did your gauge issue straighten itself out ??? Is your MKS FWD or AWD ??? 3.7L or 3.5L Turbo ??? Was the float (level sender) part of the new pump or did you have to swap it ???

RON

HTML