Fake Engine Noise Generator Disable - Lincoln Aviator!!

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

socialpro1

Oct 21, 2022
Phoenix, AZ
My Lincoln
2022 Lincoln Aviator Reserve
Guys - I'm shopping for an Aviator and noticed how the engine upon acceleration has a coarse, almost diesel like sound! It turns out Lincoln pumps engine noise into the cabin through the speakers (Why the engineers decided to do this on a Lincoln is beside me).

ANYWAYS - There are ways to disable this (Fake Engine Noise Generator ) on the Explorer ST (Same engine) with ForScan - has anyone done this with the Aviator or knows if it's possible? Thanks!

Pic below is of my recent rented one, was the perfect spec !!

IMG-7019-1.jpg

bbf2530

Oct 12, 2011
Guys - I'm shopping for an Aviator and noticed how the engine upon acceleration has a coarse, almost diesel like sound! It turns out Lincoln pumps engine noise into the cabin through the speakers (Why the engineers decided to do this on a Lincoln is beside me).

ANYWAYS - There are ways to disable this (Fake Engine Noise Generator ) on the Explorer ST (Same engine) with ForScan - has anyone done this with the Aviator or knows if it's possible? Thanks!

Pic below is of my recent rented one, was the perfect spec !!

Hi socialpro1 and welcome to the Lincoln Forums. Yes, it can be disabled using FORScan on the Aviator. Unfortunately, I do not have the Aviator As-Built information and programming code. It may be the same lines of code as in the Explorer ST, but I can not verify that.

Also, keep in mind that in order to disable the synthesized engine sounds in the Aviator using FORScan, you have to disable ANC (Active Noice Control). So there will be the trade-off of a louder cabin the rest of the time.

Hopefully another member can jump in and provide the necessary programming line/lines you need to change.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

peterk9

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Mar 29, 2014
Russell, Ontario, CANADA
My Lincoln
2020 Aviator Reserve (2023 on order)
I'm not aware of any such enhanced engine noise on the Aviator. Is there anything in the manual about it or what it is actually called? The engine does have quite a bit of noise when accelerating but there are threads/posts here that have tied that to the twin turbos.
I searched the 2020 Manual for "active", "noise" and "sound" and found nothing associated with that feature.

Peter

Last edited:

moose66

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Aug 5, 2021
Holly Springs, NC
My Lincoln
2021 Aviator GT Black/Black
^^^Ditto for the '21. I would not see why they would need to pump any noise into this vehicle. If anything it would be the reverse, noise reduction. The turbos growl quite a bit when pushed.

peterk9

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Mar 29, 2014
Russell, Ontario, CANADA
My Lincoln
I believe the term for this system is called Active Sound Enhancement or Engine Sound Enhancement.
Found this which I posted on the Explorer Forum.
SSM 49953 - 2021 Explorer ST/Aviator - Engine Sound Enhancement (ESE)/Active Noise Control (ANC) Inoperative - Built On Or Before 07-Jun-2021
Some 2021 Explorer ST and Aviator vehicles may exhibit a customer concern of undesirable powertrain sounds inside the vehicle and/or less than optimal speaker sound from the vehicle. This may be due to the engine sound enhancement (ESE) on Explorer ST vehicles and the active noise control (ANC) on Aviator vehicles not being activated. To correct the condition, use the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) > select Toolbox > ACM > ACM - Enable Engine Sound Enhancement and Active Noise Control. Click RUN and follow the on-screen instructions carefully. If prompted with a window stating Feature Not Supported, select OK and continue through the installation application. For claiming use causal 18K810 and applicable labor operations found in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.
APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2020 - 2021 CAR: TV U611N AVIATOR
2020 - 2021 CAR: TV U611N AVIATOR
2021 CAR: TW U625N EXPLORER

Peter

bbf2530

Oct 12, 2011
^^^Ditto for the '21. I would not see why they would need to pump any noise into this vehicle. If anything it would be the reverse, noise reduction. The turbos growl quite a bit when pushed.

Hi moose. Ironically, that "growl" you are hearing is actually the synthesized engine sounds being played/pumped into the vehicle.

Turbochargers actually act as a sound dam and quiet down the exhaust and induction sounds of an engine (except in bad street racing movies🙃). That is why many manufacturers pump synthesized engine sounds into their turbocharged vehicles. Especially higher end/luxury vehicles.

From Lincoln Literature on the Aviator (my bold/underlining): "Complementing the musical undertones, and helping to create a tailored sound
experience in the all-new Lincoln Aviator, Active Noise Control (ANC) uses microphones
in the cabin to detect specific unwanted sounds and sends opposing sound waves
through the vehicle’s speaker system to reduce, or cancels, low-frequency noise, and
enhances specific sounds inside the cabin.
This feature helps to electronically cancel unwanted vehicle noises (fuel combustion
engine-related moans and drones), but enhances desired sounds (such as the growl of
the engine under hard acceleration). When vehicle is in Excite Mode, the ANC system
further enhances the performance exhaust sound note to align with the overall driving

experience. The result is a customized quality cabin environment."

Personally, I would rather not have the synthesized engine sounds. However, I also don't want to turn off the ANC (Active Noise Cancellation). So I have to live with the sounds.

Good luck.

Last edited:

moose66

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Aug 5, 2021
Holly Springs, NC
My Lincoln
2021 Aviator GT Black/Black
Interesting bbf2530. Didn't know that. I would rather have natural sounds. I have my music on anyway. So I basically don't pay much attention to it.

peterk9

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Mar 29, 2014
Russell, Ontario, CANADA
My Lincoln
Interesting bbf2530. Didn't know that. I would rather have natural sounds. I have my music on anyway. So I basically don't pay much attention to it.
I still find it irritating, even with the radio on. On the latest survey I received from a company on behalf of Lincoln, I noted that many in members of a Lincoln forum (not named), including myself have complained about the loud engine noise. I could see if perhaps it was activated in the 'Excite' mode, but not in the others.

Peter

Big Lebowski

Oct 25, 2022
West Suburbs of Chicago
My Lincoln
2023 Aviator Reserve / 2022 C8 HTC Corvette
Reviving and old thread...any "easy" way to eliminate the FENG? I don't HATE it, but if I could eliminate it, it would be nice. Not sure I want to go to the trouble of Forscan and risking jeopardizing my factory warranty. I saw one some information on the Ford Explorer ST forum that a Focus owner just unplugged the AMP responsible for the Fake Engine Noise Generator.

FENG - Fake Engine Noise Generator DELETE

bbf2530

Oct 12, 2011
Reviving and old thread...any "easy" way to eliminate the FENG? I don't HATE it, but if I could eliminate it, it would be nice. Not sure I want to go to the trouble of Forscan and risking jeopardizing my factory warranty. I saw one some information on the Ford Explorer ST forum that a Focus owner just unplugged the AMP responsible for the Fake Engine Noise Generator.

FENG - Fake Engine Noise Generator DELETE

Hi Big Lebowski. The only two ways I am aware of to eliminate the synthesized engine sounds is by...
1- Disabling the ANC system (Active Noise Control) using FORScan.
2- Disconnecting the ANC microphone, usually located in the general area above the headliner (between the headliner and roof). in the area of the overhead sunglass holder/console between the driver and passenger.
I state "usually" because that is where it is located in my MKZ, the Continental etc., but I can't verify exactly where it is located in all Lincoln vehicles.

Keep in mind that doing either will also disable ANC, which will make road noises louder in your vehicle while driving.

In my opinion, Lincoln should have had an option in the vehicle settings to enable/disable the synthesized engine noises, without having to completely disable ANC. But they did not ask for my opinion. 🤣

Let us know how you make out and good luck. 🍻

jimk151

Nov 4, 2022
Lakewood, IL
My Lincoln
2020 Lincoln Aviator Black Label Grand Touring
I appreciate the comments, but mine is definitely a lawn mower sound that I can hear with the doors closed coming from underneath the car when the battery is obviously charging. While I'm standing outside with the doors and windows closed.

Pioneer4x4

Mar 14, 2023
My Lincoln
2020 Lincoln Aviator Grand Touring Radiant Silver/Roast w/302A & Lincoln Play
We just got an Aviator GT, and funny thing, my wife said "It sounds like the Volvo".
We also have a 2019 Volvo S90 T8 (PHEV) that makes bad engine sounds when pulling out. I have been suspecting it as ANC type of thing. Not adding in fake noise, but poorly cancelling noise. I planned on pulling the fuse for the amp to test.

bbf2530

Oct 12, 2011
Hi gang. Just to avoid confusion: In the case of Big Lebowski and the OP, we are strictly discussing the synthesized engine sounds, which virtually all modern Lincoln vehicles (including the current Aviator) with ANC have.

The synthesized engine sounds should only occur upon acceleration, then ease off and cease once cruising speed is reached. The amount of synthesized engine sounds pumped into the cabin will vary according to level of acceleration (the harder we press the go pedal, the louder the sounds will be), what drive mode the vehicle is in (Sport related drive modes increase engine sounds) etc. etc.

I have attached a press release describing ANC and the synthesized engine sounds. Yes, it is technically a Dubai press release, but it applies to all Lincoln Aviators. ;)
We can also find videos describing ANC on the Lincoln Owner website.

If anyone feels they have sounds/noises other than that, it would be best to set up a service appointment, demonstrate it to the Service Team, and let them properly diagnose and repair it if necessary.

Why do Lincoln and other automakers do this? Well, there are reasons, but I am not going to explain them unless someone can not fathom why, and would really, really, absolutely like to know, since it usually only winds up in needless debates. ;)
But as I mentioned above, I wish Lincoln would have a driver setting which allows us to disable it, for those who wish to have a quieter cabin. Personally, I would disable it.

Good luck. 🍻

Attachments

• Lincoln Aviator - Music to Your Ears Final(2).pdf
    165.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Jan 24, 2020
Burr Ridge, IL
I don't think it makes my Navigator loud on the inside. It makes the engine noise when I accelerate. It is not over bearing to me. I like how it sounds. It seems that the Escalades I see have their muffler and exhaust system sound like an F-150 Raptor almost. Haven't driven one, but I bet that sound is transferred inside.

I will make my usual editorial comment here that if there was not this engine noise, people would complain that the vehicle is too quiet and why did the idiots at Lincoln eliminate the cool sound of the engine.

But, again, guessing the vast majority of Lincoln owners who don't post on forums couldn't give two squirts about this and probably don't even notice it. So, why would Lincoln change it for the vast minority?

bbf2530

Oct 12, 2011
I don't think it makes my Navigator loud on the inside. It makes the engine noise when I accelerate. It is not over bearing to me. I like how it sounds. It seems that the Escalades I see have their muffler and exhaust system sound like an F-150 Raptor almost. Haven't driven one, but I bet that sound is transferred inside.

I will make my usual editorial comment here that if there was not this engine noise, people would complain that the vehicle is too quiet and why did the idiots at Lincoln eliminate the cool sound of the engine.

But, again, guessing the vast majority of Lincoln owners who don't post on forums couldn't give two squirts about this and probably don't even notice it. So, why would Lincoln change it for the vast minority?

Hi BL. I agree with you. While it would be nice if it was configurable for enabled/disabled, since sometimes it is nice to have a quiet cabin all the time, even on acceleration (one reason why we buy Lincolns), the synthesized engine sounds do not bother me.

And reasonably thinking, there can't be a button/configuration for everything.

Good luck.