Extended Warranty ?

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

JJP

Hi, looking at possibly purchasing another 2017 Continental but the 4 years on the factory warranty just expired, is it still possible to get an extended bumper to bumper warranty(ok with $100 ded) if the factory warranty has expired? If so, know what the best source is for a reputable source for the warranty? Thanks.

bbf2530

Hi JJP. You can also call the LincolnProtect hotline directly. You may get better information there: https://lincolnprotect.lincoln.com/extended-service-plan

If you decide to purchase, Google "Lincoln ESP sellers". You can get the best prices, by far, by shopping online. I have found the 2 lowest price online sellers of Lincoln/Ford Protect/ESP Plans to be Harold Ziegler For and Food Ford.

After extensive online and local Lincoln/Ford Dealer pricing, I have purchased the Lincoln Protect/ESP Plans for my last 3 Lincolns from Harold Ziegler. Their prices were about $10-20 less than Flood. And Flood was about $$40-50 less than the next best options.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Roger Surette

I’m a “Genuine newbie“to this list... but I am going to just jump in and intro will come later.
I just purchased a 2014 MKZ hybrid with 14500 miles. The cars extended service plan had Expired despite the low mileage. However the local ford dealership ran it through a day long inspection and that coupled with the original owners complete Lincoln service records allowed me to purchase a bumper to bumper plan for 5 years and 75k miles. The plan wasn’t cheap -$2k- but I think it’s worth it in peace of mind alone. Roger

JJP

Thanks for info guys. I have a 2017 that I love and was a 70K msrp with warranty expiring in a couple weeks but it doesn't have the 30 way,Revel 19, HID headlights and a couple more things so thinking of trading it for another one that has everything I want but warranty literally just expired a couple weeks ago so wanted to make sure I could get an extended on it after the warranty passed.
Do you know what month in 2016 the very first came off the assembly?
Was there rhyme or reason as to what cars had the door handle recall and which didn't, or was it all of them?

MarkX

Was there rhyme or reason as to what cars had the door handle recall and which didn't, or was it all of them?
It seems the earlier cars all had the component that triggered the precautionary recall. If for some reason you cannot get the recall applied to your car, it might make sense to see if you develop any problems before spending any money on it although I do not think it is a big-deal fix.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Thanks for info guys. I have a 2017 that I love and was a 70K msrp with warranty expiring in a couple weeks but it doesn't have the 30 way,Revel 19, HID headlights and a couple more things so thinking of trading it for another one that has everything I want but warranty literally just expired a couple weeks ago so wanted to make sure I could get an extended on it after the warranty passed.
Do you know what month in 2016 the very first came off the assembly?
My car was built in January 2017 and was subject to the "recall". In my case, I had an outside rear door handle fail to open the car door. The latch was diagnosed as the failure and Lincoln said to replace all exterior door handles if one fails. Also needs to be done if the handle light fails. The replacement first requires the handle be painted to the body colour which can take a while. I posted a thread: Outside door handle switches that includes what is painted in post #16. There was a recall when the door latch did not properly latch and could open. I don't think my car was involved in that, but could be part of the replacement of all door latches if one fails to open. Note that even black cars need handles painted to match body colour since the handles are a matt black when new.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
It seems the earlier cars all had the component that triggered the precautionary recall. If for some reason you cannot get the recall applied to your car, it might make sense to see if you develop any problems before spending any money on it although I do not think it is a big-deal fix.
I think it is a big deal to fix: buy new handle that is large and complex and electronic and must be painted body colour, power off electrical system, remove inner panel and replace the handle set, put everything back together. I had this done on 4 handles and later on a replacement of one of the handles when the light failed. The car was in the shop for a long time so labour is probably expensive. But the car operates perfectly and door panels fit perfectly and still no rattles, such as when clips are broken and not replaced.

MarkX

even black cars need handles painted to match body colour since the handles are a matt black when new.
Unless one can live with matt black handles.

My black "2019" was manufactured in late 2018 and was recalled and the work carried out by Lincoln while it was still in the company fleet before i bought it. I am not sure what is meant by "handle" but nothing looks out of place.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Unless one can live with matt black handles.

My black "2019" was manufactured in late 2018 and was recalled and the work carried out by Lincoln while it was still in the company fleet before i bought it. I am not sure what is meant by "handle" but nothing looks out of place.
Since the outside mirrors lower part is painted body colour the matt black handles will really stand out.

Attached are some views: of the new door handle, the painted lower part of door handle, and the front and rear door handles on my car (just below the side window glass.

I think the recall was for the door latch and not the handle. The latch sometimes would not actually latch and so was a safety hazard (Recall). The door handles switch not operating the latch is an inconvenience.

Attachments

• Continental new door handle .jpg
    Continental new door handle .jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Continental new door handle painted.jpg
    Continental new door handle painted.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 10
  • eye height 2 black.jpg
    eye height 2 black.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 10

MarkX

Attached are some views: of the new door handle, the painted lower part of door handle, and the front and rear door handles on my car (just below the side window glass.
Thanks for the photos. I can see how that would be a problem on your car or other light-colored cars. Now that you have sensitized me to the issue, I am sure I will be unable to not check it out on mine.
I think the recall was for the door latch and not the handle.
Yes, I believe you are correct on that, too. But I am still confused. If it was a LATCH issue, why did your HANDLE have to be replaced?

Last edited:

MarkX

P. S. When I was in the market to buy a Conti, I looked at a white Reserve and I distinctly remember that the underside of the door handles were matt black. I think it is a great aesthetic idea to match those with the body color as you did, if a bit costly, I am sure, to do.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Thanks for the photos. I can see how that would be a problem on your car or other light-colored cars. Now that you have sensitized me to the issue, I am sure I will be unable to not check it out on mine.

Yes, I believe you are correct on that, too. But I am still confused. If it was a LATCH issue, why did your HANDLE have to be replaced?
There are 2 separate issues:
1. the recall was for a latch that may not latch correctly or become unlatched while the car is moving which is a safety issue and must be corrected by the manufacturer subject to regulation. The latch is hidden behind the door panel with an opening facing the striker (rectangular shaped fitting on the body aligned with the latch). When the door closes the latch grabs the striker and clamps the two together. The door can then be locked. The Continental has a sophisticated electronic latch that allows the door latch to pull itself closed when just touching the striker. The latch is operated electronically by the modules through the switch in the door handle.

2. The door handle has an electronic switch that you pull toward you to release the latch and open the door. The switch is electronically connected to the latch through the cars electronic modules. The electronic switch is an integral part of the handle as is the light that illuminates the door handle area. If the switch fails then a new handle is required but it is not a safety issue since the inside switch works and there is a mechanical handle on the driver door panel. If an outside door handle fails then Lincoln says to replace all 4 door handles. When a Lincoln dealer has your car in for service then they check the status of your VIN. That would show any recalls, etc such as in item 1 above and the work would be done or scheduled for another visit if parts are not yet available. So the handle switch problem is an owner observed problem and not a recall of a number of cars by VIN, a significant inconvenience for sure.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
P. S. When I was in the market to buy a Conti, I looked at a white Reserve and I distinctly remember that the underside of the door handles were matt black. I think it is a great aesthetic idea to match those with the body color as you did, if a bit costly, I am sure, to do.
So, in that example, the outside door handles had been replaced but not painted as required by Lincoln. Body colour painting of door handles is not an owner extra cost option. Not all dealers are created equal and the painting is not easy for a professional paint shop who will want to dismantle the complicated unit, but cannot since Lincoln forbids it. Some dealerships take the trouble to consult with owners and some don't I guess. Pretty easy to negotiate what can be done and how it will look. After my discussion with my dealer on the paint issue I mocked up some examples of what would look nice and match with the mirrors body colour for lower part. Dealer and their paint shop easily complied and it looks great just like the factory job. Needs 2 coats though as dealer told me.

MarkX

Oddly enough, the Carfax report for the white car that I did not buy makes no mention of the door latch recall. I don't know how Carfax works with regard to tracking service but I would expect dealer work to be reported. In fact, the Carfax report has no service entries before 16,545 miles which cannot reflect the care that would have been taken in the FoMoCo X-Plan fleet. Therefore, I would guess that Lincoln may have fixed it "in-house" without a Carfax report but it is odd that they would not have then also done the thorough job of painting out the underside of the door handle. I'm glad I didn't buy that one.

In any event, you did the right thing by insisting on the full treatment.

Roger Surette

I’m a “Genuine newbie“to this list... but I am going to just jump in and intro will come later.
I just purchased a 2014 MKZ hybrid with 14500 miles. The cars extended service plan had Expired despite the low mileage. However the local ford dealership ran it through a day long inspection and that coupled with the original owners complete Lincoln service records allowed me to purchase a bumper to bumper plan for 5 years and 75k miles. The plan wasn’t cheap -$2k- but I think it’s worth it in peace of mind alone. Roger