Front drivers seat Navigator

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Ironmike1

Several months ago several small dark spots appeared on the front drivers seat. I am careful where I sit and do not get dirty too often and change clothes if so. Cleaned it with gentle leather cleaner and slowly went away. Then it started to grow. Parts of the seat were discolored too. I have the Light Dune color, It got larger over three inches in size. Showed to to dealer and they used cleaner on it and nothing changed. I called Lincoln and had another dealer look at it. They said it was my fault.

So I went to upholstery shops that specialize in restoration of classic cars. The owner looked at it and said "the dye is coming off the seat, You did not do this and it happens frequently." Talked to Lincoln and they had dealer look again. The Lincoln Concierge said" it did not matter as it is not operational." The vehicle just turned 11,000 miles.

They refuse to do anything. Really disappointed. I don't take anyone anywhere as embarrassed at the look of interior. Will most likely sell it soon.

Attachments

• IMG_2094.jpg
    IMG_2094.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 11

bbf2530

Several months ago several small dark spots appeared on the front drivers seat. I am careful where I sit and do not get dirty too often and change clothes if so. Cleaned it with gentle leather cleaner and slowly went away. Then it started to grow. Parts of the seat were discolored too. I have the Light Dune color, It got larger over three inches in size. Showed to to dealer and they used cleaner on it and nothing changed. I called Lincoln and had another dealer look at it. They said it was my fault.

So I went to upholstery shops that specialize in restoration of classic cars. The owner looked at it and said "the dye is coming off the seat, You did not do this and it happens frequently." Talked to Lincoln and they had dealer look again. The Lincoln Concierge said" it did not matter as it is not operational." The vehicle just turned 11,000 miles.

They refuse to do anything. Really disappointed. I don't take anyone anywhere as embarrassed at the look of interior. Will most likely sell it soon.

Hi Ironmike. Wow...that is unusual, to say the least. What model year is your Navigator?

Did the upholstery shop mention if the seat can be re-dyed?

Good luck.

Last edited:

Ironmike1

It is a 2019 Navigator L. Has 11,120 miles.

Upholstery shops say has to be replaced as defective. Or I can have new front seats custom made and installed which is around $10,000. They won't match existing leather.

So much for warranty.

bbf2530

It is a 2019 Navigator L. Has 11,120 miles.

Upholstery shops say has to be replaced as defective. Or I can have new front seats custom made and installed which is around $10,000. They won't match existing leather.

So much for warranty.

Hi Ironmike. If Lincoln will not cover it under warranty, I would recommend you check with another automotive upholstery shop or two for pricing. First, that pricing sounds quite high. Second, I know of no reason a good upholstery shop can not match leather.

I had the drivers seat reupholstered, in leather, in my 2007 MKZ about 4-5 years ago. The shop had no problem matching the new leather to the passenger and rear seats. Price was $950.

Now, I realize that was 4 years ago, and perhaps there are special circumstances that may apply to Navigator seats which did not apply to my MKZ. But having to do both seats for $10,000 sounds quite high to me.

Try a few other shops, without mentioning the pricing or restrictions you received from the first shop, and see how they handle it. I would also ask them about re-dyeing the seats, since it is not ripped.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Ironmike1

HI, The real problem/situation is why should I have to pay to replace the interior of my lincoln after 10,000 miles!!! My wife's MKZ had a problem where seat belt buckle cut the drivers seat when seat belt lap section retracted. Lincoln changed the seat back cover twice no questions. Then they discovered seat belt improperly installed incorrectly and fixed it. No charge, just took care of it.

bbf2530

HI, The real problem/situation is why should I have to pay to replace the interior of my lincoln after 10,000 miles!!! My wife's MKZ had a problem where seat belt buckle cut the drivers seat when seat belt lap section retracted. Lincoln changed the seat back cover twice no questions. Then they discovered seat belt improperly installed incorrectly and fixed it. No charge, just took care of it.

Hi Ironmike. I completely understand what the real problem is and totally agree with you.

However, there is nothing I can do about that, so I am trying to help you in the only way I can.

See if you can get somethiing in writing from the uphostery shop/shops stating it is defective leather/defective leather coating, not foreign contamination. Try to bump things up level at Lincoln Concierge and the Service Department. Have them give you a written explanation as to what they feel caused the problem. I assume they can only be claiming it was some sort of spill/foreign contamination, since that is obviously not wear and tear.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Ironmike1

Hi Ironmike. I completely understand what the real problem is and totally agree with you.

However, there is nothing I can do about that, so I am trying to help you in the only way I can.

See if you can get somethiing in writing from the uphostery shop/shops stating it is defective leather/defective leather coating, not foreign contamination. Try to bump things up level at Lincoln Concierge and the Service Department. Have them give you a written explanation as to what they feel caused the problem. I assume they can only be claiming it was some sort of spill/foreign contamination, since that is obviously not wear and tear.

Hi Thanks for you interest and kind thughts.

I have been to Lincoln concierge and they said it is not operational so warranty does not cover. Dealers do nothing.

bbf2530

Hi Thanks for you interest and kind thughts.

I have been to Lincoln concierge and they said it is not operational so warranty does not cover. Dealers do nothing.

Hi Ironmike. That is a ridiculous statement for them to make. It does not matter if "it is not operational". That does not even make sense. The New Vehicle Warranty also covers defects in fit/finish etc.
Unless they are claiming you accidentally/negligently did something to cause the damage, it would be covered as a defect in material and/or workmanship.

So...Just so you can fight this if you wish: Are they claiming the damage was caused by something you did or something that was spilled on the seat? It would not be covered under Warranty if your Dealership/Lincoln claims the damage was caused by a chemical spill, improper cleaning product, negligence, damage, misuse etc. But then they need to clearly state that is why they are denying warranty coverage.
So unless that is what they are claiming, it certainly would and should be covered as a defect in material and/or workmanship.

I have had a center console armrest replaced under warranty due to unusual/premature wear. I have had wheels replaced due to pitting/flaking chrome, etc. Neither was "operational". They were visual/appearance defects, just as your seat is. They are all defects in material and/or workmanship. And defects in material and/or workmanship are specifically covered, as outlined in the Warranty Guide we are all given when we purchase new.

Sometimes we need to insist on speaking to the next Customer Service level, or even two levels, up before something will be done. Not sure how far you went, but I would suggest you try again. If you wish, of course.

Last edited:

Ironmike1

HI, Thank you for your VERY NICE & GREAT advice. I will pursue further. I will try another Lincoln dealer and go from there. I have written letter documenting everything.

Thanks again for "listening" to me.

Best, Mike D

Ironmike1

Having same issues with my 2020 navigator
Sorry to hear someone else is having this problem. At least I am not alone on issue.
I see some dye exclusive for Ford/Lincoln products but reluctant to do that. May go back to selling dealer.
Mine is 2018 Nav L 4 wd. Only 15k miles. They should just rep[lace seat cover. My wife's previous MKZ had a situation where seat belt cut seat back. Lincoln replaced it no problem. Why not this vehicle I dont know. Mike D

bbf2530

Having same issues with my 2020 navigator
Hi G-9. You don't give much detail. Have you shown the problem to the Service Department at your Lincoln Dealership? That is the first step towards having it resolved.

If you have not done that yet, set up a service appointment to have your seat looked at and let us know the outcome.

If you have already had it looked at and are not satisfied, contact the Service Manager and/or Lincoln Concierge.

Let us know how things go and good luck.

vipersinu2

That is very silly for lincoln not to cover this issue.
A new seat cover can very easily be installed. Probally would cost 250.00

Why would they piss off a customer that spends 100k on a clunker!