Drive modes: Conserve vs Normal

amydavis52

Anyone see a measurable difference in fuel efficiency between the Conserve and Normal drive modes? I’ve tried experimenting with my ‘19 Navigator. Left it in Conserve mode for a few weeks of day to day driving. My average MPG is still sitting at 15.4, didn’t budge at all. For the noticeable drop in performance and no gain in mpg, I switched it back to normal. Just wondering if it takes longer to notice a difference?

bbf2530

Anyone see a measurable difference in fuel efficiency between the Conserve and Normal drive modes? I’ve tried experimenting with my ‘19 Navigator. Left it in Conserve mode for a few weeks of day to day driving. My average MPG is still sitting at 15.4, didn’t budge at all. For the noticeable drop in performance and no gain in mpg, I switched it back to normal. Just wondering if it takes longer to notice a difference?

Hi amy. It is difficult to compare fuel mileage on the fly like that. To accurately determine mpg's, you will need to drive for at least a full tank or two of fuel and calculate fuel mileage by hand (miles driven by gallons filled). Even then, you can only get an accurate comparison if you drive the exact same routes, in the exact same manner, with the exact same traffic, weather etc.. in each drive mode, then calculate and compare.

The information center fuel mileage is usually calculated by averaging the previous ~500 miles of driving. So it will take some time to change.

Good luck.

Okladoug

I always drive in conserve and use auto stop/start. I have a 2018 rwd. The ecoboost mileage is amazing. I am averaging 20.9 with 46,000 miles . I can get 500 miles out of a tank often. I have always used regular instead of premium also. The mileage on my 2016 MKC was only 2-3 miles better so I couldn't be happier. I always check my tire pressure and change my air filter regularly.

Corsart

The difference in shift points is noticeable in my Corsair, which would in both theory and practice result in a difference in mpg: Your car downshifting more aggressively will decrease mpg. How much depends on how aggressively you drive x actual driving conditions.

dlcorbett

In the expy, it shows instant mpg and a graph to help you adjust your driving to get better mileage, idk if the nav has this though. Conserve mode only rele works if you adjust your driving habits. If you drive conservative in normal, which will net you better mpgs, doing the same type of driving in conserve will get you the best possible. Idk how.mny Niles is on your truck, but it took my expy 5k to get the epa figures, it then beat those figures regularly after. Also, I've noticed the eoboost did not like running btw 70-80mph. I would get 25 to 30 btw 60 and 65mph, 24 at 69mph, but below 21 above 74mph. If your running over 70mph, your avg won't increase at all.