Disc problems skipping inner tracks.

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

ThatOneName

May 19, 2022
Iowa
My Lincoln
2006 Town Car Signature Limited
Hello, I got a 2006 town car with 6 disc sound mark head unit. I've burned my own music to dvd-rw and they read just fine. However once it gets into the inner tracks. 15 and above it's starts skipping badly. I was told I could try adjusting the potentiometer. Is that possible would it help?

dave42

Jul 6, 2015
Leander, TX C.K.U.
It is the outer tracks, the disks burn from the inside out. It could be your car player is out of spec, or your burner is out of spec, or a "tolerance stack up" issue where the player and burner are both in-spec but at opposite ends of the range. Anyways, try a factory CD. That will tell you if it is the burner or the player. Cleaning the heads (lasers) of player and burner may help.

I have a similar issue in my '03. It has gotten to where cd's burned with two different burners (including a new one) have problems with the later tracks, but this is only on the in-dash unit. Mine has a 6 CD changer in the trunk and that one plays these same CDs fine.

Good luck.

edit to add: I've not heard of an adjustment inside the unit.

Last edited:

bbf2530

Oct 12, 2011
Hello, I got a 2006 town car with 6 disc sound mark head unit. I've burned my own music to dvd-rw and they read just fine. However once it gets into the inner tracks. 15 and above it's starts skipping badly. I was told I could try adjusting the potentiometer. Is that possible would it help?

Hi TON. Also, Lincoln/Ford back then (2006) recommended that only CD-R discs be used for burned CD's. Using CD-RW's and DVD-RW's can be problematic with auto CD players, as you have discovered.

I would recommend you try burning and playing a CD-R to see if it solves your skipping issue.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

dave42

Jul 6, 2015
Leander, TX C.K.U.
Ah yes, CD-RW. I didn't think of that, as I only use CD-R. That could be part of the issue. But since it reads the early tracks okay, I still think it is just "getting old"

ThatOneName

May 19, 2022
Iowa
My Lincoln
2006 Town Car Signature Limited
Thanks for all the help. I got it to work. I have an older USB rw drive I plugged it into my computer. Set the burn speed to medium in windows media player and re did a blank disc I put it in and it played just fine!