Driver door won’t open

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

JDH

Mar 24, 2021
Tried to enter my 2017 Continental Reserve and my door wouldn’t open. After climbing into the drivers side thru the passenger side, I discovered the door wouldn’t open from the inside either. This includes using the door latch on the door. Very disappointing, I truly want to like this car but, this is unacceptable!

MarkX

Aug 31, 2020
Obviously, there is something more serious than just lubrication going on here. I hope you will be taking this to another dealer for a more thorough evaluation of what the problem is. Had the car been hit, by any chance?

jhartz

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Jan 19, 2018
Virginia Beach, VA
Door handles and locks are a known problem on 17 Continentals: all fixed/replaced under warranty.

If the fob works, roll the window down by holding the "unlock button" then reach in and pull the lower emergency release on the driver side door.

G-550354

Door would not open using the inside latch

jhartz

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Jan 19, 2018
Virginia Beach, VA
Couple more tricks before you get it truck lifted to the dealer: if you can get to the hood release, open the hood, disconnect the battery cable and wait while the capacitors empty (about an hour) or touch the negative cable to the positive post and reconnect to see if the locking mechanism has reset; remove the key from the fob and try to unlock it from the lock on the Continental logo, again, to reset the driver side locking circuits.

djammons

Jun 24, 2019
Any update on what the issues was? My wife has a 17 Continental but so far no issues with the doors. I just bought a 2020 new one for myself.

JDH

Mar 24, 2021
It’s working correctly now, I’ve read where there’s been trouble with the door actuators preventing doors from opening.
In my case, I believe what happened is. My door didn’t pull itself shut all the way as it’s supposed to. I believe it’s called E latch or easy close.
So the car thought the door was open when it wasn’t. I was getting the “Door Ajar” message on the dash also. I couldn’t open the door from outside, inside and even the inside lever didn’t work. Very frustrating. I had to disconnect battery to reset everything and now it’s working again. Truly a PITA.

jhartz

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Jan 19, 2018
Virginia Beach, VA
I think you need to take it to the dealer -- the 2017s had a recall for door handle/lock issues. As I understand the recall order, it will be covered even if outside warranty.

JDH

Mar 24, 2021
As we all know, the dealership won’t replace a part if its working. At this time it’s working.

jhartz

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Jan 19, 2018
Virginia Beach, VA
As we all know, the dealership won’t replace a part if its working. At this time it’s working.
Given this is a recall under warranty, it might be worthwhile to call the dealer (or Concierge) for their opinion. When I took mine in, it was working (the pawl would stick in 'locked' position -- they replaced all four . . .

JDH

Mar 24, 2021
Is this a recall under the new car warranty which is four years 50,000 miles? Which mine is no longer under. I did purchase the premium care warranty but I’m finding out that there’s a lot of fine print that they do not cover. As with this reverse light issue that I’m currently dealing with.

jhartz

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Jan 19, 2018
Virginia Beach, VA
Make the call

BSmith81

Aug 29, 2020
Jonesboro, GA
Is this a recall under the new car warranty which is four years 50,000 miles? Which mine is no longer under. I did purchase the premium care warranty but I’m finding out that there’s a lot of fine print that they do not cover. As with this reverse light issue that I’m currently dealing with.

If the door latch recall is open under your VIN, then warranty has nothing to do with it. It's labeled by Ford as a safety recall and has no expiration and can be done at any time. The recall will replace all 4 door latches with new latches. Give your local Ford dealer a call and give them the VIN and they'll check to see if the recall is open for your car.

JDH

Mar 24, 2021
What if my car’s vin is not open for this recall? Now my passenger door is acting up. Have to keep trying to open the door before it finally opens.

BSmith81

Aug 29, 2020
Jonesboro, GA
What if my car’s vin is not open for this recall? Now my passenger door is acting up. Have to keep trying to open the door before it finally opens.

Then you'd have to get a diagnosis to find out what's wrong. Usually the standard for a diagnosis is one hour of labor. Once they determine what all is wrong, then they'll price everything out with parts and labor to replace the parts and tax.

jhartz

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Jan 19, 2018
Virginia Beach, VA
JDH: Seriously, only the dealer (or a Lincoln rep) can answer your question. YOU have to contact them. If it is a 2017 vehicle, there was a cross the board warranty recall. They replaced all four door openers, for me, for Town, for others. Only a dealer can work this for you. These locks -- for the 2016/early 2017 build were bad. They fixed them, for free, . . . . Please make the call!

jhartz

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Jan 19, 2018
Virginia Beach, VA
I can't seem to find the thread, which I think Town opened, that first discussed this issue. Search tool is not working for me.

CARR142

Jul 22, 2011
CHERRY HILL, NJ
I can't seem to find the thread, which I think Town opened, that first discussed this issue. Search tool is not working for me.

ElViktor

Aug 6, 2022
My Lincoln
2017 Select 3.7
Tried to enter my 2017 Continental Reserve and my door wouldn’t open. After climbing into the drivers side thru the passenger side, I discovered the door wouldn’t open from the inside either. This includes using the door latch on the door. Very disappointing, I truly want to like this car but, this is unacceptable!
I have a 2017 continental Select I’m going through the same thing starting yesterday. Driver door won’t open from outside nor inside, nor will the Manuel release latch open the door. I tried to key by inserting it in the hiding spot on the right side CONTINENTAL emblem but that didn’t work either. I haven’t tried disconnecting the battery yet but I don’t want to cause any electrical damage.