Fuel Driving Range

MarkX

I am learning my new Continental Reserve 3L and I am hoping I can borrow a bit of learning curve with you all more experienced operators. My question of the day is: how accurate are the range estimates of the fuel gauge? I am most interested in the short end. In other words, is zero really zero or is there an undisclosed reserve there? What have your experiences been?

bbf2530

I am learning my new Continental Reserve 3L and I am hoping I can borrow a bit of learning curve with you all more experienced operators. My question of the day is: how accurate are the range estimates of the fuel gauge? I am most interested in the short end. In other words, is zero really zero or is there an undisclosed reserve there? What have your experiences been?
Hi MarkX. Zero is not zero and very rarely is in any modern vehicle. Like all modern cars, the Continental has a built in safety margin and will drive for some time after 0. While obviously variable, assume ~20 miles or so according to speed, driving environment etc.

In addition, since the fuel pump is located in the bottom of the tank and uses fuel to cool itself, it is never a good idea to run the tank down that low, if it can be avoided. Doing so will lead to premature fuel pump wear and possible early pump failure.

Good luck.

Todor

The most dangerous thing that can happen is running out of fuel and running dry the high pressure mechanical pump for the DI in the engine. That could produce metal shaving that bust the DI injectors. And the HP pump.

I often make long trips, so I ran the tank from full top up with persistent pump turn offs to 0 in order to know how much fuel I can relay on. I think once I drove it with 0 left range and it filled in with something like 65-68 liters (17-18 US gallons). Note: this is with topping up after the first 3 pump shut offs. You can get about 3-4 L (a gallon) more that way. I also need that information as one skiing location is at about 810 miles away and the first place I like to refuel is about 500 miles away. So the tank is 10-15L (2.5-4 gal) too small for me. I rely at no beter fuel economy than 22-23 mpg. But that's me... and I have official EU warning and 50 Euro fine from Italian customs for smuggling 20L/5gal of diesel in the territory of the EU from a ski resort that is also a duty free zone. Again, the 96L (88L reliable) tank of my Land Cruiser wasn't enough to reach the place I wanted to refuel :ROFLMAO: Same deal with the Mustang, it has reliable reserve of 60-62L which was not enough to cover a 236 mile of what you call an "interstate" in the times when there were no speed cameras. Lately the wife and the toddler have improved my MPG from 14-15 to 26-30, a miracle! :geek: I never knew automobiles were so efficient at 75-90.

Anyway, the 3.0 AWD on well inflated UHP summer tyres, all oils changed with good synthetics, good new air filter (MANN, Motorcraft or Wix), 100 octane RON or 93-94 RON+MON/2, AC running, cruise control 75-80 can rely on 730 km/450 mi range with 9.3L/100km - 25.3mpg. Normal EU driving with 90-100 it returns 20-21 mpg (which I consider efficient as BMW, Mercedes and Audis with less or equal power consume more) and my personal best is 30.16 mpg with 50-75, more of the time 75. In the winter with no AC and with the radiator blind shut for aerodynamics maybe it could go even lower, also in cold weather the induction system operates with lower losses to supply the same weight (what actually counts) of air. So a theoretical range of 543 miles/873km with overfilled tank can be established.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I have not run my Continental low on fuel, but I think the fuel management on the Continental works much the same way as on my 2007 Town Car where I have run the fuel way down. When the fuel level gets low (warning light on) you will focus on the kilometers (miles) to empty digital display. That is an accurate estimate of the distance that can be travelled on the balance of fuel left in the tank. The calculation is based upon fuel remaining and current fuel economy, so is not completely accurate due to 2 variables that can be affected by car attitude and driving style, but it does recalculate in real time. As @Todor says filling the tank normally when 15 kilometers from 0 distance to empty will show refill tank capacity, so I have proven that you can trust that Lincoln knows your car perfectly.

As @bbf2530 says the fuel pump in the tank is cooled by fuel so driving below a quarter tank is not recommended.

MarkX

Well, I put my neck on the line for the sake of science to try to find bottom. But I didn’t. With the fuel gauge saying I had 17 miles left before Incurring spousal wrath and other disasters, I filled up with 17.838 US gallons. Must try better.