• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

"Cost effective" power increases for 2001 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series

Brian J. Patterson

The title pretty much sums it up. Currently the car is "bone stock" with single exhaust. I'm looking for "relatively" inexpensive modifications to increase the power of the car without having it self-destruct. For example, when I have dual exhaust installed, will I need to have the PCM reprogrammed?

Thanks in advance.

jkeaton

Winston Salem, NC
Ohhhhh..... good point. Didn’t think of that. If not, you will need to add 2 O2 sensors. Which would open up a new can of worms.

GBM

There are some engine designs which I do not think it is practical to try to improve. Your engine has a super reputation for being well designed. With all the junk computers trying to control stuff.. you can easily get into a situation where there are no answers anywhere. The car companies spends hundreds of millions of dollars on R AND D. and your engine they did a really good job on. They are so efficient you are not likely to get more than five hp with any outside the engine change you can think of. EA81 Subaru pushrod 1800 engines and the five cylinder Mercedes turbo engines of the early 1980's are another two not worth trying to improve except for Webber carbs on the Sube engine. That engine is a favorite with Experimental Aircraft self builders.

GBM

On the other hand.... a two barrel chrysler 318 engine could acquire an additional 40 percent HP with just adding headers and a four barrel carb. Very cost efficient... just outside the block changes anyone could do.

jkeaton

Winston Salem, NC
I have added a BBK intake, crown Vic intake tube (got rid of the resonators) and an open filter surrounded by a box (quasi warm air intake). Gained me some throttle response and noise. That’s about it. Mines already got duals with a crossover. Only thing I might do in the future is add some performance mufflers. I’m not expecting anything from doing this other than making it sound better. (To me). It’s a 5500 lb car with a small (ish) V8. You can’t expect much without major engine mods.

Brian J. Patterson

Does yours already have catalytic converters on both sides ?
Hello, GBM.

Yes, each side has two converters before the "join." The factory dual exhaust or stainless steel version should bolt up without any modification needed.

I am not looking for "extreme" performance, at least not any time soon. If I were, I would go with the 5.2 liter twin-cam version of the engine for starters. But a few extra horsepower here and there without overstressing the engine would be nice.

GBM

Hello, GBM.

Yes, each side has two converters before the "join." The factory dual exhaust or stainless steel version should bolt up without any modification needed.

I am not looking for "extreme" performance, at least not any time soon. If I were, I would go with the 5.2 liter twin-cam version of the engine for starters. But a few extra horsepower here and there without overstressing the engine would be nice.
How many HP do you think you can get ?

GBM

How will you know ? Are you going to put it on a dyno before and after ?

HTML