Electric Seat Not Moving Forward and Backwards. Clicking sound with switch and ignition.

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

trosaschi

Jan 17, 2023
My Lincoln
2002 Continental
My electric seat will no longer move forwards or backwards. When I try, I hear a clicking sound under the seat. When I turn off the ignition, I hear the same clicking sound. Any idea what I need to do to fix this? It is stuck in one position and my wife can no longer drive the car.

Action

Aug 12, 2005
Phoenix, AZ 85008-1418
The clicking is the electrical part of the power seat system working. It is either a relay or the motor kicking in. Typically when this happens and there is no seat movement, it means something physically is obstructing seat movement.
Either a foreign object is in the way. Or some physical damage has occurred to the seat track or the seat track mechanism.

Usually seat removal is necessary to inspect the cause. The seat sits too low to the floor to see much. The seat is attached to the body of teh vehicle with 4 bolts or 4 studs with nuts. Access to those is from under the vehicle. Then the electrical needs to be disconnected so the seat can be turned upside down or removed in totality.

Action

trosaschi

Jan 17, 2023
My Lincoln
2002 Continental
Thanks Action, I was able to remove the front bolts, but the rear bolts are hidden because the seat is in the backwards position so no access. I did inspect the tracks carefully. I suspect the track needs to be replaced. I will search around for parts and a mechanic that can replace the track/motor.

bbf2530

Oct 12, 2011
My electric seat will no longer move forwards or backwards. When I try, I hear a clicking sound under the seat. When I turn off the ignition, I hear the same clicking sound. Any idea what I need to do to fix this? It is stuck in one position and my wife can no longer drive the car.

Hi trosaschi and welcome to the Lincoln Forums. As Action stated, there is either some sort of mechanical issue, or the seat movement is being blocked by something under the seat.

My blind Internet diagnosis would lean towards a malfunction, since by your description of the "clicking sound", it seems the motor is operating. But play if safe and check under the seat for any obstructions.

Is your 2020 Continental still within the 4 year/50,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty?

If yes, call the Service Department of your Lincoln Dealer and set up a service appointment. It will be diagnosed and corrected under warranty. And if you will need a Lincoln complementary loaner, let them know when you call for the appointment.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

trosaschi

Jan 17, 2023
My Lincoln
2002 Continental
Thanks bbf2530,

This is a 2002 and not a 2020. I may even have a challenge finding parts. I imagine this would be a rather expensive repair if I just surrendered the vehicle. Bringing in my own parts might save some.

bbf2530

Oct 12, 2011
Thanks bbf2530,

This is a 2002 and not a 2020. I may even have a challenge finding parts. I imagine this would be a rather expensive repair if I just surrendered the vehicle. Bringing in my own parts might save some.

Hi trosaschi. Oooops...Sorry, I misread your profile model year. Brain cloud! 🙃

Good luck.