Driving Modes

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Pirate Ship

So my 2020 Corsair Reserve has a driving mode called Deep Snow / Ruts. It is supposed to be full time all wheel drive and you are warned against driving in this mode on dry pavement. But the owners manual also says (if equipped.) Last Winter I selected that drive mode and it was no different than my Normal mode. Power to the rear wheels dropped off right as soon as I got moving. It appears that you have to order traction lock differentials for this mode to work. In the Winter I use Wet/Slippery mode which does keep 20% power to the rear wheels. I guess I thought that Intelligent All Wheel Drive would not need traction lock differentials. Is the Intelligent part only between the front and rear axles and not to all the wheels at the same time?

syl

I'm not sure of how the mode works mechanically, but last winter at one point I realized that I'd forgotten to change *out* of Deep Snow mode. The trigger was that it seemed to not be shifting the transmission past 2nd gear, so there may be more going on than differential locking. I presume that "if equipped" in this case refers to all-wheel drive (as opposed to front-wheel drive only). I'm not sure that Corsair has any sort of locking differential available, but if we're not supposed to use Deep Snow on dry pavement, I suppose that indeed it's trying to keep the wheels working in sync in that mode. I wonder if my service manual explains any detail (I don't find any with a cursory glance through section headings ...)

Pirate Ship

Interesting, my drive mode defaults to Normal every time I start the car. My car came with intelligent all wheel drive. Traction Lock differentials were an option in 2020. It was my owners manual that describes each driving modes operation. So the Deep Snow and Ruts mode on my car is no different than my Normal mode (dealership confirmed this) because I don't have the traction lock differentials. I just thought that intelligent all wheel drive would split power not just between front and rear axles but side to side when needed. And maybe it does but I have yet to experience it. The deepest snow I've driven in has only been about 6 or 7 inches. The Slippery/Wet mode got me through that with no wheel spin. I think the Slippery/Wet mode also reduces throttle input like Economy mode. Maybe there is a YouTube video describing the operation of this system.

syl

Interesting, my drive mode defaults to Normal every time I start the car.
Oh, so does mine. I had explicitly used Deep Snow mode, but forgotten to switch back to normal when I didn't need it ...

The deepest snow I've driven in has only been about 6 or 7 inches.
So ... like summer, you mean... ;-)

The Slippery/Wet mode got me through that with no wheel spin. I think the Slippery/Wet mode also reduces throttle input like Economy mode.
Possibly. I agree that it works well in "snow, but not deep snow" conditions.