Lincoln Forums Navigation:
  • We've set up for the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules - and all viewers will need to agree to the privacy policy and terms of use. Everyone is probably used to this by now - but I thought I'd let you know in advance... Close this box by clicking the X at the right...

Ford Announces that the Continental will be dropped in 2 years.

If Lincoln exits the sedan business altogether, as far as I am concerned they should just kill the brand. I would love to see the current Continental discontinued BUT replaced with a more competitive model on a new platform. Not looking too likely at this point.

Thread starter #3
It looks like the Mustang will be the only sedan left for the North American Market in a couple years for Ford Motor. Agree with brucelinc that when the Continental goes, the brand might as well go too. Interestingly, I've seen all but one Ford dealer drop Lincoln the brand and that dealer has a horrible service department. My next closest Lincoln dealer is over 50 miles away! It looks like I'll be shopping for a replacement before the trade-in values take a deep nose dive.

Administrator

Lincoln Fanatic
Staff member
Times have changed. I'm shocked that the Continental couldn't make it - as nice as it is - but competition is fierce these days. And the playing field has leveled to the point where the Genesis G90 is on par with the previous generation Mercedes-Benz S-Class - which is a tremendous feat for Hyundai...

I see comments stating that Lincoln might as well just go away if they cancel the Continental - but that's not going to happen. Luxury CUVs and SUVs control the market in 2018. The future of Lincoln, AS A BUSINESS, will probably be better off with no sedans...

Thread starter #5
Times have changed. I'm shocked that the Continental couldn't make it - as nice as it is - but competition is fierce these days. And the playing field has leveled to the point where the Genesis G90 is on par with the previous generation Mercedes-Benz S-Class - which is a tremendous feat for Hyundai...

I see comments stating that Lincoln might as well just go away if they cancel the Continental - but that's not going to happen. Luxury CUVs and SUVs control the market in 2018. The future of Lincoln, AS A BUSINESS, will probably be better off with no sedans...
Agree that competition is at an all time high and the other brands that have luxury sedans will quickly fill the Continental gap. Not sure I see Lincoln as a viable alternative with or without the Continental since their models are essentially available as a "Ford" for less $ (notwithstanding the lack of dealers...at least in my part of the country). In any case, I will be shopping other sedan brands and had hoped to stay with a domestic manufacturer...oh well, so the world turns.

It would be pretty easy for Ford to have an even higher trim line on the Expedition, Explorer, Escape, etc. and incorporate the features that are currently on the Lincoln versions. Without a luxury sedan, I don't see how Lincoln is viable as a brand. Land Rover is the only all-SUV brand I can think of but they have never had a sedan and they have serious cache as a luxury SUV brand. Lincoln has had so many starts, stops, tries and failures that it appears they are just floundering.

Administrator

Lincoln Fanatic
Staff member
Lincoln has had so many starts, stops, tries and failures that it appears they are just floundering.
This very well could be the case. However, I bet that in ten years or so, most brands won't have any "cars" as we know them now. I think everything is more or less going to become a CUV. Every day there are more CUVs on the road than cars. Eventually, people are going to get fed up driving so low to the ground compared to everyone else - and nobody is going to buy regular cars anymore...

Not even counting the problems and lack of quality in my Continental, one other reason for poor sales is the Continental styling. No snap. No pizzaz.

In the past six months, I've probably seen only three Continentals in my Central Florida location. (One yesterday). Due to wife's illness, have not been able to go to my WNY or NM locations so I can't speak for lack of sales in those two locations.

Not even counting the problems and lack of quality in my Continental, one other reason for poor sales is the Continental styling. No snap. No pizzaz.

In the past six months, I've probably seen only three Continentals in my Central Florida location. (One yesterday). Due to wife's illness, have not been able to go to my WNY or NM locations so I can't speak for lack of sales in those two locations.
While I don't agree with you on the lack of quality or number of problems, I do agree that the Continental styling is very bland and it fails to stand out in any way. In most respects, it is a 2nd or 3rd base hit when a home run was needed. I wish your wife the best.

My three favorites were my two 98's and one 02 Continentals. 280hp DOHC v8, Quality cars that looked GREAT. If Lincoln made that car today, but with upgraded wheels (vice 16 inch) with and upgraded interior and technology, (and perhaps a more modern engine), dealers would not be able to keep them in stock as they would be flying off the lot.

They were trouble free. (I always worried about the Air Suspension, but it never gave me problems.) Wish I had kept my 02.

Makes me glad I leased rather than purchased my Continental. If Lincoln has decided it can't compete in in luxury sedan market, how are they going to remain a viable product in the luxury market. Ford should just throw in the towel with the Lincoln marque and add an another trim level to the Escape, Flex and Expedition. i will be looking at Audi and Lexus when my current lease expires. The outstanding dealership group from which I have leased/purchased eight Lincolns has recently added Lexus and Audi dealerships to their portfolio. Maybe they saw the writing on the wall.

As an after thought: If Ford spent 25% of their F-150 advertising on Lincoln luxury sedans maybe things would be different. Since the initial release of the Continental. I haven't seen more than a hand full of Continental or MKZ advertising here in the South Texas area.

Last edited:
Just like you said.... only have seen a few commercials on the MKZ . Have not seen any for the Conti since it was introduced in 2016.
Cadillac made a great statement when they introduced the CTS in 2002. They continued on with great TV ads. One friend of mine said the only thing he thought that Lincoln did was the grill and it reminds him of a Chrysler 500. There has been no appeal for younger adults to even want a Conti. Maybe if Lincoln would have even hinted at a more exclusive look then the brand could have been saved. Others have the AMG, CTS-V ,etc.
Maybe Ford does not care if the Lincoln goes away!

My thoughts on Continental design: To start, I fall into the "old fart" category so that colors my outlook. The modern star wars, sharp creases look of most luxury sedans does nothing for me. I don't want a family sedan that looks like a street racer. About 1/2 the time I'm out and about, someone will come up and say " that is really a beautiful car, what kind is it". To me refined elegance defines the new Continental. Combined with 400HP and all the technology bells and whistles, it is a great match for my desires in a luxury sedan.

Maybe it depends on where one lives as to others reactions to the Continental. In 18 months of ownership, I have never had anyone comment on my Conti. I used to get many compliments on my MKS and now when I drive the Mustang, it garners a lot of attention. Personally, I don't like to attract attention but the Continental is pretty much invisible here in the Minneapolis area. In all honesty, I don't think it looks any more upscale than my wife's Taurus and not nearly as upscale as my old MKS.

MKS.JPG 0419171137.jpg

Also, Lincoln can't decide on a "corporate " grill.
It seems to me that Lincoln evolves its Corporate Grill along with its vehicles. The pics that brucelinc posted show the evolution from the Corporate "waterfall" grill (through the sideways waterfall which is not pictured) to the new Corporate "Chain Mail" grill. The Chain Mail grill is moving through the new vehicles as they get updated or re-designed. In time to come Lincoln will decide on a change and the cycle continues.

Change is good but sometimes difficult to see at the time.

Good luck.

Agree with Jack and Town. I have many go fast cars that garner lots of comments (GSX, GNX, etc). My 400hp Conti gives me a taste of the go-fast, but wrapped in modern technology with luxury. I may not get as many "thumbs up" as if I was driving the GNX, but still makes me smile all the time while driving it.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML