Front end too low?

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

snazzysaucedude

something to consider as well, since their is no ride height adjustment for the back those springs will have to level out when you are full of passengers. With the back running a little higher it will shift weight to the front as well. I would throw tape on another car of your type and see what the front measures. If yours is close I would drop the back and just let her ride low on full load or get some after market air shocks that you can bump up a bit for a long drive with a full load. I think the front is probably fine and the back looks up a couple inches higher than normal (from the picture anyhow) and appears to be dipping the front a bit due to this. There is my 2 cents~!
Im not worried about the back being weighed down, because I hardly have anyone with me. I’d just need to get a set of softer springs that would make it level with no weight in the rear. Or, if it is cheap enough, wouldn’t mind getting it converted back. Im just very particular about parts they’d use and if it’ll be as good as factory.

snazzysaucedude

Some people say the airsprings ride better, I'm not sure tbh. No denying coil springs are cheaper and easier, but if you can spin wrenches at all you
can replace all the air ride stuff with good aftermarket parts fairly easy. It's a really simple 80's or older era tech system.
There is definitely a difference, I drove an Escalade with air ride and you couldn’t even feel the bumps at all. Same with a 1990 sedandeville. But I’m not giving up on my Lincoln just yet I will look into putting the air ride back. If not, I’ll find a set of springs that aren’t as stiff and tall

Karlb

I could not agree with you more. I think taking air ride out of a luxury car is Sacrilegious! The first thing you see when trying to find air ride parts is skip the cost and convert? They leave out the computer issues and the mere fact it will not ride anywhere as nice as air ride. We have a section of highway here that is concrete slab and it shifted during an earthquake. so every pad is at a different level. Highway engineers have been out pulling up and bolting the edges together but it is horribly expensive and time consuming so it is done in stages. My wife and I were dreading the bounce and bump ride to the airport one year but we had never taken the navigator before. We were almost completely thru the 5 mile section of bumps when we realized we couldn't feel them! oh howdy there is proof positive air ride rules. I say if you have the patience it really is a simple system once you understand all the parts involve. Really it does not have that many parts. For mine I love the fact it kneels upon entry due to the height the navigator sits when at ride level. Plus when I put it in 4wd Low it puts it up another 2-3 inches!! or when the load on the back changes for whatever reason like pulling a trailer or loaded down with passengers and groceries. I will never go to only Springs! Sorry to ramble old school certified mechanic and can't get it out of my blood. I like to fix things back to the way they were. a lot of engineering time went into this stuff. ((Not to say I wont go out of my way to save some money!)) Around 230k I did have to replace the rear air bags and front air shocks, I did not use factory parts - Amazon specials - dirt cheap and in a pinch so I pulled the trigger ( 2 separate occasions ) It has been over 3 years and not one issue, towed, hauled, 4wd, rain, snow, not one problem. The rear bags are BUTT simple. If you have line leaks that is probably the hardest for some to find. I just used my compressed air and did find a leak at the front shock passenger side shock just barely pissing some air. replaced the O-ring on the shock and bam back in business no leaking. This was before I replaced the 20year old factory front air shocks. Go for it you will love it!

Karlb

A word of caution to anybody with air ride systems and it is not unique to Lincolns at all. ((google some other makes, you choose they ALL have air ride issues)) Turn off your air ride before jacking up or towing. The computer has now way of knowing what your doing except that off switch and it is there for that reason. If you cant find your switch pull the negative cable on your battery at least. It is dangerous to work around a live system and it will wreak havoc with the computer as it tries to level the system while there or worse yet you change the values on the ride height and when it starts back up it is lost, it shut down knowing x value and starts up assuming that is where it is yet the feed back say nope your some place else. Anyone familiar with CNC machines knows how horrible life is if you do this with a CNC, major crashes unless you go about it correctly.

wolf_walker

My 90 rode way better with springs than my 04 does with bags. Oklahoma has absolutely tragic roads, nothing rides well here, but the 90 was 70's domestic car smoothe. The 04 is, different. It's ok, handles and brakes better, but on legit rough roads it's not amazing.

If you want the rear lower, just find some Grand Marquis or Crown Victoria springs from junkyard (the coil spring mounts the same whether car had air susp or not) or find a aftermarket equivalent that isn't cargo rated and put those in. Most of the "conversion" coils are taller then normal ones.

These MCQUAY-NORRIS RCS849V are on closeout on RA. These are rear coils for -97 CV/GM/TC. And they include the rubber isolators you need for the top and bottom of the spring. You can use later model coils if you wanted as the axle perch really didn't change.

Karlb

My 90 rode way better with springs than my 04 does with bags. Oklahoma has absolutely tragic roads, nothing rides well here, but the 90 was 70's domestic car smoothe. The 04 is, different. It's ok, handles and brakes better, but on legit rough roads it's not amazing.
Do you recall tire sizes for each? I would be curious how much that plays in the game.

wolf_walker

Do you recall tire sizes for each? I would be curious how much that plays in the game.

The 90 had the wheel and tire size one puts on a car when it's intended to ride nicely lol.
The 04 has something you use when you're trying to handle and look at least somewhat modern.
I think the tire sidewall height has a fair bit to do with ride in these as well.