Doing a complete tune up on my 02 Sig this spring...Motorcraft or ?????

Norms1stTC

So the 02 Sig Series has developed a low throttle misfire/hiccup with no CEL after going through a car wash with underspray, I'm thinking coil or water in plug boot. Too cold at the moment to start chasing the problem. Any body have this happen on their 4.6L ?

Irregardless, I'm doing a complete tune up this spring.

So... I'm going to do a complete tune up this coming spring and was looking for info on what coils, plugs, air filters, fuel filters, sensors, etc.. etc... Everyone is using. My gut feeling tells me to stick with Motorcraft only, but the 8 coils alone are a fortune. Has anyone had any luck with aftermarket parts from say eBay or Amazon or daily driver ones on Rock Auto ? Thanks.

Ford doesn't make the parts it just sends out bid to various companies to have the products made and the motorcrap logo slapped on. In some instances it makes sense like electronic modules and other things that the AM hasn't reproduced.

I use AC Delco plugs as I've been using them a long time and haven't had a issue. About the only motorcraft things I'd stick with is Blend Door Actuator and intake manifold everything else I look for a AM solution and adjust accordingly.

bbf2530

So the 02 Sig Series has developed a low throttle misfire/hiccup with no CEL after going through a car wash with underspray, I'm thinking coil or water in plug boot. Too cold at the moment to start chasing the problem. Any body have this happen on their 4.6L ?

Irregardless, I'm doing a complete tune up this spring.

So... I'm going to do a complete tune up this coming spring and was looking for info on what coils, plugs, air filters, fuel filters, sensors, etc.. etc... Everyone is using. My gut feeling tells me to stick with Motorcraft only, but the 8 coils alone are a fortune. Has anyone had any luck with aftermarket parts from say eBay or Amazon or daily driver ones on Rock Auto ? Thanks.

Hi Norm. Your question will obviously get a lot of opinion based replies, and here is one: I would recommend what I do myself (for ~46 years), and that would be to stick with Motorcraft parts.

Not sure where you have done your price shopping so far. However, if you do a Google search of "Online Ford Parts sellers", you can find a lot of lower pricing.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Corsart

While Ford doesn't manufacture all those little parts, they do require the parts to be made to very precise and detailed specs., and then they warranty those parts and their performance. Those parts really are engineered precisely for application for your Ford vehicle..I know I sound like a commercial for Ford here, but unless you're really strapped for cash, then Motorcraft is your best, safest and most efficient choice.

Norms1stTC

Ford doesn't make the parts it just sends out bid to various companies to have the products made and the motorcrap logo slapped on. In some instances it makes sense like electronic modules and other things that the AM hasn't reproduced.

I use AC Delco plugs as I've been using them a long time and haven't had a issue. About the only motorcraft things I'd stick with is Blend Door Actuator and intake manifold everything else I look for a AM solution and adjust accordingly.
Thank you, I was thinking the same thing.

Norms1stTC

I use OEM whenever possible.
I think I will as far as the fuel filter and air filter and coils go, the plugs and sensors I may do AM on them. I have seen some coil packs of 8 on RockAuto for like $175.00 usd, so they're not really out of the question either. Some reviews on AM parts are good, some are not.. who knows these days, I guess it's just buy what you feel happy with anymore.

Norms1stTC

Hi Norm. Your question will obviously get a lot of opinion based replies, and here is one: I would recommend what I do myself (for ~46 years), and that would be to stick with Motorcraft parts.

Not sure where you have done your price shopping so far. However, if you do a Google search of "Online Ford Parts sellers", you can find a lot of lower pricing.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Thanks for the info

Corsart

I think I will as far as the fuel filter and air filter and coils go, the plugs and sensors I may do AM on them. I have seen some coil packs of 8 on RockAuto for like $175.00 usd, so they're not really out of the question either. Some reviews on AM parts are good, some are not.. who knows these days, I guess it's just buy what you feel happy with anymore.
Norm, you have to go with what's comfortable, but I think you've got this one backwards: If you go aftermarket I think it's safest to go with the filters (just get a known brand name and not eBay), and budget for MC for the more "Advanced" parts, like coil packs and engine sensors. The stds of filtration are fairly easy for AM manufacturers to easily meet or exceed (and for you to notice with the naked eye), then it is to get something fairly complex like electrical or mechanical parts. Think of it this way: How often would you expect to see someone stranded by a failed air filter Vs. a faulty/failed coil pack, and use that as your decision guide.

bbf2530

Hi Norm. You need to do what is comfortable and makes sense for you, as Corsart stated. However, I agree with and will repeat what he stated above.

I realize you are trying to save as much money as you can. We all like to. However, in my opinion, you should stick with Motorcraft, especially for the more complex parts. Yes, spending more money for the more complex/expensive parts is counterintuitive to saving money, but sometimes we just have to spend the money.

Even something as seemingly simple as plugs can be an issue. I know many people have good luck with aftermarket/ OEM plugs. However, I have seen many owners use aftermarket plugs, then wind up switching back to Motorcraft after having issues. While this seems to be more prevalent with the newer, turbocharged engines (which i realize yours is not), why take the chance for a few dollars?

Again, just personal opinion...Do some online and local shopping/price comparisons for the best price on the Motorcraft parts, and save your money there.

Let us know how you make out and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Norms1stTC

Norm, you have to go with what's comfortable, but I think you've got this one backwards: If you go aftermarket I think it's safest to go with the filters (just get a known brand name and not eBay), and budget for MC for the more "Advanced" parts, like coil packs and engine sensors. The stds of filtration are fairly easy for AM manufacturers to easily meet or exceed (and for you to notice with the naked eye), then it is to get something fairly complex like electrical or mechanical parts. Think of it this way: How often would you expect to see someone stranded by a failed air filter Vs. a faulty/failed coil pack, and use that as your decision guide.
Very true đź‘Ť

Vladimir2112

With plugs you could trust Bosch. They're pretty much an industry standard. And for good reason. Like these guys said if you go cheap go with the filters. If you work on the Panthers enough you'll see plenty of motorcraft parts that are total junk for a good example the fuel pumps. But do not buy that cheap crap off of eBay .

Norms1stTC

With plugs you could trust Bosch. They're pretty much an industry standard. And for good reason. Like these guys said if you go cheap go with the filters. If you work on the Panthers enough you'll see plenty of motorcraft parts that are total junk for a good example the fuel pumps. But do not buy that cheap crap off of eBay .
Yeah....ebay is out for sure, especially for coils...I'm probably going to go RockAuto daily driver route with most, if not all tune up hardware.

wa9zug

I have used OEM, mostly from Rock, for many years. I have tried aftermarket plugs and switched back to Motorcraft coppers in my 95's.

Last edited:

Corsart

Another route is getting coils from the yard, obviously caveat emptor applies but you could probably get quite a few coils for the cost of OEM ones.
This is one "Emptor" I would not personally risk. Spend.The.Money.on new, if not OEM. +1 for Rock, use their 5% coupon for add'l savings.