• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Did the Lincoln Continental Fail?

Old Enthusiast

Did the Lincoln Continental fail? Is it getting a second generation? I grew up with Lincolns and Caddys and have owned several throughout the years. I was really excited when I heard about the new Continental. To me, it was the new Continental Town Car. But it seems like a dud. I live in south Florida and I hardly ever see one. "In south Florida". How could that be? I would really love to hear that the Continental will get another generation, which would mean another chance at succeeding.

I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that more people are buying crossovers and trucks. If the car was truly outstanding, it would have sold. You can argue that and believe it if you want. That won't hurt me any.

Ctrcbob

As a former owner tf three great Continentals, two 98’s and one 02, I firmly believe that one reason for the failure of the “new” Continentals is because the new ones (for want of a better term) have “No Snap”, “No Pizzazz”. They look very old fashioned.

I can’t speak for everyone’s new Continental, but mine was a “Turkey”. Many problems. Dealers could not fix or correct. I purchased because reputation, and of the three great previous Continentals I had but this new Continental was a Turkey and I got rid of it pronto.

brucelinc

Minneapolis
While mine has been excellent and extremely comfortable, I agree with Ctrcbob that the styling was WAY too conservative, bland and dowdy. They really have no more road presence than a Taurus, Accord or any other mainstream sedan. However, I think the "failure" is primarily caused by the simple fact is that everyone seems to be moving to these dang SUVs, CUVs and other utilitarian transportation modules that I despise.

brucelinc

Minneapolis
One other comment: We recently drove from Minneapolis to Dallas to visit family. The Continental is the best and most comfortable car for a road trip that I have ever driven. I rent a lot of cars for business travel so I have a decent perspective on this subject. We drove straight through from Dallas back to Minneapolis yesterday with stops only for food and fuel....nearly 1000 miles between 6 AM and 10 PM. No problem.

Old Enthusiast

I'm not a fan of SUVs, but not many people want sedans any more. Personally, I'd like to see a large 2 door Continental like they had in the 90s.
I wouldn't mind a nice coupe. But they're about the most scarce type of car on the road these days.
As a former owner tf three great Continentals, two 98’s and one 02, I firmly believe that one reason for the failure of the “new” Continentals is because the new ones (for want of a better term) have “No Snap”, “No Pizzazz”. They look very old fashioned.

I can’t speak for everyone’s new Continental, but mine was a “Turkey”. Many problems. Dealers could not fix or correct. I purchased because reputation, and of the three great previous Continentals I had but this new Continental was a Turkey and I got rid of it pronto.
No Pizzazz is a very good point. It's true. They blend in and look small on the road. Nobody wants a small flagship Lincoln sedan. If they want to make a small car that people aspire to own, something like Cadillac's failed XLR could work, done right.
One other comment: We recently drove from Minneapolis to Dallas to visit family. The Continental is the best and most comfortable car for a road trip that I have ever driven. I rent a lot of cars for business travel so I have a decent perspective on this subject. We drove straight through from Dallas back to Minneapolis yesterday with stops only for food and fuel....nearly 1000 miles between 6 AM and 10 PM. No problem.
Comfort isn't too complicated.

HTML