Drivers Door will not open

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Docrpm

Jan 24, 2023
My Lincoln
2019 Continental
When I drove home last night the driver's door would not open. I had to climb out of the passenger front door. Is there a quick fix or do I need to go to the dealership?

Action

Aug 12, 2005
Phoenix, AZ 85008-1418
Do you hear the door latch engage and disengage?
If yes it is possible in very cold weather that the rubber has stuck to the body of the car.
When the door is opened, cleaning and treating the weatherstrips would be needed.

If the latch is not operating, that is not a quick fix.

Action

Last edited:

Docrpm

Jan 24, 2023
My Lincoln
2019 Continental
No - it door does not open from the outside or inside and there is no sound from either action.

bbf2530

Oct 12, 2011
No - it door does not open from the outside or inside and there is no sound from either action.

Hi Doc. If the door is not frozen shut, then the electronic door handle/latch may have failed. Did you try using the emergency/manual door release on the inside of the driver door? Or the manual key unlock at the rear of the Lincoln logo strip on the outside of the drivers door. Will they operate the door?

If the electronic door latch has failed, there is no "quick fix". And if still within warranty, you don't want to use a quick fix anyway.

See if the interior emergency/manual release will open the door from the inside. Although it may not help you get into the vehicle, it may allow you to get out.
And although it may only unlock (but no open) the door, also try the manual lock keyhole on the outside of the door.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Docrpm

Jan 24, 2023
My Lincoln
2019 Continental
Hi,

Thanks for this idea - I never knew there was a hole for a key. I stuck my key in and unlocked the door - great!! But now, the problem is the door will not latch.?