For Those Who Like To Tinker With Their Aviator

SeanR

Hi Guys,
Well im a new Aviator owner. And so far, I really like what Lincoln did for this SUV. But I will admit to being one who likes to tinker with my cars (just ask my 2016 Mustang GT conv, started with a PP2 pack and ended up with a Whipple supercharger...lol), and I have found some interesting things that can be done to the Aviator. It seems that some of the suspension parts are shared with the 2020 Explorer (if you have a RWD Aviator like i do, and no air ride) Steeda performance has a set of springs that lower the Aviator 1.1 inches. They are progressive rate, so the ride quality actually goes up from what it was stock. Its what I call a firm plush, very much like the GLE 350 or X7. Also Steeda performance has a larger rear sway bar. The bars new retainers are still using rubber bushes, so there is no noise at all. What I like about the combo of these parts, is that the Aviator now rides firm, but smooth. Roll control is much better, and the occasional up and down movement I would get is gone. Over all it gave Aviator that nice firm feeling that I thought it was missing.
Before anyone asked why did I go with the Aviator if I felt it needed some changes...I love the Style, the look, the comfort of the interior, the power. Plus we have almost always been a Ford/Lincoln Family and I didn't think the imports where worth the extra money, when the interiors dint feel as nice..
My Aviator is having a ceramic coating done as I type this, when I get it back weds or thursday, I will try to post some pictures of what that 1.1 inch drop looks like...

Sean

MontanaIrish

Interested to see what the ceramic coating looks like. Any other changes you are considering? I have had mine for about 2 months now, I have the Reserve with Dynamics Handling and love the ride. Upgraded my 2014 Explorer Sport to this.

SeanR

Well, a quick update. At about 900 miles, started having several issues with my Aviator. There was a vibration coming from the drive line, which was the drive shaft, which had to be replaced. The transmission had a shudder around 1.6k rpm when slowing down, or driving slow, the dealer tried to do a re-flash, and it cleared up for a bit, but came back, and now Lincoln is thinking about replacing the transmission. There was a odd clunk coming from the right rear, which ended up being an exhaust bracket that was not tightening correctly, which had to be replaced. And finally, there is a bad smell coming from the a/c-vents. Lincoln wants to replace the a/c system and some of the venting in the car. This was after having the body shop at the dealer fix the gap on the front fenders and hood. My Aviator was made in 12/19, and having a cousin that works at the plant in Chicago tell me that most of the issues that I have had with my Aviator he has seen on cars coming off the line (except the a/c thing, that was new to him). I could have started a conversation with Lincoln about a buy back, but I didn't want to deal with it any longer, and since my father in-law is retired from the same plant and we get a/z plan, we decided to trade the Aviator in, and get a 2020 Nautalis AWD Reserve 2.7...My wife has a 2019 2.7 FWD and we have had that car for a year, and have put 17k miles on it, with no issues at all. My In-laws have a 2016 MKX with 49k miles on it, again now issues at all. So im hoping for the same with the 2020...Aviator is a great idea, just poorly executed. Odd thing is, our cousin tells us that since nov. or so of last year, they havent seen any issues with the Explorers coming off the line...weird..