Flapping noise under passenger seat - exterior, at high speeds

gaimcock

Only hear it when 65+ mph, but there is a flapping noise coming from the undercarriage of the vehicle. Crawled under, there is a black felt/plastic cover that runs the length of the car that is attached via bolts and plastic nuts/clips. Logical explanation is this is loose and is banging/flapping against the bottom of the car at high speeds. Anyone had this issue?

bbf2530

Only hear it when 65+ mph, but there is a flapping noise coming from the undercarriage of the vehicle. Crawled under, there is a black felt/plastic cover that runs the length of the car that is attached via bolts and plastic nuts/clips. Logical explanation is this is loose and is banging/flapping against the bottom of the car at high speeds. Anyone had this issue?

Hi gaimcock. Sounds as though the under-body shield/cover has come loose. Assuming your Aviator is still within the 4 year/50,000 mile New Car Warranty, make an appointment for service and your Dealer's Service Department reattach it. Reserve a loaner (if you need it) when you call for the appointment.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

gaimcock

Hi gaimcock. Sounds as though the under-body shield/cover has come loose. Assuming your Aviator is still within the 4 year/50,000 mile New Car Warranty, make an appointment for service and your Dealer's Service Department reattach it. Reserve a loaner (if you need it) when you call for the appointment.

One month wait to get a loaner car from the dealership for service

bbf2530

One month wait to get a loaner car from the dealership for service

Hi gc. Then make an appointment for one month from now if you need a loaner, or make a earlier appointment and drop it off or wait for the vehicle etc. It may not be a long wait if they only need to reinstall a few fasteners.

gaimcock

Hi gc. Then make an appointment for one month from now if you need a loaner, or make a earlier appointment and drop it off or wait for the vehicle etc. It may not be a long wait if they only need to reinstall a few fasteners.

Yea, that's fairly obvious. Thanks

bbf2530

Yea, that's fairly obvious. Thanks

Hi gc. That's what I thought too. ;)

EDIT - And I meant to ask: Have you got down on the ground and taken a look to see if anything is visibly loose or missing?

Last edited:

gaimcock

Hi gc. That's what I thought too. ;)

EDIT - And I meant to ask: Have you got down on the ground and taken a look to see if anything is visibly loose or missing?
Yes, or course I've examined under the car. Yes, it appears to be loose, but could be designed that way.

gaimcock

Update:

Car was in shop for 1.5 weeks to do this repair and another repair. The notes on this repair are: "Could not replicate customer complaint."

So, it's not corrected. Still has flapping noise at high speeds. Now I'm back on the list to get a loaner in 3 weeks, and for the car to go back in the shop to attempt to diagnose again.

bbf2530

Update:

Car was in shop for 1.5 weeks to do this repair and another repair. The notes on this repair are: "Could not replicate customer complaint."

So, it's not corrected. Still has flapping noise at high speeds. Now I'm back on the list to get a loaner in 3 weeks, and for the car to go back in the shop to attempt to diagnose again.

Hi gaimcock. Not sure how you described and handling bringing your vehicle to the Dealer for service. So here is my recommendation:

When you bring it in for service, do not just tell them what kind of noise you hear, where you think it is coming from, hand them the keys and leave. Instead...ask the Service Writer to take a ride with you or send a Tech with you. Drive it in a manner that will guarantee the noise occurs. Get the individual riding with you to state that they definitely hear it. Now they can not say they could not replicate customers concern.

gaimcock

Hi gaimcock. Not sure how you described and handling bringing your vehicle to the Dealer for service. So here is my recommendation:

When you bring it in for service, do not just tell them what kind of noise you hear, where you think it is coming from, hand them the keys and leave. Instead...ask the Service Writer to take a ride with you or send a Tech with you. Drive it in a manner that will guarantee the noise occurs. Get the individual riding with you to state that they definitely hear it. Now they can not say they could not replicate customers concern.

Yea, I'm not an idiot. This isn't my fault. I showed the service advisor a video that contained the sound. I asked him to ride with me to hear it. He said they no longer do ride alongs. I can tell from the mileage, they did not drive it on the interstate to recreate the noise.

jkeaton

Winston Salem, NC
Yea, I'm not an idiot. This isn't my fault. I showed the service advisor a video that contained the sound. I asked him to ride with me to hear it. He said they no longer do ride alongs. I can tell from the mileage, they did not drive it on the interstate to recreate the noise.

No one is calling you an idiot. We have no idea how you have handled your dealer interactions. Calm down.

Last edited:

gaimcock

No one is calling you an idiot. We have no idea how you have handled your dealer interactions. Calm down.
Got it. Apologize for not presenting all the details. I believe I have done so now.

gaimcock

Does anyone think it is normal to take your car in, the issue not be rectified, and it takes 3 weeks to get a loaner to get the car back in the shop? This is a brand new car

Corsart

Does anyone think it is normal to take your car in, the issue not be rectified, and it takes 3 weeks to get a loaner to get the car back in the shop? This is a brand new car
I'd call Lincoln directly, they "guarantee" a loaner. That means the dealer either provides one, or they set you up with a rental from an outside source. Personally, I would find another dealer. Not having a loaner, not being able to identify (nevertheless address) a problem, and having to be without your car for an extended period for all that is unacceptable.

I'd also crawl under the car myself and do a little sleuthing to at the least show them what the problem is, or even fix it yourself. There aren't too many things that can "Flap" under there, it should be both easy to identify anf perhaps, easy to DIY fix.

gaimcock

I'd call Lincoln directly, they "guarantee" a loaner. That means the dealer either provides one, or they set you up with a rental from an outside source. Personally, I would find another dealer. Not having a loaner, not being able to identify (nevertheless address) a problem, and having to be without your car for an extended period for all that is unacceptable.

I'd also crawl under the car myself and do a little sleuthing to at the least show them what the problem is, or even fix it yourself. There aren't too many things that can "Flap" under there, it should be both easy to identify anf perhaps, easy to DIY fix.
I have no other dealer options in my city. It is a Certified Black Label dealer that is combined with a Ford.

If I go to Lincoln, the dealer will know I reported them and I'll get treated worse.

I've crawled under the car. Whatever the felt/plastic underpinning seemed loose to me, but how to secure it is not clear. Also, I'm not going to diy something on a $75k brand new car that should have been correct when the car was delivered to me a month ago.

Corsart

I have no other dealer options in my city. It is a Certified Black Label dealer that is combined with a Ford.

If I go to Lincoln, the dealer will know I reported them and I'll get treated worse.

I've crawled under the car. Whatever the felt/plastic underpinning seemed loose to me, but how to secure it is not clear. Also, I'm not going to diy something on a $75k brand new car that should have been correct when the car was delivered to me a month ago.
I'd like to think that revenge isn't a part of their business practice. Call Lincoln but perhaps recall the old adage about flies and honey. If you are dependent on this dealer, they need to get it together and provide proper service.

Your justifiable outrage notwithstanding, the goal here is to fix a problem, and if its a relatively easy DIY fix, it really might be easier to just get the clips and refasten the part. Shine a flashlight, look at the corners and down the sides, and see how many are missing and get them, if not from Ford, then Amazon.

gaimcock

I'd like to think that revenge isn't a part of their business practice. Call Lincoln but perhaps recall the old adage about flies and honey. If you are dependent on this dealer, they need to get it together and provide proper service.

Your justifiable outrage notwithstanding, the goal here is to fix a problem, and if its a relatively easy DIY fix, it really might be easier to just get the clips and refasten the part. Shine a flashlight, look at the corners and down the sides, and see how many are missing and get them, if not from Ford, then Amazon.
There are some of the pegs with actual plastic nuts, others with slide on clips. It's not a simple diy fix.