Fuel pump issue

Thread starter #1

PimpNProud

Florida
Continuing my thread from, P0205 obd2 fault code.

I just got done doing a compression test and when I just turn it over a few times without it running I get 150 psi, only tested cylinder 5, because thats where I had the obd code.

After replacing my intake manifold, found out that I have little to no pressure on the rail, I end up swapping my fuel pump and still little to no pressure. I can hear the fuel pump turn on when i turn the ignition on. Is there something I didn't plug in? something regulating pressure? hose kinked? wtf

Brand new fuel filter

I just can't believe after replacing the manifold the fuel pump went bad, maybe it's possible... and then after replacing the fuel pump, I still have no pressure. I think something else is wrong.. tell me I'm wrong.

What is wrong with my Lincoln.

Last edited:

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
So what prompted you to change the intake?

After changing the intake the fuel rail is drained, so you need to key-on key-off many times for the pump to fill the system and gain pressure. The effect is similar but not as much when you change the filter or pump. Priming the system takes time.

There is a pressure sensor on the fuel rail, is it plugged in?

Thread starter #3

PimpNProud

Florida
Intake manifold was all plastic, drove to work, came back to my car after work and seen coolant on the ground. Filled the car with water and drove home and happened to know someone with a used intake manifold. Everything lined up, so I went for it. This being my first time I changed a intake manifold.
All said and done, start the car back up and it's sluggish under load, and eventually catches up, and I can drive it. But flashing check engine light every couple of minutes.

So I have a mobile mechanic come over to check everything over and he ends up declaring it a fuel pump issue. I help him drop the tank, and $500 later, still sluggish.
I break down and buy a brand new intake manifold from summit and I just got done doing it and after installing it I ran the compression test and I have good compression. I just needed a push in the right direction. I'm going outside right now to check fuel pressure sensor.

Pressure sensor is plugged in.
If I drive it, shouldn't that prime the system?

I've let the car run in the drive-way like this for 30-45 mins to try to pull the check engine light. If it's running shouldn't it be primed?

Nothing was wrong with the car before I changed the intake. I can't believe something major went in between the week I changed the intake. I'm not 100% sure but I just think I missed something when putting the intake back together.. I ended up not putting in the rail behind the motor that protects the fuel rail from a crash. So yeah theres always missing parts, but what did I miss thats making a difference.

Last edited:

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Since your engine is running it is primed and up to pressure.

The bracket at back of engine driver side is the crash bracket that helps guide the engine below the car in a serious crash. Aukward to install but necessary.

I will get the procedure for the intake and you can see if you missed anything.

plmpnproud

Since your engine is running it is primed and up to pressure.

The bracket at back of engine driver side is the crash bracket that helps guide the engine below the car in a serious crash. Aukward to install but necessary.

I will get the procedure for the intake and you can see if you missed anything.
If I'm up to pressure, why such low pressure at first? I can rev the motor up and have no issue, but from idle, the motor is sluggish at first and then it goes away. As long as i don't go down to a idle i don't notice it.

There is red and green tubing that is connected to the pressure sensor, could i have those backwards? They felt like they were all in the right spots.

Voltage going to the pump?

Ergader, so frustrating. I absolutely love this vehicle and have put so much effort and time into making her better, would be a big shame to throw her away

Thread starter #6

PimpNProud

Florida
I didn't miss anything putting the intake back together... with more and more thought put into this, pressure at the rail is my issue. But I get full pressure when I throttle. No bogging at higher rpms. It's just the first initial thrust that is bogging.

Do ya think it's another fuel pump?

I have flow through the lines when throttled. But no pressure at the shrader valve when the car is off.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Sounds like a throttle position sensor (TPS). The sensor has a variable resistance that based on the value tells the PCM where the angle of the throttle plate is. It is subject to wear that eliminates the resistance. You can test the TPS by measuring the resistance through the wires. Ohm value should increase and decrease smoothly and not find any places without resistance.

The problem occurs where the throttle is opened more often, so coming off idle the car does not accelerate as the throttle is opened and then it does accelerate a bit rapidly, or at highway speed the car slows and needs more throttle. If in cruise the car will not hold a set speed, it hunts.

Attachments

plmpnproud

Thanks a bunch for all your help, I'll be grabbing a new tps on the way home, will update with results. Good or bad. Thank you.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML