Front turn signal lens change 1978 Mark V

Peter J

I took a cursory look at the turn signal lens on my 1978 Diamond Jubilee Mark V.... they are the ones with the right angled lens with the Lincoln logo on it. I have a pair of NOS replacements, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get the old ones off. Are they bolted from in behind? Do I have to remove the assembly? Do the lenses pop out? Any help would be appreciated.

bbf2530

I took a cursory look at the turn signal lens on my 1978 Diamond Jubilee Mark V.... they are the ones with the right angled lens with the Lincoln logo on it. I have a pair of NOS replacements, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get the old ones off. Are they bolted from in behind? Do I have to remove the assembly? Do the lenses pop out? Any help would be appreciated.
Hi Peter. Out of curiosity, are there any holes in the new lens (front or rear) for a screw, bolt or other type of fastener? Are there visible screw/bolts etc. in the frame/assembly around the lens? If there are no visible holes for a screw or bolt, then the lens must be held in by the frame/assembly surround trim (likely chrome?).

Just taking an educated guess based on my knowledge of the cars of that time (and process of elimination): If you can not see any visible exterior screws or fasteners in the lens or assembly, then it will unscrew/unbolt from inside the engine bay (or from underneath the car, according to access).

And in that case, my guess is you will need to remove the assembly to replace the lens, since it is very possible the lens is held in by the chrome surround.

Perhaps someone with more Mark V knowledge will jump in to help.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Last edited:

Peter J

Thanks, I have felt inside and I can't feel any bolts to the assembly. The lens has no holes, just some small tabs that keep it locked in the trim ring. I do know the chrome ring around it has to come off, I just haven't figured out how that takes place. I should take another feel for bolts... it's a pretty tight space.

BigBoat

I know this is a late reply but I thought I'd pass along they do bolt from behind. They are not easy to get to. You have to reach way up in the fender from the bottom and probably will need to use an extension to remove a nut from the top and bottom of the back of the each lens. The chrome ring around it does not come off. Once those two nuts are off the back of each, the entire unit slides out the front of the fender.

I just took two off a car recently so I'm not guessing.