Fog Light Install

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

DoubleJ

It's real, somehow they're able to get copper to stick to the plastic, and then they chrome plate the copper through electrolysis. It's very thin so tears/breaks easily, but just as hard to paint as any chrome bumper or wheel from back in the day.

bearhntr

Snellville, GA
I had the bumpers on my 86 Town car painted body color (and it was chrome) - I think the guy sand blasted it, then primed it and painted it white to match the car. It looked amazing. Never-ever saw another one like that in all my years. But, then again - I always have to have something unique. Like my 2018 Camaro has custom-made stripes on it.

DoubleJ

Seems to me that media blasting or simply crushing it with an 80 grit wheel would do the trick, but all the local shops around here are either scared to try or have had a bad experience. I personally hate chrome unless it's on a classic car where it belongs. All this plated plastic looks like crap after 5 years or so and our TCs are COVERED in it. Vinyl wrap doesn't look bad, but that's an art form and it's a skill I don't possess. It's also not permanent. I've seen some products to darken chrome as well, but also not permanent. I don't want to have to redarken my chrome every time I apply a coat of wax.

Hound Dog

I doubt you are going to sandblast or use an 80 grit wheel on the plastic chrome grill. Look at the "chrome" on your trunk. Most have bubbles in the corners. This is not durable chrome like the bumper of a '56 F100. I hate the plastic crap but a permanent solution is expensive. I want to buy a grill as they are cheep and experiment.

Along with 50 other projects on my list.....

bearhntr

Snellville, GA
@raiderfan247365

FUSION paint (as I understand it) is formulated to stick to plastic and other surfaces better. I has a built in primer and adhesive for this purpose.

They do make a Matte Black too. I actually have 3 cans of the cranberry red I was going to paint my old plastic chairs for the yard - just have not done it yet.

raiderfan247365

Western Oregon
@raiderfan247365

FUSION paint (as I understand it) is formulated to stick to plastic and other surfaces better. I has a built in primer and adhesive for this purpose.

They do make a Matte Black too. I actually have 3 cans of the cranberry red I was going to paint my old plastic chairs for the yard - just have not done it yet.
I've used it on lots of plastics, wood, metal, glass, it's never let me down.