Dual exhaust for town car.

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
Hello Lincoln lover’s. Has anybody put duals on a town car? If so what set up and how does it sound? Thanks for any input.
Hi, Ghost133.

Dual exhaust was a factory option for most "panther" Town Cars as part of the optional "factory towing package," on the years where it was not in fact standard.

If you install the exhaust correctly, you will reduce back-pressure in the exhaust system, allowing for better over-all performance. Yet, you will also have it sound like a Lincoln, I.E. silent.

Lincolns aren't supposed to sound like two stereotypical Harleys mating in your driveway, or anything at all. In fact, the only thing quieter than a properly set-up Lincoln would be a Tesla, but that is in fact the charm of a luxury car.

If you try to retrofit a factory (or near-factory) dual exhaust system to your Lincoln, the left exhaust hanger by the rear axle will actually be more difficult to track down than the actual "h-pipe" that makes it a dual exhaust system. From the cats forward, it's the identical factory system whether single or dual, so at least that problem is avoided.

To gain the full performance benefit, you will need to "flash" your PCM to take the dual exhaust into account. So, while you will gain "part" of the benefit just by installing the dual exhaust, I would wait until I had fitted all planned performance-enhancing changes to the car before having the PCM flashed. These would include such "goodies" as the P71 MAF sensor and airbox, the Motorcraft Performance Mustang intake, etc.

If you go with NOS Motorcraft Parts, you will likely end up with the Crown Vic P71 h-pipe. If you do, be ready to put extensions on the tail end of the h-pipe, though your year of LTC might not need them.

The mufflers are the same, as are the resonators, if you can find them. The resonators seem to be "unicorns," so either find and guard them with your life, or deal with the [only an OCD person with perfect hearing can tell the difference] straight pipes from aft of the rear axle to the rear bumper.

For the 1998-2011 Town Cars, the "limo" h-pipe is a better option than the P71 if you can't find the "regular Lincoln" h-pipe. A hacksaw is after all much easier to use than a welder.

Just my experience on my 2001. Your mileage may differ. :)

Good luck.

wolf_walker

Generally you can't hear the exhaust over the power steering pump or that set of bearings that go whiney in the 4r70w with age.
Or the wind noise from the gigantic side view mirrors.
Or the HVAC being wide open this time of year where I live. :D

I would check the local self serve salvage yards, I've seen way more TC's of all gens with than without duals, most of them factory.
My 04's has a bunch of very purposeful NVH damping weights on it and is generally made quite well. Failing that an honest exhaust shop
would be my next stop given the amount of laborious grief such often is, tell them you want it quiet(if you want it quiet) and where you want the tips to exit. I'd like to be able to hear mine a hair more since I don't have a tach, but not enough to go mucking with it.
My 90 was a well made system too but clearly more old-school and less high tech, it was about the right level of audible, meaning ignorable
but you could listen and hear it if you tried in normal use.
Factory towing package car with LSD and such that one was.

The crown vic guys can tell you a lot about what sounds right on these cars with the 4.6 fwiw.

dave42

Leander, TX C.K.U.
Ghost, from your question it sounds like you'd like the idea of a hot rod lincoln? :)

There are some folks who have put louder mufflers in place of standard for that reason. I couldn't tell you what they sound like, but the factory duals are very quiet as Brian said. My '95 Signature had factory duals as well as my '03. Same quiet.

Ghost133

Ridgeway SC
Ghost, from your question it sounds like you'd like the idea of a hot rod lincoln? :)

There are some folks who have put louder mufflers in place of standard for that reason. I couldn't tell you what they sound like, but the factory duals are very quiet as Brian said. My '95 Signature had factory duals as well as my '03. Same quiet.
Yes I miss the sound of my 1984 mustang with Flowmaster’s. I know Lincoln purists believe Lincoln’s should be quiet. I want the ride of a Lincoln but the sound of a mustang.

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
Yes I miss the sound of my 1984 mustang with Flowmaster’s. I know Lincoln purists believe Lincoln’s should be quiet. I want the ride of a Lincoln but the sound of a mustang.
Hi, Ghost133.

It's your car, set it up how you like it. I like to drive fast (subject to legal and safety restrictions.) I personally don't like to look fast or sound fast.

The typical traffic safety officer, if he didn't notice who tripped the alarm on his speed gun, is first going to pull over and ticket the motorist who looks fast, I.E. the Camaro, Mustang, etc. Failing that, he will pull over the motorist who sounds fast, I.E. the person running headers and glass-packs. Some even go for the fast sounding one first, since you can always write the "broken tailpipe" along with the speeding ticket.

Myself, I let the kids "feed the bears," and motor safely in quiet contentment.

You might want to think about having something more impressive in front of the h-pipe than a bone-stock 4.6, too. If the engine is anemic, then running straight pipes makes the car sound like you have a broken exhaust more than that you have a fast car.

The "Hot Rod Lincoln" isn't a bad idea if done right. After all, the Lincoln Capris were a force to contend with at the original Carrera Panamericana.

Good luck.

robertjoynes

Hello Lincoln lover’s. Has anybody put duals on a town car? If so what set up and how does it sound? Thanks for any input.
My 94 came with dual exhaust. I saw a video on YouTube where a young guy changed the configuration by eliminating the cats and put Thrush (I think) mufflers on it. It had a decent sound but not one I want to hear everywhere I go.

HTML